Candidates and Religion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 04:11:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Candidates and Religion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Candidates and Religion  (Read 21767 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« on: December 27, 2003, 05:30:32 PM »

Dean is just pandering to try to get votes in the south.
This is no different from how George Bush has used religion to gain political momentum.

Hey guys.  It's been a while but I am back.  As for this quote, it is different because Bush made his faith a part of what he was about in the begining.  Dean siad that he was tired of elections in the South being about "God, Guns and Gays".  Dean is clearly pandering.  If his faith is important to him, why only talk about it in the South?  Why not talk about it else where?  When Bush talks about faith, it's any time, anywhere and for whatever reason.  It is a part of him, so its beleivible.  I just think its halarious how you people (by all means not all Democrats) continue to support the guy inspite of the fact that he makes outragous statments all of the time and then refuses to stick by them when he is called on them.  The man cannot make-up his mind, one way or the other.  When Dean makes a statement that religion will not be a part of his campaign and then goes back on it 2 weeks later, what does that say about him?  What does that say about his supporters?
It says that you guys are motivated by pure rage and that the Democrat base, deep down, just wants a candidate that is the most anti-Bush.  If this wasn't the case than Liebermann or Edwards or even Gephart would be the big name.  Not Dean.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2003, 10:14:13 PM »

For me, religion only matters so far to the point of does the candidate have a religios/spiritual code that he follows.  I have to admit, I would be very uncomfortible with an athiest as president.  As long as the candidate has a religious/moral view that is somewhat compatible with my views, whether the candidate be Catholic (which I am), Protestant, Jewish or even Muslim, then I am perfectly comfortible.  If, however, the candidate is an athiest or agnostic or has no spiritual/moral compass from which to go, I would be less comfortible because I have no way of knowing where they are coming from on that particular avenue.  Just my thoughts.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2003, 03:45:16 PM »

religion is an issue and ties in with a lot of issues of faith and morality.

A few quick examples-- prayer in school; abortion; displaying 10 commandments, etc etc

Shouldnt the election be on the issues rather then religion

Agreed.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2003, 03:50:39 PM »
« Edited: December 31, 2003, 04:00:14 PM by supersoulty »

Amen!  well said.  No where is ther seperation of church and state int eh Const.  It was first referenced in an obscure letter by Jefferson and latched onto by the courts.

Again are you sure you are dem?  that is a very GOP position.  

You must be logged in to read this quote.
I firmly agree with the statements regarding the spread of secularism/humanism. They are trying to suppress the Religious doctrine of others and also, Could you tell me where in the Constitution does it say "Separation of Church and State?"  I argue that it doesn't even exist. What the Founding Fathers were inferring was that we were not going to be like England where there is a State Anlican Church, headed by the Monarch. That's what it meant, "no state sanctioned religion." It also did not mean that people didn't have to follow a Religion, or Anti-Religious. The Founding Fathers should have expressed themselves more clearly. However, the language of the day and lifestyles change. But GOD'S WORD shall never perish.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Yes, I am a DEM. Remember though, a Conservative Democrat, swinging only slightly left on the spectrum toward the center. There is no mention of separation of Church and State. The Constitution has been misinterpreted from the beginning, or at least since the deaths of the Founding Fathers, when they could no longer be called upon to inerpret what they really meant on this or that.

Right on brother (Christopher Micheal)!  I knew that I liked you from the begining, your one of the good ones.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2003, 03:54:41 PM »

religion is an issue and ties in with a lot of issues of faith and morality.

A few quick examples-- prayer in school; abortion; displaying 10 commandments, etc etc

Shouldnt the election be on the issues rather then religion

Agreed.
Who do you agree with, Salty?

Sorry.  Jravnsbo, of course.  And it's Soulty.  Please, don't call me Salty, I hate it when people do that.  No harm done, just saying is all.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies