Atlas Football League 2009 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 11:36:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Atlas Football League 2009 (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Atlas Football League 2009  (Read 20203 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« on: July 13, 2009, 12:23:05 PM »

Alright, fellas.  We missed fantasy football last season, but I am more than game to restart this if we can get a league going.  My interest in fantasy baseball, and baseball itself, has sadly gone by the wayside, which I why I am particularly interested in getting this project moving.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 09:11:38 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2009, 09:13:51 PM by Supersoulty »

Soulty, I'm willing to be the commish for the league if you don't want to.

That's fine by me, as long as we use the standing order... real city/state/small region/whatever (as long as it is below country level and in North America, unless some of our friends from around the globe want to play), then team name.

I'm sorry, but having to play "Matt's Mashers" just kills the mood for me.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 01:12:51 AM »

bump again
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 11:44:32 AM »

Dude... the Omaha Steelers?  Come on.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 02:47:30 PM »

But I thought that's what you wanted?  Should I be the dead0men?  That's how I usually roll in Fantasy Football.

I didn't want people bogarting the names of existing teams.  Especially not awesome ones.  You can be the Lions if you want.  Wink
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 02:29:03 AM »

Bump

P.S.  Who ever actually called their team "Matt's Mashers" (our wonderful commissioner I assume), please change it.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 11:12:11 PM »

Would someone just sign up so we can draft, already?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 10:09:19 PM »

Wow... glad I knew the draft was on.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 10:10:56 PM »

And now that I have seen my team... wow... I wouldn't have drafted a single one of them.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 12:07:19 PM »

Why do people think that RB touchdowns should be worth more?  Because the RB does it on his own while the QB needs a receiver?  Interesting theory, but I think there are alot of Offensive Linemen who wouldn't agree with it.  Without good blocking, the RB isn't going anywhere.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 11:47:08 AM »

To hopefully bring more interest to the league...

I think I'm going to actually critique the draft and the matchups for each Week this season akin to what Smash255 did when ATFFL ran things.

I am also going to comment on trades or FA pickups throughout the year as I see them.

Which is what I want to do first...

Trades
Had our first one today between Pittsburgh and Austin, with Marion Barber (RB) and Ben Roethlisberger (QB) going to Pittsburgh in exchange for Clinton Portis (RB) and Jason Witten (TE).  I think Austin gets the better of the trade by a good bit, but I can see how Pittsburgh views it as a necessity (though I wouldn't have done it).

I have issues with both RBs (I passed on Marion Barber at the draft).

While I have always liked Marion Barber, I view him as a back better utilized in a two-back system as a change of pace to a smash-mouth type.  In fact, he performed marginally better in this role in 2006 and 2007 than 2008.  Granted, the Cowboys were better in those two seasons than now, but still...  Obviously, Felix Jones (who has oodles of talent) and Tashard Choice will steal some carries from him this year - Jones is the particularly worrisome prospect.  More importantly though, the Dallas offense the last couple of years (under Jason Garrett) has fallen into pass-happiness far too often for me to feel confident that this won't happen again.  Plus, Wade Phillips sucks at coaching...  Tongue

When Clinton Portis came out as a rookie, he provided me with my only real opportunity to win my "old-timers" league (which I missed by one point) and I still have a soft spot for him.  He is still a very-talented back.  I worry, though, about his wear-and-tear and Washington has kind of hinted that they worry about this too (probably leading to more Ladell Betts).  Plus, Washington's offense kinda sucks (I mentioned this earlier) - however, their defense is better and bad offenses are not necessarily bad for running backs.  I still think he should have a good season.

Pittsburgh had some issues at QB, so I can understand the Roethlisberger pickup, but obviously I'm not high on him being a fantasy star.  Especially if he has trouble staying upright.

Jason Witten is one of the top-three TEs in football and with TO gone, I can only see him getting more touches.  Enough said.

Waiver Wire
1.  Pickup: Ted Ginn Jr. (WR); Drop: Arizona (DEF) - Matt's Mashers

Ginn was probably one of the best WRs left on the board at the end of the draft.  What that exactly means is something, though he clearly is the #1 WR in Miami and Pennington is a reliable QB (imo) if healthy.  I do like that he is in his 3rd year - when WRs usually make that jump.

I'm not particularly convinced about Arizona's defense this year (even though schedule is favorable), but since Matt already had Chicago, it makes sense to me.

2. Pickup: Donald Brown (RB); Drop: La'Ron McClain (RB) - Miami Lice

I meant to pick up Donald Brown via waivers when I heard he was going to be getting 2/3rds of the carries, but was lazy in using #1 waiver priority.  It'll be used soon.  I don't know what more there is to say.  In that offense, major possibility that should be owned by everyone.

La'Ron McClain ain't getting many carries this year unless Rice or McGahee are injured (and probably both).

3. Pickup: Leon Washington (RB); Drop: Earl Bennett (WR) - Houston Humidity

After the Donald Brown screwup, I read through the highlights on the Saints third preseason game and saw that Lance Moore was healthy and got targeted by Drew Brees more than anyone else during the 1st half (including TD catch).  So I felt confident to run out only 3 WRs (in a league where only two start) and play around with the RBs.

Leon Washington tops my list.  I said last year (because I get to watch the Jets a lot) that he was by far the most talented Jets offensive player and that Mangina and Schottenheimer simply did not know how to use him (idiots).  Been watching/reading Jets stuff this pre-season - they know what I said above and plan on using him constantly, whether RB or WR and possibly Wildcat too.  I expect Sanchez as a rookie to checkdown a lot to RB and TE, which only increases his value (as it does Keller).  Plus he's a deadly screen guy - I suspect we'll see him break a few long screens this year like the last couple.  Add to the fact that he's got return capabilities (which count in this league) and is in a contract year. 

At best, I look at him as a poor man's Reggie Bush and long-term I think he's going to be better fantasy-wise than Reggie Bush - maybe even this year.  I think I just sold myself Tongue

You know what I think about Bennett from above.  I don't think I need another WR, barring injury or diamond in the rough.

4. Pickup: San Francisco (DEF); Drop: Cincinnati (DEF) - Pittsburgh Predators

Why anyone would own Cincy's defense is beyond me.  Wink However, when your other defense is Tennessee, do you really need two defenses?

The trade I initiated with Austin came only after long, in depth negotiation (it took about 7 tries to work out an agreement).  My thinking was that, while the TE position is good padding, it is not a vital fantasy position (basically like real life there, though I real football, I would take a good TE over a good WR, if I already had a good WR on my team... not here).

I needed Roethlisberger.  I didn't live draft because I had no idea the draft was in progress at the time.  I would not have picked either of those two QB's (though in a pitch, I would have taken Flacco over Palmer anyday).  It doesn't matter what kinda QB Palmer is going to be, coming back from his second major injury, the fact is that the Bengals are a mess on all sides of the ball.  I wanted a QB, and had two great RB's, while Austin had an excess of QB's, but needed a solid #1 RB and a TE.  I thought it was a decent trade.  I won't miss Witten too much, and with Barber, I won't feel the loss of Portis too badly.

Again, I didn't draft the Bengals defense, and frankly, wouldn't have drafted the Titans D either, since I don't feel they will be as effective this year, without Haynesworth, but that is who I have.  I am going to need a defense for the Titans bye week, and of the that were left, I saw the most promise in San Fran, with Coach Singletary at the helm.  I'll probably ditch them after the Titans bye week.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 11:56:17 AM »

Also, word out of training camp was that Roethlisberger had the best camp of his career, prior to the injury, and I know that with the Steelers Defense out there, Ben won't be pressured into making too many low percentage throws, even with the worst Offensive Line in the League.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 12:15:53 AM »
« Edited: September 11, 2009, 12:17:29 AM by Supersoulty »

BTW... in case anyone is wondering why I benched TEN and put in SF Defense... honestly, I don't have a problem with hoping that one player has a good game against my team, because that doesn't necessarily seem like you are totally rooting against them, but to hope that an entire defensive unit has a good game against your team pretty much is.

So, I benched TEN purely out of real fan loyalty.  If I lose this week because of that... well then so be it.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 12:23:40 AM »

BTW... in case anyone is wondering why I benched TEN and put in SF Defense... honestly, I don't have a problem with hoping that one player has a good game against my team, because that doesn't necessarily seem like you are totally rooting against them, but to hope that an entire defensive unit has a good game against your team pretty much is.

So, I benched TEN purely out of real fan loyalty.  If I lose this week because of that... well then so be it.

Hey, who knows?  Maybe Kurt Warner will return to the old fumblerooski Kurt Warner of 2002-2007...  Wink + Tongue

I do have some reasonable hope that the 49ers Defense is going to come up with a few tricks to throw off even the high caliber Cardinals offense.  Maybe a pick here and there.  I'm not lying, I do have confidence in Coach Singletary's ability to pull this team together.  Also, even though it was low scoring (or kinda high scoring from the fantasy perspective), I was not impressed with the Titans defense tonight.  They stopped the run, but were terrible against the pass, and could not effectively pass rush against one of the weakest lines in the league.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 04:58:26 PM »

Not to brag or anything, buuuuuuut...I just got over 70 points from Drew Brees and the Eagles D. Grin

Yeah, I must admit to being a little intimidated by the fact that you have one player who has scored more, thus far, than my entire team.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 06:09:37 PM »

I have a terrible team today, and I'm still pretty much tied in my game. Hopefully Rivers shows up tomorrow night.

The way the league looks this week there are three good teams and then the rest.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2009, 01:08:36 AM »

Well, as long as Gostkowski doesn't kick the Hell out of the ball tomorrow, I should crawl my way to a victory this week.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 02:06:15 AM »

Well, as long as Gostkowski doesn't kick the Hell out of the ball tomorrow, I should crawl my way to a victory this week.

Projections don't agree with that at all.

Well, that's nice.  I guess we'll find out, won't we?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2009, 12:54:14 PM »

I mean, yeah, unless the NFL gets cancelled in the next sixteen hours.

I am assuming now that you are "Matt's Mashers".

Anyway, dude, I have two receivers.  You have a kicker.  I am down by three points.  Even if it is projecting you to win that means precisely dick right now.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 06:15:01 PM »

You have the Raiders tight-end and Terrell Owens. I have the kicker of the projected 3rd best NFL  offense against a bad defense. Not to mention the best kickers were actually worth more than the best WRs last season.

I think it's likely it means more than your opinion, especially when you don't even know what positions you have active.

Excuse me?  Dude, I said "receivers" which in fantasy football pretty much means tight ends.  Jake, you would think you would have learned by now that anytime you try to manuver yourself into a position of feeling superior, it ends up backfiring.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 06:30:38 PM »

Hey, nice kick, Jakey.  Might want to do more practice reps.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2009, 07:03:11 PM »

*Sigh*

I should have put Flacco in.  I was strongly considering it.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2009, 07:11:28 PM »

I am glad the Patriots scored.  The more the Patriots score, the more opportunities are going to be open for T.O.  This is a double edged sword for you, Jakey.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2009, 07:37:55 PM »

Hmmm... while the running game is working for Buffalo, it's killing me.  Air it out you assholes.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2009, 07:52:46 PM »

Except TEs values are drastically different than WRs.

Thanks... having just watched my very first football game yesterday, I was less than clear on that fact.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies