England riots (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 09:50:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  England riots (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: England riots  (Read 14025 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« on: August 11, 2011, 11:11:31 AM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14493497

Funny how when social media helped stoke revolution in Egypt last winter, Cameron was praising it.

Now that there have been riots in England... it's time for the UK Govt to clamp down and control the social media so they can shut it down when the natives get restless.

And per the article, the strongest reaction anybody seems to have against that is "hmm... well there very well could be, perhaps, maybe, an issue of civil rights infringement... but don't quote me on that.. pip pip cheerio... God save the queen!"

I wasn't aware that V for Vendetta was a documentary before its time.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 11:17:05 AM »

I also loved some of the official responses as to why the riots occurred.. like

"a perverted social ethos, which elevates personal freedom to an absolute, and denies the underclass the discipline - tough love - which alone might enable some of its members to escape from the swamp of dependency in which they live".

... just wow.

Yet others blame it on "gangsta rap and culture"... um... 1993 much?

"I once interviewed a boy who said 'just because I like the music doesn't mean I agree with the lyrics', which is true," says Prof FitzGerald. "But it may be a factor when it comes to those who may be particularly susceptible."

Must be the "underclass" he's referring to that's "particularly susceptible".

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 12:13:29 PM »

I also loved some of the official responses as to why the riots occurred.. like

"a perverted social ethos, which elevates personal freedom to an absolute, and denies the underclass the discipline - tough love - which alone might enable some of its members to escape from the swamp of dependency in which they live".

... just wow.

Yet others blame it on "gangsta rap and culture"... um... 1993 much?

"I once interviewed a boy who said 'just because I like the music doesn't mean I agree with the lyrics', which is true," says Prof FitzGerald. "But it may be a factor when it comes to those who may be particularly susceptible."

Must be the "underclass" he's referring to that's "particularly susceptible".

There was also some commentator saying it was the result of a lack of masculine role models' in young peoples' lives Roll Eyes
a million solutions looking for a problem.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies