Are you pleased with Hamilton's banning? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 10:06:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Are you pleased with Hamilton's banning? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ....
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 69

Author Topic: Are you pleased with Hamilton's banning?  (Read 9341 times)
useful idiot
YaBB God

« on: January 14, 2010, 12:16:18 AM »

No I'm not at all. He wasn't a troll, the moderators just decided they didn't like him. The clique-ish behavior of most of the posters here is pretty ridiculous. Having positions you dislike or choosing to express them in a way that doesn't really violate any concrete rules doesn't mean someone is a troll. Even if he called someone an idiot in the midst of a discussion, that doesn't count as trolling, and calling it a personal attack is a stretch. A lot of what he wrote was satirical or an attempt to stir the pot, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Unfortunately the mods around here are the posters least able to grasp humor that doesn't line up with their point of view. Once they labeled him a troll, every post he made was regarded as trollish. There was no way for him to defend himself without digging a deeper hole with people he was never going to catch a break from.

You're the definition of a troll. You spam, create ridiculous threads, and your early behavior should have gotten you banned within being here a few days.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 12:30:33 AM »

No I'm not at all. He wasn't a troll, the moderators just decided they didn't like him. The clique-ish behavior of most of the posters here is pretty ridiculous. Having positions you dislike or choosing to express them in a way that doesn't really violate any concrete rules doesn't mean someone is a troll. Even if he called someone an idiot in the midst of a discussion, that doesn't count as trolling, and calling it a personal attack is a stretch. A lot of what he wrote was satirical or an attempt to stir the pot, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Unfortunately the mods around here are the posters least able to grasp humor that doesn't line up with their point of view. Once they labeled him a troll, every post he made was regarded as trollish. There was no way for him to defend himself without digging a deeper hole with people he was never going to catch a break from.

You're the definition of a troll. You spam, create ridiculous threads, and your early behavior should have gotten you banned within being here a few days.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.  I honestly don't intend that to seem patronizing, but your post and the full story (which most people don't know) really don't have much in common.

Given the fact that you have so much knowledge that I don't, how would you expect me to think differently? All I can know is what I've read from his posts. Apparently there was an issue with him abusing the reporting system, and obviously I can't speak to that. What I do know is that often he would post things that were not at all outside the bounds of what is acceptable and people would jump on him immediately. Of course most people wouldn't provide any hard evidence when continuously rambling about his apparently unspeakable and evil behavior. They had a view of him, and they would pick apart any little thing he said in order to make him fit that view.

Given the fact that quite a few other posters also feel that he shouldn't have been banned, the case either isn't as clear cut as you make it out to be, or he did things that only a few people would know about.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 02:20:09 AM »

Where do I begin? You are horribly ill-informed, so I don't want to seem like I am patronizing you either, but that is not what was going on at all. Most of the posts in which Hamilton spammed and attacked were deleted, so of course you didn't see them. He would routinely engage in character assassinations, personal attacks, questioning some kids' sexuality in a thread about him losing a friends, etc, etc, etc... the list goes on. He was given so, so many chances to change, and each time, he just did the opposite. Of course he was trying to get banned, and it was a joke how long it took this forum to get rid of him.

In regards to people upset with his banning, he had a loyal following of other spammers, trolls and the like, which backed him up in every thread where it was necessary, engaging in the same tactics he did, but with less vitriol. Even now, he is instructing one of his followers to do as he says. He's a guy that preys on kids that are looking for someone to tell them what to do, and kids with low self-esteem. That is his game. Things he did were not in the bounds of forum rules. Maybe what you saw were, but much of what he actually posted was deleted.

Like I said before, I don't know what I don't see. If his offenses were deleted, then obviously I wouldn't know what they are. From what I saw, it was unwarranted, but if the mods and Dave want him banned then that's the way it goes. As was said earlier, this isn't a democracy.

I don't really know if cutie 15, dallasfan65, Eraserhead, Mint, Giovanni, and Mechaman are really "spammers" or "trolls", and they've said they disagreed with it on this thread. Of course they could have missed the bad things Hamilton did if they were deleted, or maybe they didn't feel that even those things were bad enough to warrant his banning. In any event, Hamilton is gone, and this is pretty much over with.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 02:35:11 AM »

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.  I honestly don't intend that to seem patronizing, but your post and the full story (which most people don't know) really don't have much in common.

Given the fact that you have so much knowledge that I don't, how would you expect me to think differently? All I can know is what I've read from his posts. Apparently there was an issue with him abusing the reporting system, and obviously I can't speak to that. What I do know is that often he would post things that were not at all outside the bounds of what is acceptable and people would jump on him immediately. Of course most people wouldn't provide any hard evidence when continuously rambling about his apparently unspeakable and evil behavior. They had a view of him, and they would pick apart any little thing he said in order to make him fit that view.

Given the fact that quite a few other posters also feel that he shouldn't have been banned, the case either isn't as clear cut as you make it out to be, or he did things that only a few people would know about.

There's a good chance you missed his really bad posts because they all got deleted. I actually was wondering what was the big deal with him myself and didn't really pay attention to him until he started his extremely creepy obsession with me which came out of nowhere. I remember him personally attacking you as well. Also keep in mind one of the reasons for this was his abuse of the reporting system, where he would just endlessly report non-offensive posts from people he didn't like. Not to mention his faux outrage and clear spam about the name "n" on The Atlas thread. It's deleted now of course.

Also I'm reading your posts paraphrased as roughly "He wasn't trolling, he was just saying stupid things to piss people off and get a reaction." Duh, that's exactly what trolling is! What's the difference between trolling and "stirring the pot"? Furthermore when the mods confronted him about it, he didn't even really deny it, his only defense was basically "Well so-and-so is just as bad."

*reads up thread* oh wow, DUKE actually basically said just what I did! When Duke thinks someone like that (basically the same archetype as him, douchey frat boy) is bad and needs to be banned, that's saying something...

I understand I probably missed whatever it was that resulted in this. As for the "stirring the pot" comment, I think that and trolling are different. Stirring the pot doesn't imply that someone is trying to piss someone else off. It just means you make a statement in order to provoke a reaction, not necessarily a bad one. It can be either satirical or a statement or post that merely extends what you believe to an extreme. Trolling is an attempt to piss people off, either by making PERSONAL attacks(I don't think calling someone a moron counts as personal), creating stupid pointless threads and posts that contribute nothing, using the forum to advertise something, or being generally offensive(racist, sexist, etc). I didn't see that from Hamilton, but it could have happened.

Actually out of most of the people here, I trust your judgment so I'll stay out of this from now on.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies