Australian electorate maps - by poll/locality/postcode (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 12:59:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australian electorate maps - by poll/locality/postcode (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Australian electorate maps - by poll/locality/postcode  (Read 9097 times)
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« on: September 08, 2013, 05:15:27 PM »

Cartographic sins? Nonsense! Great job! It if difficult to plot accurately because people can vote wherever they wish. I have done some similar work, and other sites attempted also. I'm responding presently on my phone, I may edit, or else respond more fully, once I'm at a computer. I may also be able to track down some other interesting information and sub-electorate voting results maps that have been made by officials. I have some on my computer, but there is one that I will need to look for first.

Great work, I would like to assist you where possible, and I have a few other ideas and suggestions that I'll discuss further shortly.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 12:28:15 AM »

This Victorian Electoral Commission newsletter from May 2009 is a few years old now, but I remembered an article on the back page, relating to geographically plotting the locations of addresses on the electoral roll (with Kororoit illustrated as an example). It's a bit like that racial dot map that was doing the rounds of here and Facebook a couple of weeks ago, but instead of the colour of the dot representing ethnicity, it represented a particular polling booth.

The point I am trying to make is that although there is no compulsion to vote at a particular polling place/station/precinct in the manner overseas, there are very definitely booth catchments, that become obvious when looking at this map. This implies that your rough intra-electoral boundaries representing booths, while possibly not perfectly aligning with booth catchments, will certianly be "somewhat accurate" and I think very useful. They will give us a good idea of areas of voting strength within electorates.

See also this website, which shows voting results in 2010 by polling booth for specific electorates, and also wider afield: "Melbourne Metropolitan", "Sydney Basin", etc. He uses dots to represent the location of booths, with larger dots for larger electorates, and shaded in a few different tones (less than we use here, but still better than a simple bi-chromatic "either red or blue" scheme).

You may also recall this map, that is in the Gallery, and that I've posted before:

I have it for the whole of the Greater Metropolitan Area (881 polling booths in total). It is presently just the 2010 state election results and booths, but I'll probably upload it here sometime after the state redistribution is finalised. I may start work soon on doing something similar for the federal booths.

Additionally, the federal Parliamentary Library prepares vote maps of electorates by CCD/SA1 (small statistical areas used by the Bureau of Statistics during the Census). My understanding is that the AEC provides details of how many electors from each CCD/SA1 vote at each polling booth, and the Parliamentary Library then creates the maps through weighted averages of booth results. The only problem is, each map is then shaded into... I don't know... quintiles, I guess - five bands, anyway, but each electorate has its own scale, so one map is not directly comparable to the next map.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 02:30:30 AM »

Sophomore surge? All changed hands in 2007, after all.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 06:23:49 PM »

Beautiful work!
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 12:44:10 AM »

You are awesome. That is all that can be said. You are awesome.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 08:54:22 PM »

Nimbin doesn't half stand out!

Also, I found Eden-Monaro interesting. I suspect that if these results were projected onto state boundaries, the result in Bega and Monaro would be flipped (compared to 2007, given the coastal Bega was Liberal-held, while the inland Monaro, which includes Queanbeyan, was Labor-held) and kinda-half-flipped compared to 2011 (given that both are Coalition held, but Bega substantially safer). Labor's vote in Eden-Monaro seems to be a belt connecting Queanbeyan, and then running East, and then South along the Coast. Perhaps Polnut or Hugh may have insights into this?
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 06:16:20 PM »

Awesome job, mate!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies