The OFFICIAL 2014 Winter Olympics Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 11:25:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The OFFICIAL 2014 Winter Olympics Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: The OFFICIAL 2014 Winter Olympics Thread  (Read 28582 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: February 08, 2014, 10:17:10 PM »

Do the team figure skating scores reset for the finals, or do they carry through?  If it's the latter, the US is probably out of contention for anything better than bronze...

Just checked, and they carry thru.  At this point Russia is guaranteed at least a silver, Canada is the only other team that can win gold, and the US, Italy, and Japan are all fighting for bronze with a theoretical chance of silver.  Whoever designed the scoring system was stupid.  It all but eliminates any chance for drama.  At the very least, the free skate programs should have been scored 10-8-6-4-2 instead of 10-9-8-7-6 if they weren't going to simply add together the raw scores from each event.  With that simple change, even tho the situation would still be heavily in favor of Russia getting the gold, Canada the silver, and the US leading Italy in the race for bronze, even Japan would theoretically still have a shot at gold right now with three events left to go of the eight.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2014, 03:42:25 AM »

Woohoo !

First Gold Medal by Matthias Mayer in the Alpine Downhill !

http://kurier.at/thema/olympia2014/matthias-mayer-abfahrts-olympiasieger/50.513.684
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2014, 12:27:16 PM »

Canada wins a fourth medal, winning silver in the Figure Skating team competition. USA wins bronze, Russia wins gold.

In Slopestyle snowboarding, Spencer Cooper who was favoured to medal finishes last Sad
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2014, 03:18:37 PM »

This would have been the standing if they had just added up everyone's scores instead of the 10-9-8-etc. on the team figure skating:

866.63    Russia
814.28    Canada
784.31    United States
701.46    Japan
695.82    Italy
261.98    France
258.99    China
250.63    Germany
209.48    Ukraine
205.12    Great Britain

Japan and Italy would have flipped.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2014, 11:45:29 AM »

Another gold for Canada, we now lead the medal table (sorted by gold) Smiley

However, our men's curling team is doing terrible. They barely got by Germany this morning, and aren't looking very good against Switzerland.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2014, 11:48:55 AM »

Wow, all 3 medals to the Dutch in ice speed skating.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2014, 11:54:46 AM »

I wonder how many of those 100,000. condoms remain  unused?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2014, 11:57:33 AM »

And the big story today is a russian skater almost showing some sideboob.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2014, 12:01:15 PM »

And the big story today is a russian skater almost showing some sideboob.

The Ruskies can't get anything right. Sad
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: February 10, 2014, 12:29:52 PM »

A surprisingly even medal table with about 1/5 completed.

And the "usual suspects" are out in front ... Wink
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2014, 12:31:47 PM »

Tomorrow, we are all Austrian ski-jump fans !

Daniela Iraschko-Stolz (openly lesbian) might win the Gold medal in highly homophobic Russia.

Until Sunday, she dominated the training jumps but Sara Takanashi (JAP) is still very tough to beat.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2014, 02:24:43 PM »

Canada wins another gold & silver in moguls, this time in the men's. We nearly swept the medals, as our third skiier finished 4th.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #112 on: February 10, 2014, 07:40:34 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sochi-olympics-whats-behind-the-empty-seats-at-the-2014-winter-games/

Empty Seats abound in Sochi, with many venues three-quarters empty or worse.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2014, 08:51:41 PM »

The fans that did show up to the curling events aren't very knowledgeable. Cheering for bad shots that "look good" by the Russian team. When the men's team lost, you could almost hear the collective "wait... is the game over.... why are they shaking hands... did we win or lose?" Of course, even in Vancouver the fans weren't knowledgeable. 
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2014, 10:08:02 PM »

The fans that did show up to the curling events aren't very knowledgeable. Cheering for bad shots that "look good" by the Russian team. When the men's team lost, you could almost hear the collective "wait... is the game over.... why are they shaking hands... did we win or lose?" Of course, even in Vancouver the fans weren't knowledgeable. 

Quebec TV noticed that, but said it was worst in Torino (people booed when people "missed" the last shot in order to draw and not give the last stone to the opposing them there).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2014, 10:57:17 PM »

Quebec TV noticed that, but said it was worst in Torino (people booed when people "missed" the last shot in order to draw and not give the last stone to the opposing them there).

You mean when a team throws their last rock through to maintain last rock advantage if the most they could get is 1 point? I can see why a n00b wouldn't understand that. But I remember from the Torino games that the Italians loved the curling, because it reminded them of Bocce.

Anyways, who's doing the Quebec curling coverage? Guy Hemmings? He's awesome!

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2014, 11:16:24 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2014, 11:20:23 PM by shua »

This would have been the standing if they had just added up everyone's scores instead of the 10-9-8-etc. on the team figure skating:

866.63    Russia
814.28    Canada
784.31    United States
701.46    Japan
695.82    Italy
261.98    France
258.99    China
250.63    Germany
209.48    Ukraine
205.12    Great Britain

Thanks, I was wondering about that. I really enjoyed the team figure skating but I found the scoring odd - I guess they do it that way because some of the events have different maximum scores Huh - actually, I'm not sure there are maximum scores
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #117 on: February 10, 2014, 11:34:54 PM »

866.63    Russia
814.28    Canada
784.31    United States
701.46    Japan
695.82    Italy
261.98    France
258.99    China
250.63    Germany
209.48    Ukraine
205.12    Great Britain

Thanks, I was wondering about that. I really enjoyed the team figure skating but I found the scoring odd - I guess they do it that way because some of the events have different maximum scores Huh - actually, I'm not sure there are maximum scores

Had they gone with my idea of scoring the finals 10-8-6-4-2 the results would have been:

1-73    Russia
2-58    Canada
3-53    USA
4-41      Italy
5-38    Japan

No effect on the final outcome, but Team USA would still have had an theoretical chance of silver going into the final event if they came in first and the Canadians flubbed and came in fifth.  If nothing else, it would have added more drama to the event. (Not that ice skating needs drama to get eyeballs, but the principle is there.)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #118 on: February 11, 2014, 01:35:44 AM »

Snowboarders are in a tizzy, apparently temperatures in the 60s are wreaking havoc on what was an iffy halfpipe venue to begin with

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/snowboarders-want-sochi-halfpipe-event-postponed--pipe-cutter-blames-tv--conditions-183637062.html
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #119 on: February 11, 2014, 05:00:16 AM »

'Iffy' is generous. If Torah Bright is actually saying anything negative about anything ever, you know it's really, really, really bad.

Anna Segal has just come 4th in the women's ski slopestyle Sad
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #120 on: February 11, 2014, 06:19:26 AM »

Apparently, acrobatic skiing is the new Canadian national sport, we won 6 of our 9 medals there (2 in men's moguls, 2 in women's moguls and 2 in women's slopestyle). (The three others are figure skating, speed staking and snowboard).

You mean when a team throws their last rock through to maintain last rock advantage if the most they could get is 1 point? I can see why a n00b wouldn't understand that. But I remember from the Torino games that the Italians loved the curling, because it reminded them of Bocce.

Anyways, who's doing the Quebec curling coverage? Guy Hemmings? He's awesome!

Yes, I'm meaning that, Herbie. I understand it's confusing (myself being a confused person at first). But, like in Torino, the crowd knowledge will be much better deeper in the event.

And, yes, it's Guy Hemmings. He is barely known in Quebec, so, I'm very surprised you know him. It's his former curling career? He is retired now, he is a full time teacher, apparently.

Radio-Canada is having duet covarage (CBC probably do the same). Guy Hemmings is the analyst, Justine Boutet is the host (the one doing more general comment). She is a former tennis university player, but is now a sports journalist (and the one usually covering curling news).
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #121 on: February 11, 2014, 06:34:47 AM »

I enjoyed the final of the men's Moguls last night. The Canadian gold medal was well-deserved.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #122 on: February 11, 2014, 08:55:44 AM »

To my great surprise the Canadian men's curling team is struggling a lot; after a narrow victory over the Germans they lost to both the Swiss and the Swedes. There is no doubt that they have the skills and the potential to win all the remaining games but it's going to be tough.
The Canadian women's team, on the other hand, is playing extremely well. The Swiss ladies haven't played their best so far but all that matters are the two wins they managed to secure.
Unfortunately for the Americans both US teams are looking pretty weak.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #123 on: February 11, 2014, 11:00:15 AM »

If Canada doesn't get gold in men's and women's curling and hockey, I will be ashamed.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: February 11, 2014, 12:22:07 PM »

If Daniela Iraschko-Stolz wins the Ski Jump tonight, we would pull ahead of Russia in the medal table.

But not ahead of the US and Germany, because Shaun White and Natalie Geisenberger will win Gold medals in the next hours.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies