Anyone else excited for 'Mad Dog' Mattis being Secretary of Defense? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 01:38:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Anyone else excited for 'Mad Dog' Mattis being Secretary of Defense? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anyone else excited for 'Mad Dog' Mattis being Secretary of Defense?  (Read 1288 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« on: December 02, 2016, 08:53:43 AM »

Excited? Neh.  A good choice - yes.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 09:26:22 AM »

--except that he is not qualified. 

Federal law stipulates that in order to serve as Secretary of Defense, a person has to be a civilian, and "may not be appointed as Secretary of Defense within seven years after relief from active duty." Since Mattis only retired three years ago, he wouldn’t be qualified under the statute.

I think they can get around that.  Waivers have been issued in the past in cases exactly like this.

The waiver requirement means that Mattis is an appointment that Democrats could actually filibuster, but I doubt they would do that.

Right.  He could have nominated a much more deplorable deplorable.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 11:02:44 AM »

The only time the rule has been waived for Secretary of Defense was for Marshall during the Korean War. The reason for the rule is a good one and we aren't in anything comparable to Korea. The rule should not be waived for anyone. It's already been weakened from 10 years to 7. Even if it were weakened further to 5 years, Mad Dog still wouldn't be eligible.

Trump knows this, so do you think McConnell and other pubs assured him this would sail through?  If not it's a stupid nomination, although I'm in favor of Mattis himself.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 01:22:12 PM »

The only time the rule has been waived for Secretary of Defense was for Marshall during the Korean War. The reason for the rule is a good one and we aren't in anything comparable to Korea. The rule should not be waived for anyone. It's already been weakened from 10 years to 7. Even if it were weakened further to 5 years, Mad Dog still wouldn't be eligible.

Trump knows this, so do you think McConnell and other pubs assured him this would sail through?  If not it's a stupid nomination, although I'm in favor of Mattis himself.

It could be an early test of whether the remaining Nevertrumpers and the Democrats will fight this. A lot of people are going to think it's an arbitrary rule, which to some extent it is, albeit a good arbitrary rule. If he can get Mattis confirmed, then he can go on to get rid of other arbitrary rules such as our ethics laws, the 22nd Amendment, there being only nine justices on the Supreme Court, etc.

Fair enough.  I think the Dems will cave on this.  Just a feeling.  Also I haven't seen any of them screaming blue bloody murder yet, unless I missed it.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 09:40:47 AM »

He's actually Trump's best choice so far.

I don't understand why Gillibrand already wants to block him.

She's doing Schumer's bidding perhaps?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies