Primus Inter Pares - 1995 Conservative Leadership Election (2nd Ballot)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 10:17:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Primus Inter Pares - 1995 Conservative Leadership Election (2nd Ballot)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who should be the Leader of the Conservative Party?
Michael Portillo
Michael Heseltine
John Redwood
Gillian Shephard
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Primus Inter Pares - 1995 Conservative Leadership Election (2nd Ballot)  (Read 1443 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 20, 2017, 09:35:02 PM »

July 1995 - John Major leaves for Buckingham Palace to tender his resignation

Finding himself increasingly under siege on his own party due to the ongoing debates over Europe and attacks on his own leadership, John Major decided to preempt a leadership challenge by those who he described as the "bastards" (the Eurosceptics on his cabinet), resigning as Conservative Leader only to stand in a leadership election in June-July 1995. Several would-be challengers declined to stand against Major (particularly Employment Secretary Michael Portillo, seen as the most dangerous one), leaving the task to the Welsh Secretary, John Redwood.

Running on a firmly Thatcherite, Eurosceptic and social conservative platform Redwood was derided in the media and by Major supporters as too right-wing to lead the party. And yet, Redwood was able to garner the support of several MP's desperate to get rid of Major before facing electoral oblivion in 1997, which combined to a few abstentions pushed Major down to 211 votes to Redwood's 94 and 10 abstentions. Having set a personal target of 215 votes as a minimum target, Major had finally had enough, announcing his immediate resignation as Leader of the Conservative Party a few hours after the result. He'd been Prime Minister for almost five years.

With many in the party sighing with relief at Major's departure (seeing him as an electoral liability), nominations were open as new candidates geared for a second ballot the week after Major's resignation. Facing Redwood, who refused to drop his leadership bid, will be heavyweights Michael Portillo and Michael Heseltine, and darkhorse Gillian Shephard.

The Candidates:

John Redwood: John Major's assassin and now the former Welsh Secretary, Redwood is seen as one of the intellectual giants of the Eurosceptic win, if tarnished by a series of gaffes (such as trying to mime the Welsh anthem as minister) and by his association to the most right-wing MP's in the party. Mocked as "the vulcan" for his looks, Redwood marches on his staunch Social Conservative, Law and Order and Eurosceptic campaign, defending the idea that a sharp turn to the right is the way to win in the next General Election.

Michael Portillo: The young darling of the Thatcherites and the Employment Secretary, Portillo stands as the standard bearer of the more traditional Thatcherites, advocating for a course of "clear blue water" (insisting that the Conservatives must adopt policies as far away as possible as Labour) and standing up for a modernizing Eurosceptic economically liberal and social conservative platform. Much liked by the party base, Portillo is also notoriously disliked across the country, being seen (among other things) as being enormously arrogant. He also benefits from a strong endorsement by Margaret Thatcher.

Michael Heseltine: The original assassin of Margaret Thatcher and now President of the Board of Trade (and a more elder statesman), Heseltine is a character by himself (nicknamed "Tarzan" due to his blonde mane and his attitude), running again for leader as the sole Europhile candidate (the also Europhile Chancellor Ken Clarke backing him) on a pro-Europe, One Nation, more economically conservative platform. Seen as the most likely to improve the poor polling performance of the Conservatives, Heseltine is also disliked by the Thatcherites, and has already suffered a heart attack two years ago.

Gillian Shephard: The final candidate and the one seen as a darkhorse, Shephard is the Education Secretary and a John Major loyalist, having supporter him since 1990. A tough, no-nonsense candidate of more moderate instincts, Shephard hopes to run a middle course between Eurosceptics and Europhiles as a unity candidate to prevent the party from facing further divisions with less than two years left until the next election.

You have two days to vote, the two candidates with the most votes go to a final round if no one garners a majority on this ballot.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 09:37:50 PM »

Heseltine, I guess.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 09:38:53 PM »

Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 09:44:41 PM »

Redwood.

Excited to see where this series goes.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 09:48:43 PM »

Where do Shephard and Heseltine stand on healthcare and social issues?(Who supports privation of NHS when it lowers cost, and who is more to the left than the other on social issues?)

Also, is Shephard the same as Heseltine economically, or more to his left or right?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 10:18:40 PM »

Where do Shephard and Heseltine stand on healthcare and social issues?(Who supports privation of NHS when it lowers cost, and who is more to the left than the other on social issues?)

Also, is Shephard the same as Heseltine economically, or more to his left or right?

Heseltine is more supportive than Shephard of some privatization schemes, Heseltine having the intention to run an efficiency unit to reduce bureaucracy in the NHS. On the other hand, Heseltine is more to the left on social issues than Shephard, but not by a great margin.

Shephard is more to the right than Heseltine in economic terms (without going full Thatcherite), Heseltine tends to have strong interventionist tendencies (particularly on how to make industry more competitive).
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 11:18:11 PM »

I'd be pro Heseltine, I think.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 11:40:15 PM »

We better have a labour leadership, and not get fycking Tony Blair.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 11:53:42 PM »

Sorry, I'm afraid Blair's well entrenched as leader at this point (having been elected a year ago). Still, who knows what might happen in 1997? (or beyond)
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 06:04:48 AM »

Sorry, I'm afraid Blair's well entrenched as leader at this point (having been elected a year ago). Still, who knows what might happen in 1997? (or beyond)

You seriously couldn't start with the labour leadership election Sad Better have a left-wing opposition to labour.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 11:00:38 AM »

You seriously couldn't start with the labour leadership election Sad Better have a left-wing opposition to labour.

You know what, that could actually be interesting. The Labour Leadership election will be up too, as the challenge to Major would have materialized anyway regardless of the candidate.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 06:16:41 PM »

Portillo, because he'd eventually reach the ideological position he is now. And it would be funny to have another non-straight PM
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 06:21:39 PM »

Portillo, because he'd eventually reach the ideological position he is now. And it would be funny to have another non-straight PM
Another?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 06:23:22 PM »

Lol, at this time people used to spread Gordon Brown was gay.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 06:39:09 PM »

I feel it's obligatory to have at least one gay rumour per leadership election- Chukka's name always seems to come up now, because he went to a nightclub once Tongue
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 06:49:35 PM »

I feel it's obligatory to have at least one gay rumour per leadership election- Chukka's name always seems to come up now, because he went to a nightclub once Tongue

LOL. I think the one I find most hilarious is the Peter Lilley/Michael Portillo rumored affair.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 07:00:12 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2017, 07:27:03 PM by DavidB. »

[1] Redwood
[2] Portillo
[3] Shephard
[4] Heseltine

Sincere vote for Redwood, but would cast a tactical vote for Portillo if necessary.

And great series, Lumine!
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2017, 07:02:02 PM »

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2017, 07:24:20 PM »

Like they're doing to Macron?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 08:14:05 PM »

Redwood, though Heseltine seems an interesting choice as well. I know little of these men outside this, though, so I couldn't say for sure.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 10:48:23 PM »

Another?
Edward Heath was speculated to be gay...
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2017, 11:23:24 PM »

Heseltine is possibly the worst of those on an individual level. I voted for Portillo for similar reasons as to Blair (the poster).

The name Gillian Shepherd must take people above a certain age instantly back to the 90s, as she's completely disappeared this century.

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2017, 11:26:44 PM »

Heseltine is possibly the worst of those on an individual level. I voted for Portillo for similar reasons as to Blair (the poster).

The name Gillian Shepherd must take people above a certain age instantly back to the 90s, as she's completely disappeared this century.

It was actually rather hard to find info on Shephard right away (as she's often mentioned in a passing way). I had go through old newspaper articles in the internet to get a better grasp on her.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2017, 08:21:16 AM »

I'm not a fan of any of these candidates, but if I had to choose, I'd support John Redwood.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2017, 10:09:25 PM »

The second ballot ends with no candidate winning the 50% of MP's needed. John Redwood and Michael Heseltine advance to the third and final round.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies