Why should I vote Republican?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:00:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why should I vote Republican?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Why should I vote Republican?  (Read 3400 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2005, 08:49:22 PM »
« edited: July 01, 2005, 08:55:50 PM by nickshepDEM »

I am 40.  I am married with 3 kids.  I work for 45,0000-50,000 dollars a year (construction foreman).  My wife was diagnosed with Crohn's disease at the age of 35.  She is now unable to work.  We live paycheck to paycheck and are unable to afford the Health Insurance my work provides.  The public schools in my area are sufficient.  If my children keep up their grades they will be able to attend a public magnet high school, which happends to be one of the best schools in the state.  My oldest son (me) attends college, but relies on grants, loans, and what little money his grandparents can put up.

(This my father and family by the way.)

In GENERAL, why should we vote Republican?  What do the Republicans have to offer us, for our life?  How will it make our lives easier and better?  How will they improve our community?

Rule 1: Answers may NOT include the word "Democrat" or any reference to other parties.  This isn't about other parties; this is about the Republican party.

Rule 2: Answers may not be in the form of what you are not.  One does not define oneself by saying what you're not; rather, you state what you are.

Rule 3: No bloviating.  Keep it simple.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 08:52:44 PM »

You shouldn't unless you're a decent person. Government isn't there to 'offer' stuff to you or 'improve' your community. It's about justice and order.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 08:59:29 PM »

Suppose I am 40.  I am married with 3 kids.  I work for 45,0000-50,000 dollars a year (construction foreman).  My wife was diagnosed with Crohn's disease at the age of 35.  She is now unable to work.  We live paycheck to paycheck and are unable to afford the Health Insurance my work provides.  The public schools in my area are sufficient.  If my children keep up their grades they will be able to attend a public magnet high school, which happends to be one of the best schools in the state.  My oldest son (me) attends college, but relies on grants, loans, and what little money his grandparents can put up.

(This is my father by the way)

In GENERAL, why should we vote Republican?  What do the Republicans have to offer us, for our life?  How will it make our lives easier and better?  How will they improve our community?

Rule 1: Answers may NOT include the word "Democrat" or any reference to other parties.  This isn't about other parties; this is about the Republican party.

Rule 2: Answers may not be in the form of what you are not.  One does not define oneself by saying what you're not; rather, you state what you are.

Good question.  I think Republican policies are generally geared to people who have the ability and desire to improve their economic circumstances through their own efforts.

Republicans are not strong for people who have disabilities and the like.

One possible reason could be that you live in an area threatened by crime, and believe that Republican policies will more effectively control crime (look at NYC).

I am a partisan Republican, but I recognize that each party's policies and highlighted concerns have certain blind spots.  I find the blind spots in the Democrats' policies to be more harmful to my own interests, but I recognize why some others would see it differently.  The question is, which policies produce the best results for the greatest number of people?

One thing I don't understand is your statement that your dad can't afford the health insurance provided by his work?  Does the company not pay any of the premium?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 09:04:33 PM »

The question is, which policies produce the best results for the greatest number of people?

That's a sick way of thinking, and completely incompatible with human rights.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 09:06:29 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2005, 09:08:48 PM by nickshepDEM »

One thing I don't understand is your statement that your dad can't afford the health insurance provided by his work?  Does the company not pay any of the premium?

To be honest Im not sure of the exact circumstance.  My dad switched companies around a year or so ago.  I remember my parents getting into a huge arguement because the health insurance was "too expensive" at the new company.  We now have no health insurance. When I go to the doctors (emergencies only) my grandparents give me the money and I pay cash.

I may be making this out to be worse than what it really is.  But if we didn't have my grandparents... It would be bad.  They do pretty well so they help us out alot.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005, 09:07:35 PM »

One possible reason could be that you live in an area threatened by crime, and believe that Republican policies will more effectively control crime (look at NYC).
Guliani didn't have  a lot to do with the drop in crime.  The previous mayor was afraid of losing the election and hired a ton of police on the streets and that did it.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2005, 09:08:23 PM »

The question is, which policies produce the best results for the greatest number of people?

That's a sick way of thinking, and completely incompatible with human rights.

It's implicit that the parameters of acceptable policies are within the confines of providing the necessary human rights.  I thought this went without saying.  Why the hostility?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2005, 09:12:26 PM »

Guliani didn't have  a lot to do with the drop in crime.  The previous mayor was afraid of losing the election and hired a ton of police on the streets and that did it.

No.  Giuliani got the police to use more aggressive tactics against crime that the previous mayor was afraid to use because his political base didn't want those methods used.  Dinkins was a classic liberal who believed in restraining the police, ignoring more minor crimes, and allowing the criminal class to "vent" their anger against innocent citizens.  Yes, he hired some police, but he didn't allow them to do their job sufficiently.

Giuliani and his policies had a lot to do with the sharp drop in crime, and I respectfully suggest that you're mistaken if you believe otherwise.  I lived in New York at the time, so I saw the effects of Giuliani's policies first-hand.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2005, 09:16:45 PM »

Kerry was a prosecuter. Explain to me why someone should vote against the prosecuter because of crime?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2005, 09:18:59 PM »

To be honest Im not sure of the exact circumstance.  My dad switched companies around a year or so ago.  I remember my parents getting into a huge arguement because the health insurance was "too expensive" at the new company.  We now have no health insurance. When I go to the doctors (emergencies only) my grandparents give me the money and I pay cash.

I may be making this out to be worse than what it really is.  But if we didn't have my grandparents... It would be bad.  They do pretty well so they help us out alot.

Nick, I have to say that one major difference between Democrats and Republicans is that Republicans have more of a belief that they control their own destiny, and Democrats have more of a belief that other people control their destiny.

Your family's story is a good example of that, in a way.  Your dad made a choice to switch jobs to a company where I presume health insurance was more expensive than at his previous job, and now makes a choice to go without it because of the cost.

I realize there's probably more to the story than this, but I have often observed that what many people portray as being forced upon them are often on some level the results of their own choices.

This is a "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" type scenario.  Do Democrats believe that others control their destiny because it is largely true, or does their mindset produce a self-fulfilling prophesy?  Do Republicans simply have better luck and then then ascribe it to their own efforts, or does their more affirmative outlook on life simply lead to better results?  My guess is that the right answer in each of these cases is a little bit of both.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2005, 09:20:57 PM »

Suppose I am 40.  I am married with 3 kids.  I work for 45,0000-50,000 dollars a year (construction foreman).  My wife was diagnosed with Crohn's disease at the age of 35.  She is now unable to work.  We live paycheck to paycheck and are unable to afford the Health Insurance my work provides.  The public schools in my area are sufficient.  If my children keep up their grades they will be able to attend a public magnet high school, which happends to be one of the best schools in the state.  My oldest son (me) attends college, but relies on grants, loans, and what little money his grandparents can put up.

(This is my father by the way)

Good question.  I think Republican policies are generally geared to people who have the ability and desire to improve their economic circumstances through their own efforts.

Republicans are not strong for people who have disabilities and the like.

I am a partisan Republican, but I recognize that each party's policies and highlighted concerns have certain blind spots.  I find the blind spots in the Democrats' policies to be more harmful to my own interests, but I recognize why some others would see it differently.  The question is, which policies produce the best results for the greatest number of people?

I can see some of your answers to a point.  This is why I at least give Republicans a second look locally and not nationally.  Well, it's not only crime, but also I think the Philly Dems have a strong NAACP influence, which kinda turns me off to the party due to the fact that they give off the vibes that they should basically ignore whites (yep, I was an Indy until 2002).    For most other reasons I am a Democrat because I know a good portion of my college was paid with federal grants and loans, union labor put clothes on my back and paid for many educational things for me (albeit some of the same people discount the Dems over abortion), feel if you have more money, you should pay a proportionally higher tax rate due to the benefits you receive from public services, the freedom to worship or not, reproductive rights, and there are many more things.  
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2005, 09:21:46 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2005, 09:29:56 PM by nickshepDEM »

Im don't understand this statement at all.  My dad works 50+ hours a week.  How is that not trying to improve ones economic circumstance through his own efforts?

By the way, we're not on welfare or anything.  My mom doesn't receive SSD.  However, if we didnt have my grandparents we probably would be.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2005, 09:53:08 PM »

Im don't understand this statement at all.  My dad works 50+ hours a week.  How is that not trying to improve ones economic circumstance through his own efforts?

By the way, we're not on welfare or anything.  My mom doesn't receive SSD.  However, if we didnt have my grandparents we probably would be.

Nick, I was talking about the fact that your mom is disabled, and that people who are legitimately disabled are not really able to improve their own circumstances to the same extent as healthy people. 

I don't believe that people in these circumstances are at the forefront of Republican thinking, though most Republicans would acknowledge the need to help people who are truly in these circumstances (I know of several who fake it in order to get welfare).

I didn't mean to suggest that your dad wasn't trying to improve his circumstances, or do the right thing for his family.  I apologize if that was what I conveyed.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2005, 09:56:15 PM »

Kerry was a prosecuter. Explain to me why someone should vote against the prosecuter because of crime?

Democrats are softer on crime than Republicans.  Period.  End of story.

In New York state, NYC Democrats fought every effort to close loopholes in sentencing and take a tougher approach toward crime.  Luckily, they failed.

In Connecticut, after the first Republican governor in a generation pushed through tougher mandatory sentences for criminals in the mid-1990s, crimes like burglary fell substantially.

The NYC experience with crime shows this difference in sharp relief.  Of course, you'll never accept what I'm saying, so this will be the last reply I make to you on this.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2005, 09:57:43 PM »

Lower taxes is definitely one reason.  I do believe that any income tax is a form of stealing, but income tax on those earning below $100,000 a year is just tyrrany.  How many more dollars would be added to your household if no tax was to be paid?
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2005, 10:00:14 PM »

Lower taxes is definitely one reason.  I do believe that any income tax is a form of stealing, but income tax on those earning below $100,000 a year is just tyrrany.  How many more dollars would be added to your household if no tax was to be paid?
So would you advocate eliminating all income taxes on those who make below $100,000?
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2005, 10:03:04 PM »

So would you advocate eliminating all income taxes on those who make below $100,000?
I advocate eliminating all income taxes...  Levies and duties would provide enough revenue to a federal government with a smaller budget after eliminating all the departments except War, Commerce, and Treasury.  And also eliminating the CIA (put it under the War Department) and FBI (let the states do it).  And not to mention the ATF, and the numerous other federal crap.  The budget would basically be 95% military, 5% other.

Anyways, we're drifting off topic.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2005, 10:33:39 PM »

The budget would basically be 95% military, 5% other.

North Korea's military budget is 20% of the total budget. And we see how well it's gotten them. Let's make the military an even bigger portion!
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2005, 10:35:31 PM »

The budget would basically be 95% military, 5% other.

North Korea's military budget is 20% of the total budget. And we see how well it's gotten them. Let's make the military an even bigger portion!

I don't believe that North Korea only spends 20% of its total budget on the military.  That figure has to be a typical communist lie.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2005, 10:40:25 PM »

The CIA must be a source of communist lies then because that's where the figure came from, although now they put it at not available because they're not sure of the total country's budget. But I could definately believe it's much higher than 20% though. What probably isn't denied by anyone is that it spends a larger percentage than any other country in the world, and thus proves that spending such a massive portion of the budget on the military is not a good idea.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2005, 10:49:43 PM »

The CIA must be a source of communist lies then because that's where the figure came from, although now they put it at not available because they're not sure of the total country's budget. But I could definately believe it's much higher than 20% though. What probably isn't denied by anyone is that it spends a larger percentage than any other country in the world, and thus proves that spending such a massive portion of the budget on the military is not a good idea.

That figure came from the CIA?  Now I'm sure it's a communist lie...Cheesy

The CIA has a track record of seriously underestimating the amounts that our enemies spend on their militaries.

I agree with you that a budget that is 95% military spending is absurd.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2005, 10:59:58 PM »

well I would say that if you became libertarian and libertarians were in office, the income tax would be repealed and you would have all that money that the government takes for God knows what (probably in large pocketed) to go toward your son's education and your wife's disease.  Also if you do not have health insurance, a free market in the health care business would allow for more competition and lower prices for you're wives health care.  Same goes for the quality of education with your son.

But don't listen to me, you only want a Republican response...
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2005, 11:04:04 PM »

You shouldn't unless you're a decent person. Government isn't there to 'offer' stuff to you or 'improve' your community. It's about justice and order.

Ding Ding Ding.... Winner on the first response.  I"m impressed.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2005, 11:13:16 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2005, 11:16:50 PM by nickshepDEM »

I didn't mean to suggest that your dad wasn't trying to improve his circumstances, or do the right thing for his family.  I apologize if that was what I conveyed.

No apology needed.  Your a classy guy and I know you better than that... At least I think I do.  Smiley
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2005, 11:16:06 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2005, 11:41:22 PM by dazzleman »

No apology needed.  Your a classy guy and I know you better than that... At least I think I do.  Smiley

thanks man..and right back at you.

Your story really makes me think about how good health is one of the prerequisites to be able to prosper, and how much of a burden chronic health problems can be.

Did your mom work before she got sick?  If so, she should be able to get some type of disability from the insurance she had at her previous job.

I understand the situation in a way, because my mom suffered from chronic health problems for about 8 years.  Had she not been married to a man with a good income, or married at all, she would have also suffered economically because of her illness.

I went out and bought supplemental disability insurance about 8 years ago, and I bought additional disability coverage this past year, to cover me in case I am ever unable to work due to illness.  Good health is a great blessing that we should never take for granted.

I wish your mom the best and hope she can recover from her illness.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies