Best post Eisenhower Republican President? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:00:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Best post Eisenhower Republican President? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who is the best Republican President since Ike?
Richard Nixon (1969-1974)

Gerald Ford (1974-1977?

Ronald Reagan (1981-1989)

George H.W. Bush (1989-1993)

George W. Bush (2001-2009)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 89

Author Topic: Best post Eisenhower Republican President?  (Read 4170 times)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« on: January 04, 2014, 07:03:11 AM »

Dear Lord, people... The only thing worse than a left-winger defending Nixon is a left-winger defending Reagan.

Nixon could have been disastrous, but he was restrained by a Democratic Congress. I'm not a fan of the man himself and I do think he was horribly corrupt (and should have been put on trial post-resignation). I have a personal disgust with that. I also think his command of the Vietnam War was criminal and I vehemently disagree with his veto of the War Powers Resolution.

However, with that said, there were important steps made during his Administration on the foreign policy front. Domestically, I think he was most definitely a moderate during his time. Some of our best environmental laws came about during the Nixon Administration. He also had a constructive answer to dealing with the healthcare situation in this country. I would've been strongly on Ted Kennedy's side at the time, but I'd easily embrace Nixon's healthcare plan now. His proposal even federalized Medicaid, which only few on the left seem to talk about today.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 09:26:43 AM »

This Nixon fetishization is off the chain. Wake up, Sheeple. I wonder if the campus library has "Nixonland"...

I'm not one of those that considers him one of the worst Presidents due to corruption (and I'm one to think he should be tried and convicted for said actions). If we're going to pick and choose like that, most Presidents would be disqualified almost immediately. I choose to judge him on the merits as a whole. He wasn't great, but he wasn't terrible either. Nixon was far more pragmatic than ideological, which is an admirable quality in the opposing party. I can under why you, a Republican, may not find that as admirable as Democrats do.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies