Swiss Elections & Politics (Next election 2019) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 11:48:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Swiss Elections & Politics (Next election 2019) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Swiss Elections & Politics (Next election 2019)  (Read 98673 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« on: November 02, 2014, 01:45:39 PM »

"reckless human breeding" Jesus I thought population fears died in the 80s.

Why? Human population will not peak before 2100 and resource depletion continues at full speed.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 12:13:07 PM »

@ZuWo: Reposting this gay marriage related post here. How do you see the situation. Does it have a chance? And am I right about how the constitutional change mechanism works?

Actually I'd wager that Switzerland would pass gay marriage via referendum by a surprisingly healthy margin. Yes I know it's Switzerland, but I think opinions in Western Europe have changed so dramatically I imagine even in the most conservative of countries it would grab a majority.

There were two polls conducted in February. One showing 62% of women and 46% of men in favour (with a straight Yes/No question) and one with 71% favourable or somewhat favourable towards gay marriage.
It seems the gay community thinks a referendum is too costly and demanding. They prefer  parliament to agree on a constitutional amendment to grant legal protection for all couples, independent of their sexual identity. The Green Liberals have gotten it through committee in the National Council and will submit the proposal to the Council of States in November. So the process is already under way. I guess it could happen in 2016. You need a majority in both houses incl. a majority of cantons in the Council of States.

There are 46 councillors. 40 from 20 full cantons and 6 from 6 half cantons (Obwalden, Nidwalden, Basel-Stadt, Basel-Landschaft, Appenzell Ausserrhoden and Appenzell Innerrhoden), so 24 councillors representing 14 cantons will be required. So the small Conservative cantons will be the problen.

(though I might be wrong about the details)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies