Southern Chamber of Delegates Thread-Introduce Legislation Here (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 01:40:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Southern Chamber of Delegates Thread-Introduce Legislation Here (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Southern Chamber of Delegates Thread-Introduce Legislation Here  (Read 10616 times)
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: March 08, 2017, 05:47:00 PM »

lol. Goodness gracious. First off, the bill is fine, I of course support the right to unionize and for working peoples to negotiate fair wages.

Also, to Ben's "point", we as Laborites are unique individuals who each agree and disagree on many issues. So stating that because both myself, and JTC are from the same party, we should agree on everything is extremely silly. I, of course, recognize that you have an issue with comradery and unity, so I wouldn't expect you to understand.

On the issue of the bill, I am more than happy to sponsor it, but I would prefer that Mr. Cuber do it when he is elected to the Chamber this weekend.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 10:32:48 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2017, 10:35:10 PM by Delegate NeverAgain »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 02:33:58 PM »

Can I make a bill that would create some sort of 'commission' appointed by the Governor, but not filled by actual Atlasians?

An NPC Commission? Sounds cool, you may want to say that the results would be published by the GM.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 09:26:45 PM »

NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 09:27:16 PM »

NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 09:29:40 PM »

I would ask that this be put forward promptly through an emergency slot, as the urgent situation with our rules must be addressed before we can address any other legislation. I would hope that all Delegates agree with me on this front.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 04:41:08 PM »

Okay, so I completely understand the rationale of the Speaker, but currently our rules are entirely and throughly unclear in many key aspects of how we function as a legislature. Many of the "bills" proposed by Mr. Kenobi are silly and detract from the reason we were all elected here.

I ask that we either consider the motion proposed by Mr. Cuber, after it is clarified to be established as the next bill in the list, or I will be forced to liken myself to Fmr. President Yankee and manually open an emergency slot for this legislation.

I am not an impatient person, but when we have stalled on one bill for days, and are in extreme danger od a rules crisis daily. Yet, we are not even talking about bills that will even touch any Atlasians lives directly, the minimum wage, income security, and the like. These are the problems that millions are facing and I will not idly by and do nothing as people are left destitute because we must pass through bills establishing milk, as the region drink, or naming airports, or telling y'all to take your hats off.

I mean no disrespect to the Speaker, as these are systemic problems that have been ignored, but now is the time to fix them.

I will be issuing a EO or slotting tomorrow, if we can't get this on the floor tonight.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 11:14:53 PM »

Again, this is not the power of the governor to usurp the power of the delegates. If you wanted to be a delegate, you should have stayed there.

Entirely true, that's why I was elected overwhelmingly by the people of this region to govern and to administer the law. If your obvious spamming of legislation to impede Legislature progress is not resolved within my earlier time-limit, I will be force to pursue executive action to pass clear and established rules for this legislature.

I respect the Speaker, in her wish to abide by the status-quo, but too much of everyone's time has been wasted, and I will not let this continue to occur. I don't want another stupid Supreme Court case, but this is getting ridiculous, and if it requires one to get things moving, then I am all for it.

Mr. Kenobi, you have 24 hours to move your pieces of frivolous legislation, which currently hinder the progress of this legislature, putting them back at the end of the queue or deleting them all together.

I ask the Speaker to open more slots for legislation so we can get the ball rolling there, also.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 11:29:43 PM »

Well, we've had a week off. Now, it's time to get to work.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 01:35:24 AM »

Actually, Governor Never Again expressed his concerns about activity to me in a PM.

Many Atlasians are students. I don't see why we can't accommodate students with a week off during examinations.

Ben, if this is a problem that is affecting you, then I'd suggest taking a leave of absence. It's ludicris to assume that we should end all work because of the possibility that some one has tests on a week that many, including myself, are on spring break.

My "concerns", were more a call to action, than anything else.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 03:07:49 AM »

Nev, it was your PM and you expressed concerns with the lack of participation in the Chamber of Delegates. This is the end of the term which is a very busy time for students in general. I figured the best way to address Nev's concerns is to give the students here a short recess while their exams are taking place.

Ultimately, this is a game. People have real lives too, Nev, and we should be able to accommodate them.

Atlasia isn't going anywhere. Everything will still be here when we get back.

No, we really shouldn't. My job is not to accommodate people's real life issues, it is to do my job in executing the law, as it is yours to legislate. If people need to take a breather, they can, but not at the expense of this region. I will recall, that during a period of being a "student" with tests, your Chamber was less than helpful, even going so far as to cut off debate hours before it was supposed to. But that is here nor there.

Again, are you keying on someone specific? If so, they should have the mental fortitude to state they actually have something going on and take their own self-initiative.

My PM said nothing of giving a break. Y'all have had now weeks, and we can't pass a single bill because of inactivity and confusion in our rules. Both of those things, I seek to fix in the coming days.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 02:20:00 PM »

Amendment to Article IV, Section 1 of the Southern Constitution-

I will be willing to go down, but I think this would help increase interest in running and would give the Chamber time to do things.

We barely got 6 candidates to run this time... This would only decrease activity. Elections should be competitive. We also shouldn't have a legislature that is about 10% of the population...
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 02:46:51 PM »

Amendment to Article IV, Section 1 of the Southern Constitution-

I will be willing to go down, but I think this would help increase interest in running and would give the Chamber time to do things.

We barely got 6 candidates to run this time... This would only decrease activity. Elections should be competitive. We also shouldn't have a legislature that is about 10% of the population...

I would think that by crowding the entire field with known names and incumbents would scare off potential candidates. It certainly did to me when I first came to Atlasia. I've also never been swayed by the "Huge Legislature" argument. The largest part of the game is legislating. If people want to legislate, I believe they should do so, no matter how much it takes of the population.

I wouldn't say your experience is reflective of the entire populace, certainly wasn't for me. People are welcome to run for office, but the biggest part of the game is elections, not legislating even though that's a large part. I know of no region that has ever gone above 5 legislators just due to the fact that it makes the game not fun, and would likely result in me or my successor appointing 1 or 2, and possibly more legislators to the Chamber. Working with a 7 member assembly would be much more difficult, when we cannot even get all 5 members to vote or even do anything, in our current one.

I understand the desire for inclusion, and desiring everyone to get experience, but I see nothing that currently bars individuals from running for the Chamber, or from getting elected if they run and run well. Elected Office shouldn't be given, it must be earned. That's the biggest "lesson", that I have learned in this game.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 03:51:02 PM »

I would be open to making it a public referendum.

Well, our constitution requires a referendum on any Constitutional Amendment. So it would have to...

NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 09:09:02 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2017, 09:12:55 PM by Governor NeverAgain »

Okay, so upon discussion the time of certification with Peebs, it actually does appear that Ben was correct. At the time ESCA was pre-filed, we had not been officially certified.

Official certification took place on May 15, 2017,  at 12:21:57 pm. Anything pre-filed before this date and time does not make the list until it is re-filed.

I have to agree with JTC here. Whether a result is accurate or not, and therefore affects his or her pre -filing  only matters if it would affect that delegate's election or not. In this case, it would not. If it was Dip, or a Delegate whose election was in question, who proposed legislation after the certification of supposed first results came out than it would be a different issue. Here, JTC's election was not in contention based on neither the first nor second results. Therefore his pre-filing of legislation should be valid.

Of course, this doesn't matter if Mr. Cuber is following under new legislation.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 09:26:50 PM »

Okay, so upon discussion the time of certification with Peebs, it actually does appear that Ben was correct. At the time ESCA was pre-filed, we had not been officially certified.

Official certification took place on May 15, 2017,  at 12:21:57 pm. Anything pre-filed before this date and time does not make the list until it is re-filed.

I have to agree with JTC here. Whether a result is accurate or not, and therefore affects his or her pre -filing  only matters if it would affect that delegate's election or not. In this case, it would not. If it was Dip, or a Delegate whose election was in question, who proposed legislation after the certification of supposed first results came out than it would be a different issue. Here, JTC's election was not in contention based on neither the first nor second results. Therefore his pre-filing of legislation should be valid.

Actually, upon discussion with Peebs, that is incorrect. She herself clarified that whether or not a delegate's election changes, the final certification is the only one that matters. The first one is not official, and cannot be used.

That seems open to a lot of variables, on the part of the Southern Regional Elections Secretary. I think that the Act should be most definitely revised so we do not have these instances occur again. I will, of course, abide by it, but the problem and precedent that sits here is dangerous. For example, let's say a similar situation occurs in 2 months and a legislator, who is re-elected acts upon an "official result" by the SRES that has seemingly elected them. Only until the SRES publishes an "official" result can the Chamber flow. I would second the amendment to the Chamber Rules (with an addition that no member can pre-file within the first 24-hours of a Chamber election), only after we amend the Regional Elections Department Act to state that any mistakes or changes to the results of any election must be done within 24 hours, or the most recent result will be the official one.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 10:40:06 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2017, 10:44:49 PM by Governor NeverAgain »

I'll put this here, I introduced something to the Feds of whom I think may get to it sooner, but in the case they do not, I thought that we could look at this also.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies