A question about the opponents of gay marriage (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 10:58:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  A question about the opponents of gay marriage (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A question about the opponents of gay marriage  (Read 12598 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: March 02, 2015, 11:54:36 AM »

Opponent of SSM:  "Allowing the gay couple next door to get married violates my religious freedom."

Observant Jew:  "Allowing my neighbor to eat shrimp with cheese violates my religious freedom."

Observant Catholic:  "Don't allow my neighbor to eat steak on Friday.  It's against my religion."

All three arguments are equally idiotic.

Even the most radical ultra-Orthodox Jew wouldn't be interested in forcing a Gentile neighbor to follow Jewish dietary law. The whole premise of those laws is that they're part of a covenant God made with the Israelites, and your radical Haredim are happy thinking that the goyim are outside of that covenant.

They'd happily try to force a secular Jew to get back on the kosher bandwagon, though!

People keep analgizing Christianity's and Islam's universalism to religions that are strictly opposed to it. This idea that Orthodox Jews' reaction to Gentiles trying to keep Kosher would be anything other than territorial hostility ("My covenant! Go get your own!") Is mind-boggling.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies