Election 2006 :: Fantasy Election :: Primaries
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:14:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Election 2006 :: Fantasy Election :: Primaries
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Election 2006 :: Fantasy Election :: Primaries  (Read 1511 times)
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 14, 2005, 02:15:31 PM »

Hello!

Thank you for reading this.

Elections interest all of us here.  We all want to decide who our president will be.

I'm making this fantasy election for you to decide who the winner will be.  It is interactive.

In this thread, I will post news of candidates entering the race, dropping out, when caucuses are, what polls say, etc.

If you are intersested, I encourage you to express your opinions regarding the race.

Thank you again. Smiley

First daily news coming tonight.
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 05:39:00 PM »

MSNBC Breaking News

We have some breaking new to give you.  In his hometown of Providence, Rhode Island, Senate Majority Leader Bill Wueller, probably the most prominent Democrat in the country, declared his candidacy for President of the United States.

Senator Wueller is the first major candidate to declare his candidacy.  His remarks were made at Providence City Hall.

The following is an excerpt from his speech.

"My friends who I have grown up with all my life, my family who has made my life great, and everyone who is attending today, I thank you for being here as I begin the next of my journeys in life.

Throughout the past eight years, we have been lied to and cheated.  Our elections were rigged and our votes thrown away.  The highest office in the land has been made into a symbol of lies and a target of hate.

We need a President who will bring honor and integrity back to the White House.  We need a President who will spend our nation's money on things which ordinary people need, not just what billionaires want.

Therefore, a few miles from the house I grew up in, in the presence of my lifelong friends and my family, and in front of the whole nation, I hereby declare my candidacy for President of the Untied States of America. (Applause)"

Senator Wueller is expected to be a frontrunner in the race for the Democratic nomination this election.

Other potential candidates include last years Presidential nominee Evan Glenn, as well as his former running mate, Tom Irskine.  Also, possible second tier candidates include Nevada Governor Rick Fontaine and Illinois Congressman John Gastley.

No major Republican candidate has yet officially declared candidacy.
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 09:12:24 PM »

FOX NEWS ALERT

This is a Fox News Alert.  The second candidate has entered the race for the White House.  This time, it's a Republican.

Michigan Governor Sean Housely declared his candidacy today in his hometown of Lansing, Michigan.

"I'm a candidate that isn't connected to the mess we have in Washington.  I wasn't involved in any scandal.  And I have never and will never lie to the American people!"

Governor Housely's outsider image could sink in with voters and benefit him due to the numerous scandals of the Olinick Administration.

He is also known for his charisma and his folksy manner. 

The only other candidate to have declared was Democratic Senate Leader Bill Wueller.  A Fox News Poll shows that Wueller and Housely would have a tough fight if the two eventually became the nominees of their respective parties.  The polls results showed Housely with 39% and Wueller with 38%. 

Yet, it must be said that this poll is extremely early.  It is not yet known whether Mr. Housely or Mr. Wueller will be the nominee of their party.

However, the recent declaration of candidacy by Governor Housely proves that the race for the White House is beginning to take shape.
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 05:06:24 PM »

CNN BREAKING NEWS
Vice President Steale Impeached

This just in.  Vice President Michael Steale was just impeached by the Senate. 

The motion for impeachment was initiated by Colorado Senator Tom Irkine last month, and rapidly gained bipartisan support.  A more surprising supporter of the impeachment is Senate Minority Leader Rob Cassiter (R-VA).

"A criminal is a criminal.  It doesn't matter if they are a thug on the streets or a thug in the Vice President's Office," says Cassiter.

Neither the Vice President nor his staff is releasing anything to the press.

Once considered a potential frontrunner for the Republican nomination for President in 2006, the Vice President's political career is virtually finished.

The charges brought against the Vice President included rigging the presidential election results in Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Oregon and New Hampshire.

It is unknown whether President Olinick will officially pardon the Vice President, or whether he has considered any potential successors.

We will bring you more as it comes in.
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 05:47:59 PM »

Meet The Press

Tim Russert: Our guest today is the Republican Leader in the Senate, Rob Cassiter of Virginia.  Senator Cassiter, welcome.

Rob Cassiter: Thank you, Tim.

R: Senator, what do you think of the recent impeachment of Vice President Michael Steale.

C: I absolutely support it.  When someone breaks the law, they must be punished.  Just because Mr. Steale was in a high position, he thought that he could break some rules and get away with it.  That's just not so.  As I've said before, a criminal is a criminal, whether on the streets or in the White House.

R: The impeachment of Mr. Steale was one of the few issues that you were in agreement of with your arch nemesis, Senate Majority Leader Bill Wueller of Vermont.  Why did you agree to promote an issue which was pretty much a Democratic issue.

C: Well, crime affects us all.  It affects Democrats and Republicans.  About Bill Wueller, him and I have known each other for over thirty years, since we've been in the Senate.  We both came into the Senate the same year, both rose into prominence within our parties, and we've remained good personal friends.

(Russert asks Cassiter several questions regarding policy.)

R: Senator, many have considered you as a likely candidate for President.  You ran for President once before, I believe in 1990.  Now, answer this question once and for all, on live television, in front of millions of people.  Are you going to run for President in the election of 2006?

C: Tim, the main reason why I agreed to do this interview today was because I wanted to answer that question for the American people.  I will seek the Republican nomination for President of the United States in the year of two-thousand-and-six of our Lord.

R: Are you going to win?

C: Gee, I hope so.  I think so.

R: Senator Cassiter, thank you very much for coming on today and sharing this with us. 

C: My pleasure, Tim.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 08:07:02 PM »

Glenn Glenn Glenn Glenn Wink
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2005, 08:10:58 PM »

He's considered a potential candidate, actually Wink

And with the rigging Steale was convicted of, it is likely that Glenn was the true winner of the Election of 2002.

So, you were right, Glenn was robbed Smiley
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2005, 08:19:15 PM »

Inside Politics With Judy Woodruff

Good evening everyone.  Today, the fourth candidate and second Democrat has entered the race for the White House.  This one is a familiar face.

Maryland Senator Evan Glenn, last election's Democratic presidential nominee, declared his candidacy in Baltimore noon today.

"Last election, my campaign gave hope to so many that this administration took away by stealing the authenticity of our democracy! 

As President, I will not lie.  I will not cheat.  I will not tell half-truths or mistruths.  I will be the President who is known for restoring honesty to the most powerful office in the land!"

Thousands of cheering supporters held "Re-Elect Glenn" signs in the crowd.  These are, of course, in reference to the recent discovery that voting was rigged in several states last election.  If this rigging was extensive enough as to hand these states over to Glenn, he would be running for reelection today.

The other Democratic candidate who has officially declared is Senate Majority Leader Bill Wueller.  Our CNN Online Poll shows a narrow Glenn lead of 32% to 30%, but yet again, it is extremely early, months before the Iowa Caucus. 

However, to Glenn supporters everywhere, this poll should at least provide a slight glimmer of hope.  And so, today, the campaign begins of a man who many believe was denied an election he truly won.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2005, 09:11:11 PM »

Re-elect Glenn!  Smiley
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2005, 09:12:35 PM »

I guess you're pretty happy Glenn is running Nick Wink
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2005, 09:14:46 PM »

Im waiting to see where he stands on the issues, but as of right now he's my candidate.
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2005, 09:18:22 PM »

I'm going to make a new thread full of candidate profiles, which will include their positions on key issues.  This will happen once all the candidates have declared.

If you want to chat, IM me at Benjam1001

Tomorrow, more news stories on the way!
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.03

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2005, 12:24:51 AM »

Hey Ben, I'd suggest merging all of your threads on the election into one superthread, that way the board gets less cluttered.
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2005, 02:39:20 PM »

Ok, good idea Smiley

Thanks
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2005, 02:58:31 PM »

MSNBC.com
Irskine Throws Hat In The Ring

Senator Tom Irskine, a Democrat of Colorado, entered the presidential race today in his hometown of Boulder.  Senator Irskine, known mainly for his role as Vice Presidential nominee last election, as well as the leader of the impeachment of Vice President Steale, was a surprise candidate. 

While he has been previously mentioned as a potential candidate, it was general consensus that he would not run and instead endorse his former running mate, Evan Glenn, after he (Glenn) entered the race.  Irskine didn't mention Glenn, or even his previous nomination for Vice President.

"This campaign is not about the past.  This campaign is about the future.  We need to restore honesty to the White House and restore honor to the government.  We need to concentrate on the moral values of ending poverty and helping people live better lives before we concentrate on the moral values of preventing a gay couple from visting each other in the hospital!"

The moderate and charismatic Irskine is likely to surge in the polls upon his announcement to be within the Wueller vs. Glenn race.

Neither the Wueller nor Glenn campaigns could be reached for comment.
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2005, 08:04:50 PM »

FOX NEWS ALERT

This is a Fox News Alert.  Fox is now receiving word that President Olinick has conspicuously granted an official presidential pardon to the recently impeached Vice President Steale.

Sources in the White House say that the President signed the pardon the day the Vice President was impeached, but it was not released to the press until earlier today.

This comes as a major surprise.  After numerous reports of quarelling between the President and Vice President, it seemed unlikely to many that President Olinick would take the initiative to pardon Vice President Steale.

Upon the news of the pardon, a Fox News Poll showed President Olinick's approval rating falling six points to a 45% approval rating.

It is unlikely that this pardon will have any effect on the political career of Vice President Steale.

Neither the President nor the Vice President, nor their staff, could be reached for comment.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2005, 09:02:43 PM »

FOX NEWS ALERT

This is a Fox News Alert.  Fox is now receiving word that President Olinick has conspicuously granted an official presidential pardon to the recently impeached Vice President Steale.

Sources in the White House say that the President signed the pardon the day the Vice President was impeached, but it was not released to the press until earlier today.

This comes as a major surprise.  After numerous reports of quarelling between the President and Vice President, it seemed unlikely to many that President Olinick would take the initiative to pardon Vice President Steale.

Upon the news of the pardon, a Fox News Poll showed President Olinick's approval rating falling six points to a 45% approval rating.

It is unlikely that this pardon will have any effect on the political career of Vice President Steale.

Neither the President nor the Vice President, nor their staff, could be reached for comment.

Sorry to nitpick, but I don't think that's Constitutional.

Article II, Section 2:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2005, 09:18:59 PM »

Shh. . .don't give it away

I'll give away what I was going to do. . .It was going to become a major scandal, trying to break the constitution

Just wait and see Wink
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2005, 09:25:07 PM »

CNN Headline News

Today, Nevada Governor Rick Fontaine entered the race for the Democratic nomination for President.

Considered a longshot, the somewhat libertarian Fontaine will most likely have a hard time making his way up to the top of the polls.  Coming from a small state and having a different ideology to most Democrats, Fontaine seems to have little chance of receiving the nomination.

"Some people say I am a longshot, an underdog.  So was John Kennedy.  So was Bill Clinton.  So was Howard Dean.  You know what, I'd rather go from the bottom up than the other way around.  We are going to win this thing no matter what any pundit says!"

The Democratic field is rapidly becoming crowded.  So far, there are three major candidates besides Governor Fontaine, all of them Senators.

Illinois Congressman John Gastley, thought to be planning a run this year, announced two days ago that he would not be running.

So, the race is on.
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2005, 03:59:20 PM »

CNN BREAKING NEWS
Olinick Impeached, Steale Taken To Holding Cell

Senator Tom Irskine, reading through the Constitution, noticed that a President is not permitted to pardon one who has been impeached, as President Olinick did to Vice President Steale.

Irskine brought the matter to the Senate Floor, where other Senators were made aware of what happened.  Law enforcement was alerted, and police seized Steale from his apartment in Washington, D.C., and placed him in a holding cell at a police station.

Irskine demanded that Olinick be impeached for a deliberate infringement on the rules.  The motion for an impeachment hearing was passed 88-6. 

"I saw [the Constitution] and I realized, Olinick broke the rules," says Senator Irskine, a candidate for President himself.  "I, unlike my opponents, was present in Washington to bring this important matter up to the Senate."

Senators Wueller and Glenn, other candidates, said that they were planning on traveling to Washington for President Olinick's impeachment hearing. 

Upon this news, instant polling shows a severe drop in Olinick's approval rating, down to only 19%.  Also, polls for the Democratic primaries show a big boost for Irskine, the one who initiated this, and he took the lead.  The poll shows 37% for Irskine and Wueller and Glenn tied with 34%.  Nevada Governor Rick Fontaine trails with 11%.

This is one of the largest stories yet this millenium, and CNN will continue to bring you news as it comes in.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2005, 02:22:24 AM »

FOX NEWS ALERT

Good timeline, but would a President who it was just revealed won a rigged election have a 45% approval even if he didn't do the rigging?
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2005, 04:42:08 PM »

That was before the scandal hit big Wink

In the last post, it fell to 19%.

More news stories coming tonight Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »