HHS in 2010: 40-67% of those with individual insurance won't be able to keep it (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 03:04:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  HHS in 2010: 40-67% of those with individual insurance won't be able to keep it (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: HHS in 2010: 40-67% of those with individual insurance won't be able to keep it  (Read 7569 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« on: October 30, 2013, 11:27:50 AM »

Oh no!  People are going to have to get (gasp) a different health insurance plan!  And, it's going to be cheaper and provide more comprehensive coverage and if I can't afford it, the government will help me pay?  What ever shall we do?

Where on earth do you get the idea what they'll find to replace their lost coverage with is cheaper?  You might want to read the article.

George Schwab, 62, of North Carolina, said he was "perfectly happy" with his plan from Blue Cross Blue Shield, which also insured his wife for a $228 monthly premium. But this past September, he was surprised to receive a letter saying his policy was no longer available. The "comparable" plan the insurance company offered him carried a $1,208 monthly premium and a $5,500 deductible.

Damn, he got screwed.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 11:46:39 AM »

Oh no!  People are going to have to get (gasp) a different health insurance plan!  And, it's going to be cheaper and provide more comprehensive coverage and if I can't afford it, the government will help me pay?  What ever shall we do?

Where on earth do you get the idea what they'll find to replace their lost coverage with is cheaper?  You might want to read the article.

George Schwab, 62, of North Carolina, said he was "perfectly happy" with his plan from Blue Cross Blue Shield, which also insured his wife for a $228 monthly premium. But this past September, he was surprised to receive a letter saying his policy was no longer available. The "comparable" plan the insurance company offered him carried a $1,208 monthly premium and a $5,500 deductible.

What did George Schwab find on the exchanges?

If you bothered to read the article, its the very next sentence.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 11:47:25 AM »

What did George Schwab find on the exchanges?
Something a hell of a lot better than his old policy, I'm sure. The idea that two olds were receiving adequate coverage for $228/mo is ludicrous.

Reading is fundamental!
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 01:17:54 PM »

Um, yeah, and the proposal from BCBS sent in a personal letter != what he would find if he went on the exchanges and searched, including if there's any subsidies for his income.

He'll be on Medicare in 3 years anyway. 

Someone still didn't read the very next sentence of the article.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 01:22:59 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2013, 01:37:06 PM by krazen1211 »

I'm the exact same age (62), and my monthly premium is  $998.00, so yes, if the numbers above are accurate, his plan must have had very limited coverage. There is no free lunch.

On the other hand, $1,208.00 with that high a deductible does sound expensive, very expensive, for North Carolina, and that is odd, since Obamacare is designed to subsidize olds. So that part does not add up, unless the pre existing condition waiver involves a very substantial additional cost, paid for by those not sick paying higher premiums than the actuarial risk situation would justify. It also suggests what will happen to the premiums of young folks who don't qualify income wise for big subsidies.

It has a $10k deductible. Of course, $10k isn't much money really, especially when the liberals are going to screw you out of $700 a month.

In fact, Mr. Torie, someone else in a similar situation in North Carolina has uploaded a copy of their bill. Two adults in good health, children grown & gone. Likely to be 50+ years old.

Link
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 01:32:10 PM »

Another good person screwed by the liberals.

Link
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 01:39:16 PM »

Link

Sue Klinkhamer has a problem.

It’s called Obamacare.

Each year it went up a little to, as of Sept. 1, $291 with a $3,500 deductible. Then, a few weeks ago, she got a letter.

“Blue Cross,” she said, “stated my current coverage would expire on Dec. 31, and here are my options: I can have a plan with similar benefits for $647.12 [or] I can have a plan with similar [but higher] pricing for $322.32 but with a $6,500 deductible.”

Heh. Karma in a way.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 01:52:43 PM »

For the record, since liberals insist on making up drivel, one can go to the BCBS website and get quotes for 2013.

The plan here comes up as $257 monthly in zip code 28078. The 2014 plan comes up at $1153.

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 02:02:27 PM »

For the record, since liberals insist on making up drivel, one can go to the BCBS website and get quotes for 2013.

The plan here comes up as $257 monthly in zip code 28078. The 2014 plan comes up at $1153.

If that is the link you are getting all your "information" from then now your posts make sense.

It's not too hard to get the internet to work. Maybe when you figure it out you won't spew nonsense.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 02:07:17 PM »

I'm the exact same age (62), and my monthly premium is  $998.00, so yes, if the numbers above are accurate, his plan must have had very limited coverage. There is no free lunch.

On the other hand, $1,208.00 with that high a deductible does sound expensive, very expensive, for North Carolina, and that is odd, since Obamacare is designed to subsidize olds. So that part does not add up, unless the pre existing condition waiver involves a very substantial additional cost, paid for by those not sick paying higher premiums than the actuarial risk situation would justify. It also suggests what will happen to the premiums of young folks who don't qualify income wise for big subsidies.

It has a $10k deductible. Of course, $10k isn't much money really, especially when the liberals are going to screw you out of $700 a month.

In fact, Mr. Torie, someone else in a similar situation in North Carolina has uploaded a copy of their bill. Two adults in good health, children grown & gone. Likely to be 50+ years old.

Link

What is the deductible on the $1208.00 plan?  At 62, that number is very important, because the odds are quite high that the deductible will be run through. So if the deductible for the Obamacare plan is $1,000, that means about 9K is in real play that needs to be taken into account when comparing premium numbers. I run threw my deductible in about 2 months myself. It's around 5K for me when all is said and done. What I like about my plan, is that I can go to any doctor I want (almost all are part of the Anthem system), and can do so without having to waste my time with some family practitioner drone guarding the gates to the specialty that I need (dermatologist, urologist, podiatrist, surgeon, neurologist, etc.). My sex and pot doctor is not covered by my plan alas, nor my plastic surgeon. I need more coverage!  

2 people born in 1951. I suspect Mr. Schwab found something similar. I do not know his precise zip code of course and simply plugged in 28078.

Bronze 5500

Blue Advantage
MONTHLY COST

$126808
+   $634.04    You
+   $634.04    Your spouse
$1,268.08   Total

Family Deductible   $11,000 in-network / $22,000 out-of-network
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 02:11:12 PM »

If that is the link you are getting all your "information" from then now your posts make sense.

It's not too hard to get the internet to work. Maybe when you figure it out you won't spew nonsense.

Anyone else clicking on this guy's link for that $257 quote and not getting an error?  Strange how everyone else's links just require a click but with Krazy we have to "figure it out."

We have this thing called google. If you aren't smart enough to do a search, and you can't make the links work, especially after I have told you where to look, that just simply shows that you have no clue to how to shop for health insurance. Sounds like a personal problem. Pretty typical of the lazy left.

Others knew that people like you would spew drivel and so they uploaded pdfs of their actual bills.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 02:13:38 PM »

Ummm... yeah.  I don't think 67% of the US population can take a $11,000-$22,000 family hit every year.

Don't project your shortcomings onto others.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 02:20:29 PM »

Anyone else clicking on this guy's link for that $257 quote and not getting an error?  Strange how everyone else's links just require a click but with Krazy we have to "figure it out."

We have this thing called google.

Cool.  So your link doesn't work.  Thanks.  Just post a link that does work.  It's not up to us to google evidence to support you.

Shrug. It works for me in 3 different browsers. It's not my responsibility to help someone who doesn't know how to shop for health insurance figure out how to do it when he insists on making nonsense up out of his head.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 02:28:03 PM »

Ummm... yeah.  I don't think 67% of the US population can take a $11,000-$22,000 family hit every year.

Again krazen the fact you have never worked, paid taxes, and run a household comes shining through.  I make more money individually than the average family makes combined.  I have also purchase health insurance and worked at a hospital.  I don't just post snark on the internet from stuff I googled in a half a$$ed way.

krazen you can't run a country based on the fantasy people in your head.  You have to look at real numbers and use common sense.  Median household GROSS income is less than $53,000/yr.  After you pay taxes, find food and shelter, and get transportation you and your wife aren't going to have that much left to live on.  You are going to be devastated if you take a single $20,000 hit.  And if you have some chronic condition or something that requires 3 years of treatment you can easily add another $10,000 a year.

Wrong on both counts. Eventually you are going to have to start actually using real numbers and facts.

I know exactly how much my health insurance costs. It's a minor expense compared to the tax burden I have because of all these freeloading liberals around.

And since you can't make the internet work and insist on spewing drivel, here's a screenshot of the plan for 2 62 year olds in North Carolina. At least in 2013 before people like you started screwing them over.

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 02:29:11 PM »

This is supposedly the Obamacare option no?

That is the 2014 Obamacare Bronze option.

The Gold plan in North Carolina in the same zip code ($1k deductible) is roughly $1800.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 02:48:44 PM »

Again krazen the fact you have never worked, paid taxes, and run a household comes shining through.  I make more money individually than the average family makes combined.  I have also purchase health insurance and worked at a hospital.  I don't just post snark on the internet from stuff I googled in a half a$$ed way.

krazen you can't run a country based on the fantasy people in your head.  You have to look at real numbers and use common sense.  Median household GROSS income is less than $53,000/yr.  After you pay taxes, find food and shelter, and get transportation you and your wife aren't going to have that much left to live on.  You are going to be devastated if you take a single $20,000 hit.  And if you have some chronic condition or something that requires 3 years of treatment you can easily add another $10,000 a year.

Wrong on both counts.

Then what is the median gross household income for the US?  Unlike you I don't mind being corrected.  And the $20,000 and $10,000 was your numbers.  If they are wrong why did you post them?

You have made up numerous lies about my personal financial situation. That's your business.

$10k is the deductible on the 2013 plan. $11k is the deductible on the bronze 2014 plan under Obamacare. Of course, the primary difference is that your dear leader hiked the premium by nearly $1k a month.

When you grow up and you buy insurance, including homeowners insurance, auto insurance, and others, you might realize that the point is not to hit the deductible every single year, and making some bizarre assertion that someone like Mr. Schwab would be hitting the deductible every year is of course pure nonsense. In the event that he did in a given year he would naturally tap into 40 years of savings.

Of course, you didn't do even the minimal research, but simply just made this up.

Anyone who has knows that something is fishy or impossible about two olds getting an individual plan for $228/mo. 

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 02:52:33 PM »

2 people born in 1951. I suspect Mr. Schwab found something similar. I do not know his precise zip code of course and simply plugged in 28078.

Bronze 5500

Blue Advantage
MONTHLY COST

$126808
+   $634.04    You
+   $634.04    Your spouse
$1,268.08   Total

Gotta love Obamacare.

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 06:55:36 PM »

When you grow up and you buy insurance, including homeowners insurance, auto insurance, and others, you might realize that the point is not to hit the deductible every single year, and making some bizarre assertion that someone like Mr. Schwab would be hitting the deductible every year is of course pure nonsense.

What?   The example I gave was hitting the deductible for 3 years?

3 years≠every year for the rest of your life

Where do you get the idea just because someone hits their deductible it always means that was their intent?  My post made no statement regarding intent.

Let me explain this for the common sense impared.

Say you are on a car trip on a holiday weekend.  You are two states away from your home and there isn't an in network hospital in site for miles.  You get into a bad car accident.  Boom.  Right there that is over $20,000.  Which is your out of network deductable.  For the net three years you have multiple surgeries, a long hospital stay, multiple doctor follow ups, and of course copious amounts of physical and occupatinal therapy.  Assuming you are stabilized at some point you can be moved closer to home to an in network facility and upon final discharge you can see in network physicians and physical therapists.  You can also have some follow up surgeries in network.  Okay so that is $20,000+$10,000 (or $11,000) + $10 (or $11,000).  That would break the median family.  This is not the type of thing people are shooting for when they say they want health insurance.  That's all I'm saying.

Let's look at plans for the average person.

When you're old enough to buy a car, I suggest shopping for something called first party medical benefits. It costs about $40 a year and provides $50k of accident health care coverage for me. For a fellow like Mr. Schwab, such is much preffered over getting screwed by a bunch of liberals who jacked his premium to $1200 so that others could be freeloaders.

The mathematics here is heavily amusing. While claiming that some cannot pay $10k out of pocket they increase this good fellow's premium to $14k per year.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 06:57:40 PM »

As usual, Krazen is full of sh**t.

It is possible under pre-Obamacare conditions for a couple in their 60s to get "coverage" for around $250 a month...but the plan has a $10,000 deductible, only covers category 1 (cheap generic) drugs (with a $10 copay, and most category 1 drugs are less than $10, so it almost just doesn't cover drugs at all).  It is essentially covers car accidents and cancer, and all other medical bills are on the member.

That's a horrible plan, especially for a senior citizen, who is going to be paying thousands in OOP costs through the year.  I'm proud to live in a country where we have a sensible law like Obamacare that forbids unscrupulous companies from scanning senior citizens with nonsense plans like this one.

On the contrary. Mr. Schwab says himself that is a great plan. The 2014 plan with the $1200 premium is the scam, and even still maintains the deductible.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 07:07:31 PM »

He found a plan for about $985 (if I remember correctly) and said it was "unaffordable." Well, if he can't afford it, then he surely qualifies for subsidies, and he and his wife won't be paying that full cost of $12k a year for the two of them. If he doesn't qualify, he's making a substantial amount of money and can afford it, and his previous plan was Ameriplan quality and wasn't going to cover his costs as a 62-year-old. BFD.

Translation: Liberals screwed Mr. Schwab out of $8640 and liberals don't give a sh**t.

I suppose that was the point.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2013, 07:18:57 PM »

When you're old enough to buy a car, I suggest shopping for something called first party medical benefits. It costs about $40 a year and provides $50k of accident health care coverage for me. For a fellow like Mr. Schwab, such is much preffered over getting screwed by a bunch of liberals who jacked his premium to $1200 so that others could be freeloaders.

The mathematics here is heavily amusing. While claiming that some cannot pay $10k out of pocket they increase this good fellow's premium to $14k per year.

Lol.  When people resort to concrete thinking you know they don't have a point.  So car wrecks are the only way people get $20,000+ hospital bills now?  Very interesting.  Even in the thread where we discussed young people skipping out on insurance no one said anything that inane.  At this guy's age he needs to be getting all kinds of screenings and could end up with a cancer diagnosis or heart attack any day.  Love to see him get his auto insurance to cover his $20,000 deductible from the heart attack he had while sitting on a coach at his son's place out of state.

Ah, the backtracking already. I hope Mr. Schwab doesn't take your poor financial advice.

Whatever healthcare he needs of course he will pay for with the savings on his low premium. At least, before you people jacked up his insurance rates.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2013, 09:38:34 AM »

Folks, you can't make this stuff up.

Link

Her heartfelt letter made it to the President's hands and then into his October 21 speech.

"'I was crying the other day when I signed up. So much stress lifted.'" Obama said, reading from Sanford's letter.

The president said Sanford's story was proof, despite the technical problems with the healthcare.gov website, that the Affordable Care Act was working.

A cheaper "bronze" plan, Sanford said, came in at $324 per month, but also with a high deductible - also not in her budget.

Then another letter from the state exchange with even worse news.

"Your household has been determined eligible for a Federal Tax Credit of $0.00 to help cover the cost of your monthly health insurance premium payments," the latest letter said.

"This is it. I'm not getting insurance," Sanford told CNN. "That's where it stands right now unless they fix it."
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2013, 04:42:06 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2013, 04:51:57 PM by krazen1211 »

So, here's a question: If she doesn't qualify for any subsidies, she's making over $50,000, or $4,166 a month. But somehow, she doesn't have $300 a month to spend on health insurance? Everything else she's spending money on is a higher priority than her health?

Who are these people?

Well, she could be living in a high tax high real state cost area.  

One can even look at a $100K income family (although in this case it is one income one dependent) budget at

http://www.mybudget360.com/family-budget-how-to-go-broke-on-100000-a-year-why-the-middle-class-has-a-hard-time-living-in-expensive-urban-areas/

And she is more likely to be around $60K.  

Of course she can cut back other things and make it work and she should.  I think what took place here is she heard the Obama regime propaganda that this will help the middle class and lower insurance premiums by $2500 via subsidies.

$400 per month is very low for property taxes on that kind of house in Northern NJ, at least. The government education industry complex and those fat cat teachers unions charge closer to twice that.

You can't deduct premiums either until you hit 10% of AGI. It used to be 7.5% of course before Barry decided to take your money.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2013, 04:57:46 PM »

Who here gets $125/month worth of "gifts" from their parents?

If I was making $100K I would not get a $350K mortgage.  My parents made a heck of a lot more than $100K and their mortgage was not even half that size.  Live within your means.

The food stamp moochers get more than that per month gifted to them, tax free, because they don't want to live within their means. How amusing!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies