Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 06:03:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014  (Read 147228 times)
ingemann
YaBB God

« on: January 06, 2013, 11:45:29 AM »

Am I the only one seeing a degree of genius in this whole vote, by putting the vote in 2014 they ensure the government in London will play nice to Scotland, and not attempt to limit the local autonomy. So even if they lose they will have gotten several years of peace from Loondon, and the crisis may be less bad in 2014, so the risk that London will cut inn Scottish autonomy or budgets afterward will be a lot smaller.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 04:44:16 PM »

Ed Miliband calls for locations all around England to raise the Scottish saltire in "solidarity" with Scotland.  Cameron assents and starts raising it above Downing Street.  In the first try to get it up, it falls to the ground after it gets half way up the flagpole.  Metaphor ensues?

Shouldn't Tories be eager to get rid off Scotland? Tongue

Well I guess the Scottish are the price you have to pay for all that sweet oil and gas
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 03:57:11 PM »

Scotland is a much more well defined and homogeneous nation than most European nations. The old highland/lowland dividing line is virtually obsolete as the Gaeliec culture has in reality died out outside of the Western Isles (highland (pseudo-)culture has of course on a symbolic level spread to all of Scotland in the form of kilts, bagpipes and tartans etc.).

Uh-oh, sounds like someone needs to read up on his Eric Hobsbawn! Wink

I understand your points and they're well-taken, but ultimately I think any areas of Scotland that genuinely would prefer to stay in the UK by large margins should be allowed to if they make their wishes clear. There's something disturbing to me about saying, well they have to leave the UK no matter what their wishes because that's the collective will of ~the nation~. It sounds very early 20th century to me.

So you suggest that Scotland should look like a Swiss Cheese with every household deciding whether they want to be part of UK or Scotland, in fact that does seem a little unfair, what about households, where people vote for two different sides, I think we should split them or make them co-domains of Scotland and UK. Clearly that would be the anti-nationalist solution. In fact I think we should extent this to the general vote, with households voting for one party, getting their candidate as PM, while household voting for the other party getting their candidate as PM.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies