Mideast Citizens for Progress and Reform (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:56:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Citizens for Progress and Reform (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mideast Citizens for Progress and Reform  (Read 6983 times)
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« on: June 26, 2012, 03:12:15 AM »

That's interesting. I'm looking forward to learn what the ideology referred to as "Mideasternism" entails and to look into your reform proposals.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 02:21:16 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2012, 02:22:51 PM by Mideast Governor ZuWo »

I don't support this amendment

You must be logged in to read this quote.

because I believe the current system of flexibility which was tested at the last Assembly election is better. In June there were not many candidates running for a seat so we only elected 3 Assemblymembers. As a result, we had a competitive and exciting election.
Now it looks like we will have 6 candidates running for Assembly in July, which means that the new Assembly is very likely to consist of 5 members. I like the flexibility the current state of affairs guarantees because it promotes competitive elections.

However, I am in support of the Lt. Governor amendment. You may want to have a closer look at Section 4, though:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If, according to clause 1, the Lt. Governor is responsible for updating the wiki but fails to do so, then why should he be rewarded by becoming acting Governor as stated in clause 2? Did you maybe intend to write "Governor" instead of "Lt. Governor" in clause 1?
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 02:39:02 PM »

The problem that we have too few active Assemblymembers will be solved more or less automatically in July: We have three sitting Assemblymembers who I think are likely to run for re-election. Then we have Oldiesfreak and JCL who are officially declared candidates. Add A-Bob, who may run as well once he returns from his trip, and Cathcon, who has given a hint that he may return to elective office in the near future. Then we have 20RP12, who has formed an exploratory committee, which means that we may have up to 8 people running for a seat in the Assembly come July. This way, the next Assembly will consist of 5 members anyway.
Therefore, I don't think we need to amend the constitution again. The current wording of the section in question also has the advantage of creating competitive and interesting elections should there be too few candidates next time; we don't need an Assembly that theoretically has five seats but only has four members because we didn't even have enough candidates for the five seats.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 02:56:39 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2012, 03:24:55 PM by Mideast Governor ZuWo »

The question regarding your idea of making the candidate with the most votes Lt. Governor is: Would that really motivate more people to run for Assembly and prevent us from getting into a situation where we don't have enough candidates for the five seats? I agree with the idea of electing the Lt. Governor in this way but I doubt it would lead to more citizens running for Assembly; a person who doesn't want to run for Assembly is probably not going to change his mind simply because he could become Lt. Governor if he finishes first in the vote count.

I have no problem with the imagination of an Assembly which changes size every session. This is actually not an uncommon principle in elections around the world. In Germany, for example, the number of seats in the "Bundestag" varies in every election depending on the number of "Überhangmandate".
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 04:15:04 PM »

Reform and progress in the Mideast are a key priority of my governorship. Thus, I will join this movement as an "other member".
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 12:31:24 PM »

An idea...

Why don't the MCPR sponsor a debate for the Assembly? I don't think an Assembly debate has been done, but considering our high number of candidates, it may be a good idea.

That would be nice and since we have so many candidates it also makes sense.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 03:59:12 PM »

If I may vote as an "other member" it's

Aye
Aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies