Urban Regeneration Bill (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 02:42:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Urban Regeneration Bill (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Urban Regeneration Bill  (Read 5723 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« on: January 26, 2005, 02:19:05 PM »

I'm currently on the fence regarding this one... while I agree that this certainly could be helpful to cities that need something like this, I also agree with SamSpade that I don't really like the idea of leaving the choice to the subjective decision of an independent government body regarding which cities get aid.  If Section 2 had more rigid guidelines that reduced or even eliminated the need for a bureaucratic organization to administer it, I would be much more in favor of it.

As for Section 3, maybe it's just my lack of nostalgia-holding, but I don't immediately see a clear benefit to this section.  Shouldn't we be encouraging the growth of industries that would work well in the cities, rather than arbitrarily deeming that industries with historical importance should be given priority?  Granted, those industries may very well be the same, but if they're not, I don't think it will help a city with high unemployment and poverty to require that city to accomodate an industry that doesn't work in it anymore.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 04:04:14 PM »

I'm currently on the fence regarding this one... while I agree that this certainly could be helpful to cities that need something like this, I also agree with SamSpade that I don't really like the idea of leaving the choice to the subjective decision of an independent government body regarding which cities get aid.  If Section 2 had more rigid guidelines that reduced or even eliminated the need for a bureaucratic organization to administer it, I would be much more in favor of it.

No, no, no... ALL cities fitting the requriments in S.1 get aid/incentives. The point of an independent body is to determine the level of aid/incentives given. It's either that, or a centralised quota based system that wouldn't be as effective.

Oh, whoops.  I misundestood what the organization was for.

I still am not convinced that an independent organization would be more effective, though.  As others have noted, wouldn't this leave it open to subjectiveness, which would inevitably lead to the possibility of corruption?  If you can show how the independent organization method of doing it is better than a more rigid, objective method, my mind is certainly changeable here, but at the moment I'm not sure.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Note the fact that S.3 is more of a guideline than anything else. Also note the use of "wherever possible".
The point of S.3 is to bring back a little bit of confidence and pride to the distressed cities, which will have the effect of helping other businesses (especially smaller shops) to thrive.

Okay, so Section 3 is just a guideline, but I still don't see its purpose.  Why should industries with historical importance be given priority?  Citizens care more about whether or not they have a job, period, not whether or not their job is in an industry with historical importance.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 06:16:30 PM »

bump... can we get a vote on this now?

Unfortunately, this bill is pretty far down the list of bills in the queue.  This hasn't even been given debate time yet, although I'd imagine that you could find enough senators to halt debate, given that tons has been said about it already.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 03:29:15 AM »

I hereby open debate on this bill.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 01:22:18 AM »

Bump.  If nothing gets debated here by tomorrow, I'm calling this to a vote.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies