Have you ever visited a facility for mentally challenged people ? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 02:19:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Have you ever visited a facility for mentally challenged people ? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Have you ever visited a facility for mentally challenged people ?  (Read 2785 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: June 26, 2012, 03:37:29 AM »

My hometown has a couple of such places.  One state run facility, part of it is used for the criminally insane (though it doesn't seem to anymore).  I only went once, when I was a wee lad.  The other is a private non-profit place where people would send their "special" kids.  I spent a lot of time there.  Several people at my church worked there, my oldest sister spent a couple of summers working there.  They did fireworks there every July 4th and I went most years.  My best friend growing up had a retarded older brother.  My middle sister worked as a special ed teacher for many years before getting burned out.  So I've spent a lot of time around the mentally challenged.  Not so oddly, they are just like "regular" people, some are cool, most aren't.  Some are assholes, most aren't.  I could never work with them, I lack the patience needed.  The people that do work with them should get paid much more than they are currently.

As for the places themselves, I find them generally depressing.  On the other hand, most of the people there seem pretty happy (maybe the drugs?) so it's kind of uplifting at the same time.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 11:53:12 AM »

Yes, I have spent time with psychotics in facilities, mostly with schizophrenia. They tended to enjoy spending time with me, and a couple of women wanted to take me to bed. Most were quite gentle, I guess because they were on their meds.
.....were they gentle in general, or during the "bedding"?  Your post isn't clear.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies