Balance of Power (Sign Up/Rules/Commentary Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 10:40:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Balance of Power (Sign Up/Rules/Commentary Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19
Author Topic: Balance of Power (Sign Up/Rules/Commentary Thread)  (Read 30363 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: May 04, 2014, 12:58:38 AM »

• The scheming, licentious, decadent British Empire has hit a new low. How dare you accuse my Tsarina of being an adultress?!?
Technically, they claimed she's passing off her nephew as her son not that she's an adultress.  Still fairly low, but even so I would have thought the British upper crust would have left such slander to others.  They rarely wish to be seen having dirty hands of their own.  Not because dirty hands would indicate that they are sleazy, but because dirty hands would mean they actually did some work.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #151 on: May 04, 2014, 06:47:25 AM »

When can we expect phase results? (we can't really say much about military policies before that)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #152 on: May 04, 2014, 11:29:11 AM »

When can we expect phase results? (we can't really say much about military policies before that)

I believe I still need Germany, Austria, Japan and the United States.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #153 on: May 04, 2014, 11:43:31 AM »

I believe I still need Germany, Austria, Japan and the United States.

Guys, you had like a week to send you bloody orders, come on! Sad
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #154 on: May 04, 2014, 12:24:06 PM »

So I'm back, but I'll have a stressful week next week... So could you play for me just until Friday, Windjammer? I'll be back by then, really, but my week will be really stressful, so I won't really be able to play with you guys.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #155 on: May 04, 2014, 12:48:58 PM »

So I'm back, but I'll have a stressful week next week... So could you play for me just until Friday, Windjammer? I'll be back by then, really, but my week will be really stressful, so I won't really be able to play with you guys.

Take care and be back whenever you feel ready, pal Smiley
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #156 on: May 04, 2014, 01:26:18 PM »

No problems!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #157 on: May 04, 2014, 01:48:22 PM »

Btw, I assume, since it was decided a turn before, that Vice President Hay has already arrived for his state visit in Constantinopole?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #158 on: May 05, 2014, 02:19:00 PM »

Current Alliances:

Three Power Alliance (USA, UK and Japan)
Quadruple Alliance (Germany, Italy, Austria-Hungary and Japan)
Franco-Russian Alliance (France and Russia)
Franco-American Alliance (France and USA)
Franco-British Alliance (France and the UK)
Turkish-American Alliance (Ottoman Empire and USA)
Turkish-German Alliance (Turkey and the German Empire)
Orthodox League (Russia, Serbia, Montenegro and Romania)
Adriatic League (Greece and Italy)[/center]

I believe France renounced their alliance with Russia last turn.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #159 on: May 05, 2014, 02:34:14 PM »

Current Alliances:

Three Power Alliance (USA, UK and Japan)
Quadruple Alliance (Germany, Italy, Austria-Hungary and Japan)
Franco-Russian Alliance (France and Russia)
Franco-American Alliance (France and USA)
Franco-British Alliance (France and the UK)
Turkish-American Alliance (Ottoman Empire and USA)
Turkish-German Alliance (Turkey and the German Empire)
Orthodox League (Russia, Serbia, Montenegro and Romania)
Adriatic League (Greece and Italy)[/center]

I believe France renounced their alliance with Russia last turn.

Indeed, I'll correct that once the turn ends. It's kind of hard to keep track when people are signing so many treaties, xD (and let's not even count secret agreements)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #160 on: May 06, 2014, 05:14:35 AM »

Guys, there's been 10 days since Phase Two ended... come on!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #161 on: May 06, 2014, 04:08:11 PM »

They already sent their orders, Kalwejt, I'm still calculating since there are a bunch of fronts, xD
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #162 on: May 06, 2014, 05:29:38 PM »

They already sent their orders, Kalwejt, I'm still calculating since there are a bunch of fronts, xD

Oh, great to hear Cheesy
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #163 on: May 07, 2014, 12:10:21 AM »
« Edited: May 07, 2014, 12:15:22 AM by True Federalist »

Prince William is hardly one to be accusing others of being warmongers considering all the wars he has sold to the American people in his time in office.  Does he not comprehend the folly of thinking that the way to resolve war is with more war?

Mr. Bryan has crossed the line...

A debate in Washington to determine the best course of action is a legitimate discussion to be had..... comparing our President to the tyrant wreaking havoc on our world- to an international audience no less- is treasonous in this time of war

I order the Attorney General to prosecute Mr. Bryan for treason and I order he be seized by the Bureau of Investigation immediately and interrogated to determine if he is an enemy agent sent to divide our nation

I had given Prince William the benefit of the doubt in choosing to not also call him a tyrant.  I am sad to see that I erred in assuming that he would not be so brazen as to abandon our constitution and its right to speak freely.  While I am not yet so despairing that this land would trade liberty for fetters that I would seek to leave it, this situation does bring to mind a quote from Abraham Lincoln concerning the dangers of the Know-Nothings of his day and their efforts to pervert the constitution in the name of defending it: "When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretense of loving liberty – to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocrisy."  A particularly apt quote considering the actions of our hypocrite-in-chief.

He also appears to be our anachronist-in-chief considering that the Bureau of Investigation won't exist for another five years in real life.

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #164 on: May 07, 2014, 12:12:36 AM »

Hey! No talking after lights out or you go to the hole.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #165 on: May 07, 2014, 12:19:32 AM »

Prince William is hardly one to be accusing others of being warmongers considering all the wars he has sold to the American people in his time in office.  Does he not comprehend the folly of thinking that the way to resolve war is with more war?

Mr. Bryan has crossed the line...

A debate in Washington to determine the best course of action is a legitimate discussion to be had..... comparing our President to the tyrant wreaking havoc on our world- to an international audience no less- is treasonous in this time of war

I order the Attorney General to prosecute Mr. Bryan for treason and I order he be seized by the Bureau of Investigation immediately and interrogated to determine if he is an enemy agent sent to divide our nation

I had given Prince William the benefit of the doubt in choosing to not also call him a tyrant.  I am sad to see that I erred in assuming that he would not be so brazen as to abandon our constitution and its right to speak freely.  While I am not yet so despairing that this land would trade liberty for fetters that I would seek to leave it, this situation does bring to mind a quote from Abraham Lincoln concerning the dangers of the Know-Nothings of his day and their efforts to pervert the constitution in the name of defending it: "When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretense of loving liberty – to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocrisy."  A particularly apt quote considering the actions of our hypocrite-in-chief.

He also appears to be our anachronist-in-chief considering that the Bureau of Investigation won't exist for another five years in real life.

President McKinley created the Bureau of Investigation a couple of years ago, and it has been quite effective so far against radicals, anarchists and foreign spies. Mr. Bryan, you are under arrest for the time being, and everything you say can be used against you in a trial.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #166 on: May 07, 2014, 12:31:17 AM »
« Edited: May 07, 2014, 12:35:44 AM by True Federalist »

I doubt that Prince William would ship me all the was to Constantinople, tho he has attempted to do with me what a predecessor of his did with Vallandigham.  At least that had the veneer of legality as habeus corpus had been suspended.  I am unaware that habeus corpus had been suspended and fail to see how constitutionally it could be unless the Russian Navy has somehow managed to best that of the Allied Landgrabbers and place the United States in danger of invasion thanks to the recklessness of Prince William.

Mr. Bryan, you are under arrest for the time being, and everything you say can be used against you in a trial.

If need be, I am prepared to be a martyr for freedom and liberty.  I remind our American Caesar that ultimately making martyrs is a fruitless task.  If he does manage to silence me, I expect that twelve more will rise to take my place, and that if those twelve be silenced, that seventy more will rise.  If I prove mistaken in that belief that there will be an upwelling of the apostles of liberty, then I truly weep for our once great nation.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #167 on: May 07, 2014, 12:34:29 AM »

I see Mr. Bryan has taken to rambling in his cell...
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #168 on: May 07, 2014, 12:48:09 AM »

I doubt that Prince William would ship me all the was to Constantinople, tho he has attempted to do with me what a predecessor of his did with Vallandigham.  At least that had the veneer of legality as habeus corpus had been suspended.  I am unaware that habeus corpus had been suspended and fail to see how constitutionally it could be unless the Russian Navy has somehow managed to best that of the Allied Landgrabbers and place the United States in danger of invasion thanks to the recklessness of Prince William.

Mr. Bryan, you are under arrest for the time being, and everything you say can be used against you in a trial.

If need be, I am prepared to be a martyr for freedom and liberty.  I remind our American Caesar that ultimately making martyrs is a fruitless task.  If he does manage to silence me, I expect that twelve more will rise to take my place, and that if those twelve be silenced, that seventy more will rise.  If I prove mistaken in that belief that there will be an upwelling of the apostles of liberty, then I truly weep for our once great nation.

While his nation is at war, Mr. Bryan has explicitly stated he's hoping for his Russian comrades to invade America and rescue him from a well-deserved arrest. Is he gunning to be General Governor of occupied America? Or does he simply hates his own people?

You, sir, have just condemned yourself by your own reckless words. TRAITOR!
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #169 on: May 07, 2014, 01:56:13 AM »

While his nation is at war, Mr. Bryan has explicitly stated he's hoping for his Russian comrades to invade America and rescue him from a well-deserved arrest. Is he gunning to be General Governor of occupied America? Or does he simply hates his own people?

You, sir, have just condemned yourself by your own reckless words. TRAITOR!

Nay, I stated that Prince William's recklessness could lead to an invasion of our proud land, not that I desired such a thing.  Indeed, my desire to keep my land safe from any foreign invasion is a major reason I wish our country to stay out of foreign wars.

I have never advocated supporting any foreign realm over the United States, nor have I ever advocated any act against the United States.  My only "crime" is to criticize the mistakes the present administration has made.  If we only have freedom to say good things about our government and those in it, then we have no freedom.  McKinley seems to think disagreeing with him in time of war is traitorous.  I trust that no judge or jury interested in truth or justice will convict me of treason for there is no validity to Prince William's baseless charge.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #170 on: May 07, 2014, 08:47:05 AM »

I started off by making one post here in the commentary thread attacking McKinley (aka Prince William) in the style of William Jennings Bryan (the Democratic nominee in 1896 and 1900) and it sort of grew from there.

Austria-Hungary will join Chancellor Bulow's attack in Poland.  Russia must not be able to further strengthen its sphere of influence in Europe, and Chancellor Bülow and I are committed to preventing that.

OOC: Thanks for telling me your war plans.

Lol!

Sigh.  If Prince William had to drag us into foreign wars between predatory pilfering piratical potentates, I do wish he had chosen competent conspirators to work with.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #171 on: May 07, 2014, 11:07:19 PM »

Given the decimation of the Russian Navy, it is clear that if there ever was any threat to American interests from the bellicose Tsar, there is none now.  Furthermore the attacks by the Kaliph and the Mikado against peaceful neutral nations makes it clear that even if American interests could be advanced by involving ourselves in foreign wars, the Ottoman and Japanese Empires are not peaceable nations worthy of being allied to our great republic.  Hopefully Prince William will see the rashness of dragging down the reputation of America further when there is nothing to be gained and instead seek to end this war quickly with an honorable peace for all and begin to disentangle us from the machinations of foreign potentates.  It is time to end the McKinley Doctrine and restore the Monroe Doctrine that has served America so well in the past.

Nonetheless, lest my words be taken out of context, while McKinley has been a shameless warmonger, it was our fair republic that to its great shame bought the war he sold.  Until our participation is ended, either by him and his war party if they prove wiser than past experience would indicate or by the winners of the next election if Prince William continues to lead our country on the road to damnation, then those who have enlisted in our army and navy should follow his lawful orders, despite however detrimental they may be to the interests of our country.  Our republic is great enough that not even his folly is irreparable by the ballot box, assuming that the Republican Party does not decide to abandon our republican form of government and make my hyperbole of denominating our president as a prince into a reality.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #172 on: May 07, 2014, 11:16:25 PM »

If a nation decided to attack us and threaten our homeland- would we not want our allies fighting to their last man to save our souls? To expect much behavior, we must exhibit it ourselves....being a good ally has proven very beneficial for us and will continue to do so. Diplomacy occurs- why isolate ourselves from it? Perhaps the gentleman does not realize that the world is united against the Russian menace....our policymakers are not alone in assessing the threat
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #173 on: May 07, 2014, 11:30:29 PM »

I see that sadly, yet as expected, that Prince William fails to comprehend that by treating war as a legitimate tool of diplomacy he makes it far more likely that said tool will be used against us.  Unlike the bellicose nations of the Old World, our republic has been blessed by Providence to have no nation on our borders dangerous enough to be a threat to us or our prosperity.  Yet by his actions, Prince William has in the absence of natural enemies to our republic sought to cultivate unnatural ones.  What interest would the cossacks have ever had in attacking us ere this war?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #174 on: May 07, 2014, 11:31:58 PM »

OOC: Now that we have advanced quite a lot and the butterflies are getting more and more evident, I would like to say that if you thing this world is looking a little bit more grim than OTL Belle Epoque, we're only getting started. (Muahahaha!)

I see that sadly, yet as expected, that Prince William fails to comprehend that by treating war as a legitimate tool of diplomacy he makes it far more likely that said tool will be used against us.  Unlike the bellicose nations of the Old World, our republic has been blessed by Providence to have no nation on our borders dangerous enough to be a threat to us or our prosperity.  Yet by his actions, Prince William has in the absence of natural enemies to our republic sought to cultivate unnatural ones.  What interest would the cossacks have ever had in attacking us ere this war?

Mr. Bryan, I am sad to be the one to send this notification, but you are technically dead, sir. (Despite that, those speeches have been quite fascinating, and a great way to add flavor to the game)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies