Interesting image I found (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:10:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Interesting image I found (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Interesting image I found  (Read 3426 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: December 09, 2005, 09:50:23 PM »

From a Pew Research poll:

The numbers are those who answered they had a favorable opinion of that group. Quite interesting. Most interesting is Lebanon. It appears the two communities there actually get along after all.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 01:07:41 PM »

That must be ancient or incorrect data, if you look at the Russian results for example.

The poll was taken in July. I don't see anything wacky about Russia though.

Another odd thing that seems odd is that Jordan likes Christians far more than Turkey. I guess in Turkey they probably think "Greeks" when they think of "Christians". Too bad Greece wasn't included, I'd like to see what they think of Muslims.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 09:25:44 PM »

Russia - 55% approval of Muslims after Chechnya?

Well that's not any wackier than the Lebanon numbers and the US ones are higher after 9/11. Hey, look at those German numbers! Hmmm dazzleman, what was that crap again about how leftists love Islam and political correctness means loving Islam?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 12:38:15 PM »

Russia - 55% approval of Muslims after Chechnya?

Well that's not any wackier than the Lebanon numbers and the US ones are higher after 9/11. Hey, look at those German numbers! Hmmm dazzleman, what was that crap again about how leftists love Islam and political correctness means loving Islam?
Yeah, I've wondered about that figure too ... and of course wondered when it would be brought up.
Probably reflects a relative lack of political correctness, or something about the wording of the German-language version of the question.
Actually though, the other two German figures don't quite square with what I'd have expected either ... hm.

What numbers would you expect. I'll admit, the Jews figure seems a little disturbingly low.

Here's another interesting thing from the same poll:

All Western countries + India say Islam and all Muslim countries except Turkey say Judaism. That's not suprising. The interesting thing is a plurality in Turkey saying Christianity. Think they're thinking of Greece there? Also makes me wish Greece was included. Something else that seems odd though is that the US has the highest number of any of the western countries saying Christianity and that it, Britain and Canada have numbers for it higher than India. Hmmm...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 01:48:01 PM »

To all the people who were commenting on the statistics in various countries looking odd: What do you thnk of Lebanon? Do they actually get along that well now?

About 10% of Indians are Muslim so there's more to it than that.

India is 20% Muslim actually.

In fact, India's President is a Muslim and thier top actors are Muslims too.

I think what increases Pakistan's tolerance score for Christianity is that thier best cricketer was a Christian.

And that the Hindu extremists who hate them so much hate Christians too.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 01:42:03 AM »

About 10% of Indians are Muslim so there's more to it than that.

India is 20% Muslim actually.

In fact, India's President is a Muslim and thier top actors are Muslims too.

I think what increases Pakistan's tolerance score for Christianity is that thier best cricketer was a Christian.

The first part may be true, but what I couldn't understand is why India's opinion of Jews is so low. Are Hindus anti-semitic? That doesn't seem likely.
My question wasn't really about the Muslims, I just wanted to discount them as a reason for the poll numbers.

I think its cool that India has a Sikh Prime Minister and a Muslim President. It shows that religious tolerance isn't just a Developed World phenomenon, and that we could take a few pointers from India.

Not only that, but in the last election India actually voted for a Christian Prime Minister, Sonia Gandhi, even though she only had her leadship position for being the widow of Rajiv Gandhi (and no, neither one of them are related to Mohandas Gandhi). She did not accept the post though on account of the fact that she was from Italy initially and thus would not be accepted by many, and then nominated Singh. Had she been an Indian-born Christian there probably wouldn't be so much controversy.

Of course, that election resulted in the ouster of an extremely nasty Hindu extremist party known for stirring up riots against non-Hindus, not exactly a bulwark of religious tolerance, although them going down is sure a good thing.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies