Discuss ancient history with an unqualified fool (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:29:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Discuss ancient history with an unqualified fool (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Discuss ancient history with an unqualified fool  (Read 4538 times)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« on: October 07, 2014, 10:21:46 AM »

Why do you suppose that the heliocentric theory of Aristarchus of Samos was ultimately rejected or at least didn't catch on? He was certainly right that the Sun is larger than the Earth and further away, but it might be difficult to convince ancient people of his measurements and so on. Was it too esoteric or did it not pass the "eyeball test" well enough? By that, I mean that from Earth it does not appear at all that we are moving, even though the retrograde motion of the planets does not make much sense if the Earth is sedentary. That was one major thing that drove Copernicus and others at the dawn of the scientific age.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 03:04:16 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2014, 03:07:50 PM by DemPGH »

. . . It wasn't until the discovery of the Galilean moons of Jupiter that the philosophically desirable concept of a single center of celestial motion had to be abandoned in favor of systems with multiple systems . . . It wasn't really until Kepler with his simple elliptical orbits presented a new way of achieving the desired simplicity that heliocentrism became dominant, and it took Newton to make it unassailable.

Yes. Galileo's The Starry Messenger is a beautiful, wonderful thing. It provided concrete evidence of celestial bodies (moons) orbiting something other than the Earth. That was important because it demonstrated that everything did not have to orbit the Earth.

Kepler was a genius, and the amount of personal and religious turmoil going on around him (his mother being accused of witchcraft, estrangement from his wife, that he had to relocate because of the religious strife) meant that he had a lot of obstacles to overcome. That he was able to produce the 3 Laws of Planetary motion, the last being the Law of Harmony, destroyed the geocentric model, IMO.

Kepler's The Somnium, which is a story, is one of my favorites.

Still, the fact that Aristarchus could figure out something like that way ahead of time is a feat of curiosity to me. There were simply too many assumptions that Aristarchus' findings ran counter to.

Also, from the little that I have read on this subject, I think geocentric theory had been around for longer and was better established, and since the Greeks lacked the tools to disprove geocentrism, this may have been a major factor in why heliocentrism failed to catch on (geocentrism was also important in certain variants of Greek religion, which could have been another reason).

That can never be underestimated. There was a belief, an erroneous one, that things by necessity orbited the Earth - and us, since we're in a favored position. Hence, the Copernican Principle: Check your assumptions!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies