How often do you read the Bible? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:01:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  How often do you read the Bible? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How often do you read the Bible?  (Read 2229 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: August 24, 2015, 04:46:34 AM »

I read the lectionary daily which includes short OT, NT and Gospel readings plus a Psalm or two.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 04:05:18 PM »

Me too.  I often watch sermon videos or something, and then read the relevant text. 

If I'm in the right mood for it, I tend to plow through a whole book (one of the Gospels or a more lengthy epistle like Romans) in one sitting.

What's your preferred version? Mine is, of course, the KJV.

ESV for study, KJV for beauty.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 05:34:57 AM »

I read it occasionally (mostly online) in order to pick out all the best quotes to show to my Christian friends.

“I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.” (1 Timothy 2:12)

“Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.” (1 Peter 2:18)

"Early in the morning, as Jesus was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, “May you never bear fruit again!” Immediately the tree withered." (Matthew 21:18-22)

"Happy shall they be who take your little ones and dash them against the rock!" (Psalm 137:9)

"If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them: Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place; And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die." (Deuteronomy 21:18-21)

"Make ready to slaughter his sons for the guilt of their fathers; Lest they rise and possess the earth, and fill the breadth of the world with tyrants." (Isaiah 14:21)

Good book.

Sigh....you can find good solid theological resources explaining those verses in their proper context, but I guess you just want to be annoying about it.

You can't just dismiss a criticism by saying "ohh I'm sure there's someone out there who can explain it right."

It's hardly unfair to expect one to have a working knowledge of the material before spouting off, but you just cherry picked some quotes to bring up  non-issues or controversies that were resolved 1900 years ago. Honestly, I'm surprised you didn't try to bring up shellfish or blended fabrics.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 12:58:37 PM »

Resolved 1900 years ago?  You mean before many books were formally  written down, declared canon and before most of the ecumenical councils declared what was doctrine or heresy?

Rise Peter kill and eat.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 05:15:54 PM »

Related

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies