Obama campaign uses down syndrome woman to attack Romney
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:05:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Obama campaign uses down syndrome woman to attack Romney
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Obama campaign uses down syndrome woman to attack Romney  (Read 3476 times)
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2012, 10:30:37 AM »

The only thing Obama is good at is campaigning, and turning the United States into Divided States of America.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2012, 10:34:51 AM »

The only thing Obama is good at is campaigning, and turning the United States into Divided States of America.

I love a poster with wit.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2012, 10:44:45 AM »

FFS people.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2012, 11:56:46 AM »

This at the very least, plays into preexisting conceptions. The left in America is already associated more heavily with eugenics (which is interesting because it tends to be the right in most nations) and has a lot more irreligious types who are relatively hostile towards the mentally disabled. Although hardly representative of the whole movement/party, there are still a lot of them, especially in the upper-classes - as shown by the whole Trig attacks.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2012, 12:14:11 PM »

This at the very least, plays into preexisting conceptions. The left in America is already associated more heavily with eugenics (which is interesting because it tends to be the right in most nations) and has a lot more irreligious types who are relatively hostile towards the mentally disabled. Although hardly representative of the whole movement/party, there are still a lot of them, especially in the upper-classes - as shown by the whole Trig attacks.

Uh no, it's the Right in America who cheer the notion of people without access to health care (which would include mental care) dying in the streets. It was Republican Governor Ronald Reagan who oversaw the closing of a lot of mental hospitals here in California.

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2012, 12:17:13 PM »

The double-standard on this board is almost amusing.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2012, 12:23:38 PM »

Uh no, it's the Right in America who cheer the notion of people without access to health care (which would include mental care) dying in the streets. It was Republican Governor Ronald Reagan who oversaw the closing of a lot of mental hospitals here in California.

I enjoy this red herring. The potentially negative implications of right-wing health policy has nothing to do with the fact that culturally, the pro-eugenics, hostile to mentally-disabled crowd of Americans generally congregates on the Left. And I'm not saying that they're representative at all - it's probably their irreligion that drives them to the Democrats. But they can be loud - because they often tend to be wealthy (see: Bill Maher).
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2012, 07:31:17 AM »
« Edited: October 03, 2012, 10:22:32 AM by Politico »

True. It is increasingly difficult to find atheists in the Republican Party, but it is increasingly easy to find atheists in the Democratic Party.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2012, 09:40:15 AM »

It is increasingly difficult to find atheists in the Republican Party, but it is increasingly easier to find atheists in the Democratic Party.

What do you expect? When a major Republican politician can get applause for warning that the US could become "a secular atheist country, potentially one dominated by radical Islamists" it doesn't exactly make atheists feel like we're welcome in the GOP camp. The Republican party tendency to reject science to pander to the religious also doesn't tend to gain our favor.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2012, 10:18:58 AM »
« Edited: October 03, 2012, 10:21:54 AM by Politico »

As the old saying goes, "there are no atheists in foxholes."

In our secure society, being an atheist is something that one should probably keep to them self unless they are willing to bear some rough consequences. I mean, with the exception of breaking certain laws, being a self-proclaimed atheist is the most likely way of being cast as a social pariah. At least in America, anyway. Then again, some people secretly enjoy being social pariahs...
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2012, 10:27:31 AM »

'Secure society'?  What're you getting at here? American society is precisely a society of complete insecurity - living from paycheck to paycheck with no social safety net and unemployment looming.

being an atheist is something that one should probably keep to them self unless they are willing to bear some rough consequences. I mean, with the exception of breaking certain laws, being a self-proclaimed atheist is the most likely way of being cast as a social pariah. At least in America, anyway. Then again, some people secretly enjoy being social pariahs...

Really?  I've always been an open atheist and everyone around me assumed I was and expected me to be one.  You must live in some setting surrounded by the uneducated.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2012, 10:42:30 AM »
« Edited: October 03, 2012, 11:42:52 AM by Politico »

'Secure society'?  What're you getting at here? American society is precisely a society of complete insecurity - living from paycheck to paycheck with no social safety net and unemployment looming.

being an atheist is something that one should probably keep to them self unless they are willing to bear some rough consequences. I mean, with the exception of breaking certain laws, being a self-proclaimed atheist is the most likely way of being cast as a social pariah. At least in America, anyway. Then again, some people secretly enjoy being social pariahs...

Really?  I've always been an open atheist and everyone around me assumed I was and expected me to be one.  You must live in some setting surrounded by the uneducated.

We can't all be The Opebo.

My closest ties are to NH/MA and CA/NV. Even if I were an atheist, which I am not, I would never admit it in public. A lot of otherwise good, reasonable people, even in the more "secular" states, look down on atheists with disdain. Some are more subtle about it than others.

I say all of this just so younger posters on here are aware of the potential consequences of being open about their current (maybe temporary/maybe lifelong) atheism.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2012, 10:44:49 AM »

An blatantly false saying made by ignorant people who probably didn't even know any atheists.

http://militaryatheists.org/atheists-in-foxholes/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I have already expressed awareness that the Republicans are particularly intolerant and bigoted against us. Do you have a point or are you just rambling off random things that don't help your case in any way?

Also, I'd say I'm far better off being openly atheist in the US than I would be if I was openly atheist in a number of other countries.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2012, 10:46:20 AM »

An blatantly false saying made by ignorant people who probably didn't even know any atheists.

http://militaryatheists.org/atheists-in-foxholes/

I have already expressed awareness that the Republicans are particularly intolerant and bigoted against us. Do you have a point or are you just rambling off random things that don't help your case in any way?

Fair enough.

Absolutely.

I am not making a normative statement about the situation. I am simply stating how things are from my vantage point.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2012, 10:49:37 AM »

So that explains why the GOP has become the party of warmongers.  They want the country at war so as to promote religion.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2012, 12:16:51 PM »

I don't really have a problem with atheism. I obviously do not. That would be ridiculous for many reasons. But it seems to be me that the common system of morality in the United States is tied extremely closely to religion. And when you take religion away from Americans...well, what do they have left?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2012, 12:19:55 PM »

I don't really have a problem with atheism. I obviously do not. That would be ridiculous for many reasons. But it seems to be me that the common system of morality in the United States is tied extremely closely to religion. And when you take religion away from Americans...well, what do they have left?

Their guns?
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2012, 12:26:32 PM »

Their guns?

10/10 Joke.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2012, 12:29:37 PM »

A lot of otherwise good, reasonable people, even in the more "secular" states, look down on atheists with disdain. Some are more subtle about it than others.

I say all of this just so younger posters on here are aware of the potential consequences of being open about their current (maybe temporary/maybe lifelong) atheism.

I've never encountered that.  Are you old?  Or perhaps you work in some kind of profession dominated by lunkheads. In academia I can tell you atheism is normal. 

That said, I'm about 7 years out of date - it having been that long since I was last trapped in the Bad Place.  Maybe it has changed (there were already plenty such bigots around when I was there, they were just beneath me).
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2012, 12:52:50 PM »
« Edited: October 03, 2012, 12:54:54 PM by Politico »

A lot of otherwise good, reasonable people, even in the more "secular" states, look down on atheists with disdain. Some are more subtle about it than others.

I've never encountered that.  Are you old?  Or perhaps you work in some kind of profession dominated by lunkheads. In academia I can tell you atheism is normal.  

Absolutely, but academia is the exception to the rule. Start talking about atheism with ordinary people outside of a college setting, even in many places in liberal cities like Boston or Los Angeles, and you're not likely to get a warm reception.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2012, 12:56:42 PM »

I've never encountered that.  Are you old?  Or perhaps you work in some kind of profession dominated by lunkheads. In academia I can tell you atheism is normal.  

Absolutely, but academia is the exception to the rule. Start talking about atheism with ordinary people outside of a university setting, even in many places in Boston or Los Angeles, and you're not likely to get a great reception.

Absolutely to what?  You're an old, or that you work in some kind of profession dominated by lunkheads?

Anyway I should note that I never talk about it - after all it is a silly topic, and talking about it implies you take seriously the sort of simpleton who would engage in religious belief.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2012, 03:49:40 PM »
« Edited: October 03, 2012, 03:51:32 PM by Nathan »

I've never encountered that.  Are you old?  Or perhaps you work in some kind of profession dominated by lunkheads. In academia I can tell you atheism is normal. 

Absolutely, but academia is the exception to the rule. Start talking about atheism with ordinary people outside of a university setting, even in many places in Boston or Los Angeles, and you're not likely to get a great reception.

Absolutely to what?  You're an old, or that you work in some kind of profession dominated by lunkheads?

Anyway I should note that I never talk about it - after all it is a silly topic, and talking about it implies you take seriously the sort of simpleton who would engage in religious belief.

Oh, not to worry, opebo. Even if you did start talking about it, responding implies you take seriously the sort of sneering killjoy who calls people 'simpletons' for 'engaging in religious belief'.

____

What koenkai says about people with somewhat misfortune crypto-eugenicist beliefs often congregating in certain leftist circles in this country is entirely correct, more's the pity, although I note that the one of these types (albeit only regarding a specific mental state, not abnormal mental states in general) currently running for Senate is a Republican.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2012, 04:37:57 PM »

Exposing a down syndrome woman is despicable and pretty low for the Obama campaign.  When Sarah Palin was against abortion of her daughter Trig, alot of Liberals lambasted her for a choice.  I find that hypocritical and desperate.

Are you f-cking serious? Do you think people with Down's Syndrome don't have opinions and don't want to be heard? You want them in a little bubble so they are 'protected'? She is a woman with opinions and she can voice them in an advert if she wants. It's her choice.

Moron.
They have opinions, but to use them for political gain is disgusting.  I have nothing against against programs that help the disabled or people with down syndrome.  Do you expect them to make rational reasoning or critical thinking when it comes to politics?  No

Give me a break, take back your moron comment.

I beg your pardon? Do you realise how offensive what you just wrote is?

Speaking as someone that actually is disabled, do you realize how offensive it can be to use it politically.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2012, 04:43:55 PM »

I take it you haven't seen your guys current campaign strategy...
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2012, 04:55:38 PM »

Exposing a down syndrome woman is despicable and pretty low for the Obama campaign.  When Sarah Palin was against abortion of her daughter Trig, alot of Liberals lambasted her for a choice.  I find that hypocritical and desperate.

Are you f-cking serious? Do you think people with Down's Syndrome don't have opinions and don't want to be heard? You want them in a little bubble so they are 'protected'? She is a woman with opinions and she can voice them in an advert if she wants. It's her choice.

Moron.
They have opinions, but to use them for political gain is disgusting.  I have nothing against against programs that help the disabled or people with down syndrome.  Do you expect them to make rational reasoning or critical thinking when it comes to politics?  No

Give me a break, take back your moron comment.

I beg your pardon? Do you realise how offensive what you just wrote is?

Speaking as someone that actually is disabled, do you realize how offensive it can be to use it politically.

Speaking as someone else who is disabled, what you said was disgusting, so stop trying to change the subject.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies