Ron Johnson thinks that Income Inequality is the American way
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:44:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ron Johnson thinks that Income Inequality is the American way
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Ron Johnson thinks that Income Inequality is the American way  (Read 3904 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2016, 01:36:59 PM »

The regressivity of sales taxes can be addressed by basing rates on the type of good or service taxed. Higher income groups use some services in higher proportion than the general population. Many states do this with reduced sales taxes on food and/or clothes, but there are many other categories of retail sales and use taxes that are tracked. Systems can be made less regressive by including categories that are more often used by the wealthy (eg financial and accounting services).

One suggestion to tax wealth accumulation is to treat capital gains as income. I would modify the usual suggestion so that the capital gain only includes the gain over inflation. Then it better rewards long-term investment over short-term asset manipulation.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2016, 01:59:55 PM »

It's a matter of degree. Everything is a balancing test.

Naturally. But you do have a terrible, terrible habit of shrieking that IT CAN'T BE DONE whenever something is proposed that you very much do not want to see happen.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2016, 04:19:27 PM »

It's a matter of degree. Everything is a balancing test.

Naturally. But you do have a terrible, terrible habit of shrieking that IT CAN'T BE DONE whenever something is proposed that you very much do not want to see happen.

I don't think so, but whatever. I was pointing out the problems with a wealth tax. Obviously it could be done. If you disagree with my description  of the problems, feel free to address that if the spirit so moves you. France I think has a wealth tax. Start from there. Go for it!
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2016, 04:36:25 PM »

Well, there are always two strands at hand in any public issue discussion. The issue of the specifics of the solution - in this case that wealth taxes are finickity and often lead to unforeseen issues - and the entirely seperate matter of whether the issue (of wealth inequality) is worth doing something about in the first place.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2016, 05:25:21 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2016, 05:28:11 PM by Torie »

Well, there are always two strands at hand in any public issue discussion. The issue of the specifics of the solution - in this case that wealth taxes are finickity and often lead to unforeseen issues - and the entirely seperate matter of whether the issue (of wealth inequality) is worth doing something about in the first place.

Exactly, wealth inequality, and in particular, wealth stagnation (actually more like decline) except for those on the very top, is a real problem - almost a toxic problem. And how to address it intelligently, rather than counterproductively, is a challenge. I keep harping on reforming low income zip code schools as ground zero on this for the long term, because I believe that is where the rubber meets the road. There is almost no issue that animates me more - none.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies