Raise the retirement age (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:20:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Raise the retirement age (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Raise the retirement age  (Read 4308 times)
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: February 27, 2017, 10:35:43 PM »

Why not?  It hasn't kept up with life expectancy.  The longer people are taking their social security the greater burden it places on society.  It's not sustainable.  This is so obvious.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 11:06:57 PM »

We're going to need a guaranteed income when robots or offshoring take half of our jobs.

It's definitely not guaranteed for you or me, no matter what promise theyre making right now.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 11:14:04 PM »

Well, for starters, life expectancy is basically stagnant in the US right now (because that tends to happen when your welfare state is crap). But more importantly, I find it adorable how this "muh life expectancy is rising!!!!" talking point always neglects to mention whose life expectancy is actually increasing. It isn't that of those who most need pensions to survive after leaving work.

Well then guess what, nobody will get anything.  Nice job.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 08:51:24 PM »

There's never going to be a solution to this crisis which is "fair" for everyone.  That's why it's a crisis.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 07:00:58 PM »

I thought we were talking about the US specifically and not "some countries". Whatever issues Italy and Germany might have, the situation in the US is different, and all I've seen suggests that Social Security is financially secure for the next decades at least.

And regardless, declining fertility rates are not a fatality, but also something that depends on policies. If you want to get serious at dealing with that, a big part of the solution is providing women with the resources they need to reconcile motherhood and a professional life (eg public childcare, long maternity leaves, etc.).

None of those things are going to increase the birth rate.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 09:45:21 PM »

Raise it for Baby Boomers....lower it for Millennials

No.  It needs to go up for everyone, millenials moreso than anyone. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies