Opinion of the anti-Israel protests?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 05:10:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the anti-Israel protests?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom protests

Horrible protests

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 69

Author Topic: Opinion of the anti-Israel protests?  (Read 787 times)
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 29, 2024, 10:29:23 PM »

I don't think I've seen a more counterproductive protest in my life.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2024, 10:31:13 PM »

HP of course. Now I would say FP for pro-ceasefire ones, but I don't think there's been any that could be accurately described as that recently for awhile.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2024, 10:55:06 PM »

HP of course. Now I would say FP for pro-ceasefire ones, but I don't think there's been any that could be accurately described as that recently for awhile.
Don't most of the pro-ceasefire ones basically just demand that Biden forces Israel to accept Hamas's unreasonable conditions?
pikachu
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2024, 11:01:36 PM »

I mean….idk how much credit I’d give to the protestors, but the opinion of the median Democrat has shifted a lot on this issue since Oct. 7 and same with a lot of Democratic elected officials.

It hasn’t really translated into policy but without the protests, i could see normie Dems being more comfortable with Israel getting a blank check and Dem electeds ignoring the issue.

In my own personal life, ik a lot of political people (tbh including myself) who would not think much about this war, much like with other FP issues for better or worse, if it weren’t for the constant drumbeat of stuff going on.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2024, 11:09:59 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2024, 11:28:25 PM by Vice President Christian Man »

Many of the attendees have good intentions, but the idea that either government is going to agree on a 2-state solution that values peace, democracy, and religious freedom isn't realistic at this time. North & South Korea were in a better position; at least a vast majority South Koreans approved of Kim Jong Un before the peace talks fell.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2024, 11:17:52 PM »

HP
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2024, 11:51:39 PM »

Great. The local college is even considering a plan to divest from Israel.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2024, 01:32:04 AM »

blocking traffic because "oil is bad" is worse in my humble opinion, but it's close. On par with going to someone else's protest just to be louder than them.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2024, 01:37:28 AM »

I don't doubt the good intentions of people trying to raise awareness about Palestinian Arabs, but if such people start advocating for the death of entire ethnic/religious groups and/or the elimination of an established sovereign state, that's definitely a bridge too far and actually reduces the effectiveness of the original intention of said protests.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2024, 06:54:02 AM »

Would probably have been hugely counterproductive to their own cause due to being rife with antisemitism, hyperbolic claims and general buffoonery, but the extreme authoritarian response from universities and the police might yet give them the moral high ground they would never have had if left alone.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2024, 11:50:08 AM »

Would probably have been hugely counterproductive to their own cause due to being rife with antisemitism, hyperbolic claims and general buffoonery, but the extreme authoritarian response from universities and the police might yet give them the moral high ground they would never have had if left alone.

What is happening that is extreme in response to these protests? I keep hearing this, but I don't see it.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2024, 11:56:33 AM »

Press X to doubt
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2024, 12:01:30 PM »

I mean some of them are basically holding people hostage now by barricading or locking doors with people stuck inside...what to do there?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2024, 12:06:17 PM »

I mean some of them are basically holding people hostage now by barricading or locking doors with people stuck inside...what to do there?

I mean obviously these people need to be arrested and charged. Great. I don't think that retroactively justifies the repeated use of police violence and mass arrests to disperse what had been up to now an overwhelmingly peaceful movement. And maybe if the administration had just ignored the collective media freakout and just waited for the protests to run out of steam we wouldn't be there right now.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2024, 12:07:24 PM »

Reminder that almost all the leaders of the protests were protesting on October 7th/8th. Its obvious the background of these protests are done by vicious anti semites.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2024, 12:08:55 PM »

What is happening that is extreme in response to these protests? I keep hearing this, but I don't see it.

Texas is by their own words. I hope they are sued and forced to pay out big.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2024, 01:01:32 PM »

Scum
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2024, 06:17:46 PM »

Mixed opinion. Very mixed. Bordering on complicated frustration.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2024, 07:26:14 AM »

Mixed opinion. Very mixed. Bordering on complicated frustration.

Same. I voted Freedom Protests, because they're calling attention to an important issue. I just wish they weren't clearly advocating for Trump to win.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2024, 09:18:40 AM »

I tend not to deal in absolutes and understand that there is nuance to the types of groups that do these kinds of large scale protests, but everything I've seen leads me to believe that a majority of these college students are genuinely very dumb. They seem wildly misinformed on what has even taken place since October 7th and even more ignorant of the history between the two countries. They can boil down their positions to one-liners about Obama being a terrorist and colonizers and stuff like that, but they can't actually articulate any kind of principled position or express nuance in regards to the conflict at all. There are, of course, well-meaning people who are involved, but they appear to be an ever-shrinking minority.

Also, any American who protests explicitly in favor of Hamas...I don't want to say they should lose their right to free speech or their right to vote, because I believe those rights should be afforded to EVERYONE, but they should face consequences for advocating in favor of a terrorist group. That sh*t makes my blood boil.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2024, 09:49:23 AM »

They make me doubt my instinct to support Palestine in this war.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2024, 07:04:11 PM »

Another reason why I'm conflicted about them is probably because it's another indicator that I'm getting old. I never thought I would be wagging my finger at college students' protests this soon.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go watch 'Blue Bloods' and eat some rice pudding.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2024, 07:55:40 PM »

Acts of civil disobedience are always called “unproductive” in the moment. That’s rarely how we look back on them in hindsight.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2024, 09:31:58 PM »

The predictable consequence of Israeli interference in American politics.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2024, 07:24:23 PM »

Freedom protests. The same I think about the anti-Vietnam War protests in 1965-1973 and the anti-Iraq war protests in 2003.

And I think good that some people consider them horrible protests. A protest can be considered a protest if it bothers some people. Otherwise, it would be no more than a parade.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies