Alabama Megathread: Bombshell allegations
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 11:53:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Alabama Megathread: Bombshell allegations
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 73
Author Topic: Alabama Megathread: Bombshell allegations  (Read 161706 times)
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: September 13, 2017, 09:27:56 AM »

Not a word has been said about this on any local news station tonight.

I would actually like to see audio of it.  I wonder if this site has an agenda and is mis-representing something or changing the context (since we don't actually see him ever mention execution in the OP).

Most sane people wouldn't reply "I don't know" if asked if they believe gay people should be executed, but y'know.

Moore is disgusting, but you all are completely misreading the line.

"Well I don’t, you know", which is the same as saying, "As you know, I don't... (support executing gay people)".

That is different from saying, "well I don't know", which is what you guys are reading it as.

But seriously, why let a little thing like grammar get in the way of a good crusade of righteous outrage. Tongue

Wow.

Now I feel stupid for not reading that correctly.

Apology? Wink

I guess so.

I still don't agree with him on social issues, however, so my non-support still stands.  I just hope that the better candidate, whomever he may be, emerges victorious in the end for the sake of the nation.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #326 on: September 13, 2017, 10:31:23 AM »

Yeah, I think he was misinterpreted. Wouldn't be surprised if he actually thinks that, though.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #327 on: September 13, 2017, 10:37:47 AM »
« Edited: September 13, 2017, 10:40:24 AM by Santander »

Bret Baier doesn't want to give Jones any leverage. If Strange was safe in the primary, I could see Baier bringing up ExecutionGate to laugh at Moore even more, but given that there is a significant risk of Moore being nominated, representatives of the GOP must avoid criticizing him to avoid helping Jones gain support.
Bret Baier isn't exactly a "representative of the GOP".  According to a Harvard study, his show is virtually right down the middle- 51% anti-Trump and 49% pro-Trump (which makes it the most right-wing flagship telecast, but it is ever so slightly left-leaning).

Special Report has always been a favorite of anti-Trump "Republicans". To call it left-leaning, even slightly, is hyperbole. It's a fair and serious, but center-right show that attracts a center-right audience.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #328 on: September 13, 2017, 11:06:40 AM »

Bret Baier doesn't want to give Jones any leverage. If Strange was safe in the primary, I could see Baier bringing up ExecutionGate to laugh at Moore even more, but given that there is a significant risk of Moore being nominated, representatives of the GOP must avoid criticizing him to avoid helping Jones gain support.
Bret Baier isn't exactly a "representative of the GOP".  According to a Harvard study, his show is virtually right down the middle- 51% anti-Trump and 49% pro-Trump (which makes it the most right-wing flagship telecast, but it is ever so slightly left-leaning).

Special Report has always been a favorite of anti-Trump "Republicans". To call it left-leaning, even slightly, is hyperbole. It's a fair and serious, but center-right show that attracts a center-right audience.

Maybe we should use politicians to describe where a show leans/where its baises are. Like a slightly center-left show would be a Tim Kaine or something. This is clearly a Ben Sasse
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #329 on: September 13, 2017, 02:27:37 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2017, 02:41:21 PM by ERM64man »

As bad as Strange is, he's far better than Moore. He's the only one who can defeat Moore. If Moore wins, Strange should run a write-in campaign like Murkowski, which is allowed in Alabama. Strange could win a three way race as a write-in, or possibly cause Jones to win.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #330 on: September 13, 2017, 02:51:22 PM »

If Roy Moore wins the GOP runoff, should Luther Strange run as a write-in?
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #331 on: September 13, 2017, 03:39:16 PM »

I suppose this increases the odds of a Democratic victory from 0% to 1%, so... yes?
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #332 on: September 13, 2017, 03:40:46 PM »

I suppose this increases the odds of a Democratic victory from 0% to 1%, so... yes?
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #333 on: September 13, 2017, 03:46:59 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2017, 03:51:28 PM by ERM64man »

A three way race would likely be competitive. Strange could possibly win. Strange would likely get support from the GOP establishment and conservative Trump Democrats.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #334 on: September 13, 2017, 03:51:47 PM »

Bret Baier isn't exactly a "representative of the GOP".  According to a Harvard study, his show is virtually right down the middle- 51% anti-Trump and 49% pro-Trump (which makes it the most right-wing flagship telecast, but it is ever so slightly left-leaning).

Um... This completely ignores how much anti-Trump things on the show are right wing/conservative.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #335 on: September 13, 2017, 03:54:20 PM »

Will Moore win the Trumpist vote in the runoff? Moore didn't even vote for Trump in the GOP primry like Strange did.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #336 on: September 13, 2017, 04:09:30 PM »

Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #337 on: September 13, 2017, 04:18:36 PM »

A three way race would likely be competitive. Strange could possibly win. Strange would likely get support from the GOP establishment and conservative Trump Democrats.

Socially conservative, economically moderate-to-liberal populists (who are probably who conservative Trump Democrats would be in Alabama) are more likely to vote for Moore than Strange probably.

Anyway, doing so would split the GOP vote and make Jones the favorite.  Remember, this isn't Alaska 2010 - Alabama Republicans are conservative enough that Strange positioning himself in the middle wouldn't be that much of a benefit, and racial polarization plus a higher percentage of Black voters in a bad Republican environment means Jones has a pretty concrete floor somewhere around 40 percent.   
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #338 on: September 13, 2017, 04:37:13 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2017, 04:48:50 PM by ERM64man »

Socially conservative, economically moderate-to-liberal populists (who are probably who conservative Trump Democrats would be in Alabama) are more likely to vote for Moore than Strange probably.
No, because Moore is a deficit hawk who supported Ted Cruz in the primary, unlike Strange. Strange is socially conservative and less fiscally conservative than Moore. Strange is a better fit for Blue Dog Democrats than Moore.
PoliticalShelter
« Reply #339 on: September 13, 2017, 04:42:30 PM »

No, because Moore is a deficit hawk who supported Ted Cruz in the primary, unlike Strange. Strange is socially conservative and less fiscally conservative than Moore. Strange is a better fit for Blue Dog Democrats than Moore.

Yes but Moore has a more anti-establishment, populist style and more often than not, style matters much more to voters than actual policy positions.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #340 on: September 13, 2017, 04:46:00 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2017, 04:50:29 PM by ERM64man »

Yes but Moore has a more anti-establishment, populist style and more often than not, style matters much more to voters than actual policy positions.
I can't see Democrats voting for Moore, because Moore voted against Trump in the primary. Strange can use that as an attack campaign.
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #341 on: September 13, 2017, 04:47:31 PM »

Anything to decrease any republicans chances there is fine by me.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #342 on: September 13, 2017, 04:49:19 PM »

Who would win in a three way race?
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #343 on: September 13, 2017, 04:58:40 PM »

Most Likely Moore since he would take most of the Republican vote. Strange would make the race more competitive then it should be but in the end i would think Moore would come on top with most of the republican base minus the suburban voters, wealthier republicans, and other groups like these that could be receptive to voting for Strange.

Roy Moore: 44.7%

Doug Jones: 35.1%
Luther Strange: 18.3%
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #344 on: September 13, 2017, 05:00:08 PM »

I hope the DSCC does totally write this race off. If turnout is low like it was during the first round, it could help Jones pull an upset. Scott Brown all over again.

Scott Brown was elected in a relatively high turnout election.
No he wasn't. He got less votes in 2010 than Romney did in 2012, and Romney lost by a massive margin. It was a very very low turnout election.

That is a very silly comparison. Try comparing the vote totals in Scott Brown's election to, say, the number of voters cast in Ed Markey's 2 elections.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #345 on: September 13, 2017, 05:00:56 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2017, 05:18:17 PM by ERM64man »

Most Likely Moore since he would take most of the Republican vote. Strange would make the race more competitive then it should be but in the end i would think Moore would come on top with most of the republican base minus the suburban voters, wealthier republicans, and other groups like these that could be receptive to voting for Strange.

Roy Moore: 44.7%

Doug Jones: 35.1%
Luther Strange: 18.3%
I think a three way race would be competitive. Strange wins wealthy Republicans, suburban Republicans, and Blue Dog Democrats. I think Moore and Strange would be in a very close race with Jones finishing third. I don't know who would win.

Roy Moore 34% and Luther Strange 34%
Doug Jones 32%
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #346 on: September 13, 2017, 05:22:38 PM »

I hope the DSCC does totally write this race off. If turnout is low like it was during the first round, it could help Jones pull an upset. Scott Brown all over again.

Scott Brown was elected in a relatively high turnout election.
No he wasn't. He got less votes in 2010 than Romney did in 2012, and Romney lost by a massive margin. It was a very very low turnout election.

That is a very silly comparison. Try comparing the vote totals in Scott Brown's election to, say, the number of voters cast in Ed Markey's 2 elections.
Sure it was high turnout for a special election, but that's to be expected considering how much the media hyped up the race. It's still nowhere near high turnout for Massachusetts.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #347 on: September 13, 2017, 05:33:07 PM »

Luther Strange will not run as a write-in candidate. Period. He's a yes man and will support the nominee.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #348 on: September 13, 2017, 05:33:27 PM »

Democrats should tie Republicans everywhere to Roy Moore like Republicans tie Nancy Pelosi to Democrats everywhere.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #349 on: September 13, 2017, 05:42:09 PM »

Democrats should tie Republicans everywhere to Roy Moore like Republicans tie Nancy Pelosi to Democrats everywhere.

This only works if:

1) Moore is actually elected
2) Moore is a prominent figure in the Senate and has consistently high name recongition.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 73  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies