The Muslim Vote? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 02:53:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Muslim Vote? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Muslim Vote?  (Read 9726 times)
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« on: December 01, 2009, 11:53:38 PM »

I am guessing Obama would have won the Muslim vote although tough to say the exact numbers is tough as they are quite diverse.  The Black Muslims obviously would have gone heavily for Obama.  Also not all Arabs are Muslim, in fact in the case of Dearborn a large percentage if not the majority are Christian.  I am not sure how relevant this is, but I know in Europe where their Muslim community is large enough to take accurate polls of, they vote overwhelmingly for parties on the left often in the neighbourhood of 80-90% while parties on the right struggle just to get into double digits.  That being said, you also have sections of many European cities that are predominately Muslim, whereas there are few if any such areas in the United States as well as the Muslims in the United States tend to be more moderate and assimilated whereas in Europe you have a sizeable radical element and they are not nearly as assimilated.  Despite being socially conservative, they tend to vote for parties that support maintaining current levels of immigration and embrace multiculturalism as opposed to those who support cutting immigration and assimilation. 

The one area that might have a large enough Muslim population to make an accurate estimate is Los Angeles as they have quite a large Iranian community, although I am not sure their voting patterns are necessarily similiar to other Muslim groups.  It would be interesting to see the results in the areas with the largest concentrations of Iranians in Los Angeles. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies