2017 French Presidential Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:44:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2017 French Presidential Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 39
Author Topic: 2017 French Presidential Election  (Read 105086 times)
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: April 09, 2017, 02:50:21 PM »

No she's not. She said she believed the French were not responsible for rounding up Jewish citizens for the Germans. That's not denial of the Holocaust. That's denial that France did anything to contribute to it.

As the article says, she was wrong, but what she said was nothing close to Holocaust denial.

It's denial of a particular event that contributed to the Holocaust. We can discuss semantics as much as you want but this is still vile.

Yes, as I said, she's wrong on this.  I'm just saying it's not blatant Holocaust denial like what was being implied.

Even then, she's blaming the Nazi-backed government at the time for it. She said that that's not who the French people in general are, only the people in power at the time.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #526 on: April 09, 2017, 02:55:35 PM »

Ever heard of the concept of German Victimhood?

This is the french equivalent.
DL
Canada

« Reply #527 on: April 09, 2017, 03:00:11 PM »

I thought the core of LePen's support came from people why sympathized with the Vichy pro-Nazi government of Petain?
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #528 on: April 09, 2017, 03:00:28 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2017, 03:06:07 PM by Barnes »

Exactly. A refusal to believe that the French themselves were capable of openly collaborating and coordinating with the Nazi regime and advancing their own goals through them.

Please don't try to defend her words. They speak clearly on their own.

(Sorry, had to keep fixing my iPhone's autocorrect.)
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #529 on: April 09, 2017, 03:04:24 PM »

Exactly. A refusal to believe that the French themselves were capable of openly collaborating and coordinating with the Nazi regime and advance its own principles through them.

But she's not denying that Holocaust happened as u made it seem
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #530 on: April 09, 2017, 03:08:43 PM »

Exactly. A refusal to believe that the French themselves were capable of openly collaborating and coordinating with the Nazi regime and advance its own principles through them.

Its denying the events surrounding the Holocaust, reducing one of the greatest war crimes in human history to a nationalist caricature of "WE WAZ INNOCENT".
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #531 on: April 09, 2017, 03:09:43 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2017, 03:11:26 PM by Barnes »

I made it appear no such way. I just said it's Holocaust denial: attempting to minimize or obfuscate the role or responsibility of people or a group in collaborating and carrying out a component of the Holocaust.

She's attempting to retell a rather pathetic idea of Germany's "Zero Hour" that everything which happened before 1945 is an aberration and nothing is worth learning or even talking about from it.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #532 on: April 09, 2017, 03:14:23 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2017, 03:54:33 PM by Barnes »

But anyway, we can go on about Panzergirl in another thread if we wish, I just thought I'd share the news.
DL
Canada

« Reply #533 on: April 09, 2017, 03:45:36 PM »

But I don't understand why LePen would throw her own supporters under the bus by implying that the French played no role in the Holocaust. The typical FN voter would have supported the Vichy government and would have proudly helped the Nazis round up Jews. Why doesn't LePen take pride in her movement's history as being pro Nazi? If you are in Le Pen's universe you probably think there was nothing wrong with the Holocaust
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #534 on: April 09, 2017, 03:47:06 PM »

But I don't understand why LePen would throw her own supporters under the bus by implying that the French played no role in the Holocaust. The typical FN voter would have supported the Vichy government and would have proudly helped the Nazis round up Jews. Why doesn't LePen take pride in her movement's history as being pro Nazi? If you are in Le Pen's universe you probably think there was nothing wrong with the Holocaust

It's all part of "modernizing" the FN, mon amie. Wink
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #535 on: April 09, 2017, 03:52:15 PM »

The real thing to be understood here, is that these kind of declarations never hurt the Le Pens, because the public is either unaware or indifferent. The typical FN voter doesn't really know anything about things that happened 70 years ago and doesn't really care either way.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #536 on: April 09, 2017, 03:54:20 PM »

Given Panzergirl's electorate, the typical FN voter would have been in the STO. But I digress, this is a dumb point to be discussing.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #537 on: April 09, 2017, 04:04:43 PM »

I mean, this isn't even close to the worst thing she's said this month, but I did wonder when we'd hear la papa grand peak through again.
Kringla Heimsins
France

« Reply #538 on: April 09, 2017, 04:41:27 PM »

It's not actual denial. It was also the official position of France before Chirac's presidency.

It's a "no true scotsman" fallacy: "It was not France, because the true France was in London!"

Which is bullsh**t, and implies that what makes France what it is is not its people, but its leaders.

It's ideological, but it's also supposed to please the "France can do no wrong and anything else is unnecessary repentance" crowd. This is really an unsurprising stance. I bet Fillon feel roughly the same toward the Vel d'Hiv.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #539 on: April 09, 2017, 04:47:28 PM »

ah, yeah, the Austrian position, popular for decades.

victims  - victims victims all around.

i wonder if the nazis would have been able to kill 1/10 of their real kill-counter without all those......victims.
DL
Canada

« Reply #540 on: April 09, 2017, 05:47:15 PM »

It's the French version of the Austrian myth that Hitler was German and Beethoven was Austrian
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #541 on: April 09, 2017, 06:14:05 PM »

It seems she really meant it in the sense that the REAL French government was in exile at the time, but it is stupid for a candidate who is accused of having ties or sympathies to neo-Nazis to dabble in holocaust denial like this. Granted she was never going to win a second round but this could put her first round chances in doubt as well
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #542 on: April 09, 2017, 06:47:07 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2017, 06:49:00 PM by Rogier »

It seems she really meant it in the sense that the REAL French government was in exile at the time,

If her revisionism is anything like her father's then I doubt she believes De Gaulle constituted the legitimate French government during France's period under occupation.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Its entirely deliberate. Right-wing populist parties can use this kind of rhetoric to communicate to their core militants so as to keep them from on side, but in doing so they intend attract the required headlines only for them to "moderate" their tone, so that more moderate nationalist voters at least sympathise with the end product, and buy into the idea of a left-wing bias. Then you have her apologists (all the way from Florida these days!) invade the forums, etc trying to do you on factoids, when they have never even watched the FN documentaries from the 70s and 80s.  

Le Pen previously did this on education for migrants. She first claimed she would ban education for all new migrants. Gets the headlines desired, gets invited on a TV panel, and says she meant only for illegal migrants. Its a clever tactic, as even if you disagree with the latter policy you still buy into the victim complex. When Le Pen does it its considered abhorrent because of her family name and her party's history, but the reality is its becoming widespread and not just on the extreme Right. Anything for more air time.

The real news though here is that Marine Le Pen has started to sound like her father again. It is indeed surprising that she is bringing up the WW2 revisionism.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #543 on: April 09, 2017, 07:04:23 PM »

The real news though here is that Marine Le Pen has started to sound like her father again. It is indeed surprising that she is bringing up the WW2 revisionism.

Hmm, I wonder if maybe Marine is a bit worried about the inexorable rise of her niece, especially if Philippot is going the other way.

Have you got any links to the FN docs from the 70s/80s by the way? I would be interested in watching some of them
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #544 on: April 09, 2017, 08:41:19 PM »

What are the odds of each of these match-ups happening?

Macron/Le Pen
Macron/Fillon
Macron/Mélenchon
Fillon/Le Pen
Mélenchon/Fillon
Mélenchon/Le Pen

I'm guessing something like:
Macron/Le Pen - 77%
Mélenchon/Le Pen - 9%
Fillon/Le Pen - 8%
Macron/Fillon - 3%
Macron/Mélenchon - 2%
Mélenchon/Fillon - 1%

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #545 on: April 09, 2017, 09:18:14 PM »

What are the odds of each of these match-ups happening?

Macron/Le Pen
Macron/Fillon
Macron/Mélenchon
Fillon/Le Pen
Mélenchon/Fillon
Mélenchon/Le Pen

I'm guessing something like:
Macron/Le Pen - 77%
Mélenchon/Le Pen - 9%
Fillon/Le Pen - 8%
Macron/Fillon - 3%
Macron/Mélenchon - 2%
Mélenchon/Fillon - 1%

Macron/Le Pen - 85%
Macron/Fillon - 5%
Macron/Mélenchon - NOPE
Fillon/Le Pen - 10%
Mélenchon/Fillon - NOPE
Mélenchon/Le Pen - NOPE
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #546 on: April 09, 2017, 11:42:10 PM »

No she's not. She said she believed the French were not responsible for rounding up Jewish citizens for the Germans. That's not denial of the Holocaust. That's denial that France did anything to contribute to it.

As the article says, she was wrong, but what she said was nothing close to Holocaust denial.
Which is a lie, Vichy France willing supported the Third Reich and aided in the deportation and extermination of Jewish people.

justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #547 on: April 09, 2017, 11:48:06 PM »

I like Hamon but I really hope he drops out of the race and endorses Melenchon.  I would much rather have Melenchon as president than Macron or Le Pen.
Klartext89

« Reply #548 on: April 10, 2017, 01:07:55 AM »

The feeling which told me that Trump would gonna win, is now telling me that Melanchon and Le Pen will face up in the runoff.

The Establishment will - like in Austria - need massive media Support, smear campaign, lies and of course voter fraud to get him over the finish line and prevent Le Pen then. It will get very very heated. Like Steve Bannon said at CPAC, they won't give you your Country back without a fight. Running another old Communist is the newest trick.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #549 on: April 10, 2017, 01:20:09 AM »

Which is a lie, Vichy France willing supported the Third Reich and aided in the deportation and extermination of Jewish people.

She didn't deny this.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 39  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies