Trump writing new travel ban + more deportations (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 06:48:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump writing new travel ban + more deportations (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump writing new travel ban + more deportations  (Read 1065 times)
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« on: February 21, 2017, 09:45:22 PM »
« edited: February 21, 2017, 09:49:32 PM by Tintrlvr »

It seems like this order may not have some of the same issues as the previous one. I think the administration (and Trump) have recognized the mistakes that were made in regards to the drafting and implementation of the earlier order, and are striving to correct them. Personally, I think that these moves (refugee review, actions against illegal immigrants) are both moves in the right direction. We have to get our immigration system in order, we must maintain the integrity of our borders and our laws, and we must keep this country safe from external threats, either from terrorists or from criminal aliens.

Except we already were illegals are near the bottom in violent crime and if anyone tells me that our airports are lax I have pent up rage from ungodly waits at JFK to unleash on you

But illegal immigrants exacerbate the situation, putting an additional burden upon our law enforcement. In my opinion, since they did not go through the legal processes to get into this country, they should not be. Their being here discounts all of the legitimate efforts of legal immigrants to get here and to make something of themselves.

They're only on a burden on law enforcement if you have law enforcement waste a bunch of time, effort and money searching for productive members of society to deport instead of dealing with real criminals.

Anyway, there's pretty much no way to write the executive order such that it applies only to certain countries that would survive the tests set forth in the various iterations of Washington v. Trump. This may be a case of bad facts making bad law (the initial EO was so outrageous that courts made legal rulings that they might not have done had the initial EO been better), but that is neither here nor there. I can't see anything the administration releases that bears any resemblance to a halt on entries  from only certain countries or that has even the tiniest whiff of a religious test (which could be as simple as only relating to Muslim countries, or some new attempt to preference/exempt religious minorities) surviving.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 09:55:10 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2017, 10:00:16 PM by Tintrlvr »

It seems like this order may not have some of the same issues as the previous one. I think the administration (and Trump) have recognized the mistakes that were made in regards to the drafting and implementation of the earlier order, and are striving to correct them. Personally, I think that these moves (refugee review, actions against illegal immigrants) are both moves in the right direction. We have to get our immigration system in order, we must maintain the integrity of our borders and our laws, and we must keep this country safe from external threats, either from terrorists or from criminal aliens.

Except we already were illegals are near the bottom in violent crime and if anyone tells me that our airports are lax I have pent up rage from ungodly waits at JFK to unleash on you

But illegal immigrants exacerbate the situation, putting an additional burden upon our law enforcement. In my opinion, since they did not go through the legal processes to get into this country, they should not be. Their being here discounts all of the legitimate efforts of legal immigrants to get here and to make something of themselves.

They're only on a burden on law enforcement if you have law enforcement waste a bunch of time, effort and money searching for productive members of society to deport instead of dealing with real criminals.

Productive members of society? Illegal immigrants are criminals; they violated the law in the first place by being here illegally. Second, many of them have committed other criminal offenses (i.e. identity theft, murder, sex trafficking, drug trafficking, etc.) and need to be removed for it. No one who has broken the law to get here should be allowed to stay.

1. "Criminals" can be productive members of society in any case, and illegally crossing the border is a victimless crime (does not harm society), no worse than smoking marijuana. Should a major focus of law enforcement be rounding up and incarcerating (or perhaps deporting!) marijuana smokers?

2. Most "illegal immigrants" overstay their legally obtained visas rather than illegally crossing the border. It is literally not a crime to overstay a visa.

3. "Many" is nothing short of a total and complete lie, but in any case I am not contesting that those who have committed murder, etc. should be deported. Those crimes are investigated just as if the perpetrator were legally present in the U.S., with the ultimate penalty being deportation after incarceration. They are a tiny minority.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies