Governors Vulnerability Rankings From The Washington Post (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 06:16:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Governors Vulnerability Rankings From The Washington Post (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Governors Vulnerability Rankings From The Washington Post  (Read 8184 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: January 16, 2006, 10:10:36 AM »

Seems like a pretty reasonable list to me.

It clearly indicates that at least at the Governor's level, the Democrats are highly likey to make significant gains.

Oh, and BTW, if the New York Republican party nominates weirdo Weld, the Conservative party will have their own nominee, and Weld will lose by a massive margin.

It's New York in 2006. A typical Republican from the national party is toast.
Actually I don't think the Reps can hold that one, typical Rep or untypical Rep, Conservative Party nominee or no. (And yes, if Weld's the nominee the Conservative Party will certainly at least look at having its own candidate.)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 10:23:26 AM »

He is pro-Abortion.
He supports 'gay marriage.'

All those mean is that he might be sane.

You think some crazy Operation Rescue terrorist is going to win in NY?
He didn't say that. All he said was nominating Weld instead of someone more Conservative wouldn't increase the Republicans' chances, partly due to vote splitting.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 11:10:45 AM »

What happened in 1990 apart from Mario Cuomo's reelection?
1970 - was that Buckley? I always wondered how that happened exactly.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 07:33:34 AM »

What happened in 1990 apart from Mario Cuomo's reelection?
1970 - was that Buckley? I always wondered how that happened exactly.

In 1990, for example, Herbert London, running as a Conservative, had nearly as many votes as the Republican nominee for governor, Pierre Rinfret. Mr. Cuomo, then the governor, was re-elected that year with 2.2 million votes on the Democratic and Liberal lines, to about 865,000 for Mr. Rinfret and 828,000 for Mr. London.

Thanks, very interesting. How were Rinfret's and London's strenghths distributed, anybody got data on that?

Smash, I don't think Carl's forgetting that ... he's just pointing out that a Liberal Republican's chances aren't really any better, because (in part thanks to NY's unique party system) a Republican can only win by winning over part of the Democrats without angering the Conservative base he needs to start from.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies