SAT exam to give students "adversity score" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 05:27:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SAT exam to give students "adversity score" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SAT exam to give students "adversity score"  (Read 1406 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« on: May 19, 2019, 11:41:02 PM »

It's a terrible idea that should be scrapped.

Thanks for summing up my feelings about the SAT.

I could write a multi-paragraph post about how the SAT was never even created to be a fair assessment, takes away from instructional time and forces teachers to forego more creative activities to prepare students instead, puts an unhealthy amount of stress on students, and exists in part so that companies like Pearson can profit enormously. Instead, I'll just say that a multiple choice test that only covers a few themes within two subjects and punishes students for making educated guesses is a ridiculous form of assessment, and the fact is that students from wealthy families/areas have more resources at their disposal.

As for this idea, I think other posters put it pretty well when they described it as putting a band-aid on a broken limb. Rather than addressing the reasons why low-income students and many students of color come to the SAT at a disadvantage, it's essentially trying to compensate for this, which does not help any of these students in their educational journey in general. We need systematic changes to our education system and our district administrations to better serve lower income communities, not a measure that merely recognizes that a problem exists and tries to "adjust" for said problem.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies