Do you stand for the Pledge of Allegiance/National Anthem? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 02:57:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you stand for the Pledge of Allegiance/National Anthem? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
Yes

No

I have in the past, but will no longer

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 74

Author Topic: Do you stand for the Pledge of Allegiance/National Anthem?  (Read 4562 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« on: September 18, 2016, 10:58:54 AM »

Having children recite it is definitely a bit creepy though.
Why? You have to teach it early on, so that they are going to love their country!

... I can't quite tell if that was intended to be a serious argument.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 02:21:17 PM »

Hey everybody, go check out the Bellamy salute, for the lols.  It's how children were "encouraged" to salute the flag during the PoA until 1942.

I wonder why they changed it. Huh
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 11:23:33 PM »

Hey everybody, go check out the Bellamy salute, for the lols.  It's how children were "encouraged" to salute the flag during the PoA until 1942.

I wonder why they changed it. Huh
What is your point exactly?

The identification of and solution to the problem was so classically American.  Cheesy

"Hmm, those danged Nazis are using the same salute to that Hitler guy as our precious kids are using to our flag!  This looks terrible!"
"I agree.  Now you mention it, having kids saluting to a flag and reciting a pledge of loyalty to it does look a little fasc-"
"I got it!  We'll just change the salute!  Problem solved."
"But, it still looks like-"
"Problem solved."
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 12:57:38 AM »

People should wear their best clothes for church. If 'best' isn't necessarily that great, then that's absolutely okay, but anyone middle-class or above should dress essentially as Santander is suggesting. Of course churchgoers shouldn't judge one another for their attire (churchgoers shouldn't really be focusing on one another at all during most parts of a service) but people should make the choice for themselves to honor God by dressing up at least a little.

It's obviously none of my business what people wear to these rituals, but this post was nonetheless quite troubling to read.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 01:08:35 AM »

I was rather hoping for more of an explanation from you, actually.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 01:33:24 AM »

Okay. I don't like the idea that leftism needs to imply casualness. Obviously people in congregations that have problems with class divisions should exercise their best judgment and perhaps not dress up to the same extent as in congregations with less history of that sort of thing, but I hardly think it makes me some sort of Simfanesque Tory to suggest that people in the presence of God, who can afford to do so, should wear a cardigan and khakis (or a shell top with a nice skirt, if one doesn't go in for masculine or androgynous looks) or something. The ties and spectator shoes (seriously, on further thought, wtf) are a little over-the-top unless it's a major holiday or feast day or something, sure.

Unless what worries you is non-political?

I just didn't fully see where you were going with the reference to class divisions.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies