Why not practically double the ELECTORAL COLLEGE to 1100? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:26:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why not practically double the ELECTORAL COLLEGE to 1100? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why not practically double the ELECTORAL COLLEGE to 1100?  (Read 11510 times)
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -5.39

« on: June 01, 2008, 05:02:02 PM »

Why not just get rid of states altogether? That would solve the problem.
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 07:05:58 AM »

I will say this much about this debate, few people on this board understand the EC.  Not only did the founders not trust the poeple (there are just too many voters with about 2 brain cells a piece who should do their country a favor and not vote), but they didn't want only the major population centers to determine the presidential election.

Do you honestly think any presidential candidate would pay any attention to Wyoming, the Dakotas,  or the People's Republic of Vermont if their were no EC giving them any real input in the election.  Some might argued they are largely ignored now besides maybe a primary election or two but just wait when our presidential election is simply decide by New York city, LA, Chicago, Houston and Dallas (and maybe a hand full of other cities).

That's exactly right as far as the reason the College exists. And I tend to favor keeping things pretty much the same. I do agree that eliminating the EC entirely would cause all but very close elections to be decided by the largest urban areas--and would heavily favor the Democrats. A third option in my mind seems best if we're going to change anything. Getting rid of winner take all and dividing EC votes proportionately according the the popular vote in each state would certainly make things a little more reflective of popular opinion without eliminating  entirely the role that states play in an election.
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 09:04:42 AM »

Wyoming has about 500,000 people and gets a representative while places like california only get 1 representative for every 700,000 or so people. Isn't that biased in favor of the small states? But yes, they do have too much weight in the senate(something I'd solve by turning the senate into a soley ceremonial body).
Montana has over 900,000 in its CD.

The 7 States with a single representative are collectively underrepresented in the House.  They are growing somewhat slower than the country as a whole (all but DE and AK), but once RI loses its 2nd seat the underrepresentation will be maintained.

Coming full circle...good argument for enlarging the House (and the EC by default).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies