Chomsky video on Charlie Hedbo and "defense of free speech" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:17:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Chomsky video on Charlie Hedbo and "defense of free speech" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Chomsky video on Charlie Hedbo and "defense of free speech"  (Read 3684 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« on: January 12, 2015, 12:43:48 PM »

This is silly.  Chomsky is an idiot who hates Israel and hates America.  He'll say anything in service of that so who cares? 

For one thing, I think he's wrong factually.  Charlie Hebdo was not making cartoon that were the equivalent of Nazi anti-Semitic propaganda targeting Muslims.  Charlie Hebdo could certainly say blasphemous things about the Jewish religion.  Does he really think French law single out Jews for special treatment?

Anyway, you can't hold Jews responsible for French or European free speech laws.  Jews are less than 1% of the population of France and historically, they're a victimized minority.  And, it's such a false note.  As if Jews are getting off scot-free in this whole affair.  The Jewish community of France is the victim of hatred-motivated terrorism. 

But, I suppose there are certain hate-speech laws in France.  And, if there are hate speech laws, should they necessarily conflate blasphemy with the most extreme racial hatred like Nazi-style anti-Semitism?  I don't think so.  I think making fun of a religion is about ideas.  It can go too far, it can be stupid and ignorant, but it falls within the bounds of rational discussion.  Making fun of Muslims for their racial heritage is disgusting and vile, just in the same way anti-semitism is vile.

Personally, I think America has it right where free-speech is concerned.  If you allow every opinion, even the reprehensible racist ones, the public will exercise their judgement and properly condemn racism.  But, France is not some Jewish-run state that is giving Jews special treatment, that's ridiculous.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 01:59:12 PM »

This is silly.  Chomsky is an idiot who hates Israel and hates America.  He'll say anything in service of that so who cares? 

Chomsky is one of the most brilliant linguists alive, if I'm not wrong. The fact that you disagree with him on political grounds should not entitle you for such disrespect.

I'm not talking about linguistics or his intellect, so maybe idiot is the wrong word.  I mean idiot in his opinions.  Like someone might call Ted Cruz an idiot for his crazy right-wing ideas, even though Ted Cruz is also very intellectual and brilliant. 

But, certainly when it comes to his politics and his political writings, I don't respect Noam Chomsky.  I don't find his political opinions brilliant or insightful. I think when it comes to politics he's a hack who will ignore facts and spews propaganda with a very specific vision.  Maybe he sees himself as a counterpoint to the right-wing's propaganda, a sort of devil's advocate against America and free markets.  And, that's fine if that what he wants to do, but I think it's appropriate to disrespect and ignore his political opinions.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 04:57:28 PM »

Well, I'd say that hackery is not uncommon in whatever ideological corner, when the subject of discussion is Israel and the role of the USA in the world. If you don't like his opinions on those issues and find them not worthy of being taking into account, there's little to say. I'd say that it's 'respectable'. "Idiot", "Traitor" (another posted that), "Hates America", "Hates Israel" are derogatory enough to speak by themselves.

I did address his point as well.  I think what Chomsky said is factually wrong and his point is invalid which I explained.

I didn't just insult him.  And, if he wasn't the patron saint of the far-left, it would be unnecessary.  But, a certain segment of the population takes his word as a kind of gospel.  That's part of the needed context with Chomsky.  Really, we shouldn't treat any academic as if they're a general authority .  Some people worship university professors, as if they have special knowledge and reasoning ability.  We ought to treat these kind of comments like they were coming from anyone else and ask critical questions.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies