The Combined Home State Voting Reform Amendment (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:45:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Combined Home State Voting Reform Amendment (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Combined Home State Voting Reform Amendment  (Read 8469 times)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« on: July 07, 2004, 03:33:46 PM »
« edited: July 07, 2004, 03:58:44 PM by Senator John F. Kennedy, PPT »

Ok Folks, to make things a bit simpler, I have combined the Beet Voting Reform Act (Amendment) with the Home State Bill. This should make clearing the backlog of Bills quicker.

So, here is the Amendment:

1. All federal weekend elections will take place over the course of 72 hours encompassing the entirety of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, Forum Time.

2. If any voter will be unable to vote in a federal election during the time alotted, he or she may request to advance vote at any time between the end of the filing deadline for candidates and the beginning of the election. During this time there will be a specified, sticky thread set up for the purpose of informing forum citizens of their right to advance vote, and advance voting will also take place in this thread.

3. Provisions 1 and 2 apply to all Federal Elections taking place forthwith.

4. A registered voter may not change his or her state of residence more frequently than once in a four month period.

Now, lets get some debate going and I shall call a vote upon this combined amendment beginning some time next Friday. Hopefully around 12pm EST.

JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 04:16:15 PM »

Well. I guess I shall open the debate.

(JFK takes the Senate floor)

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Senate, I come here before you to tell you why I believe that you should vote in favour of The Combined Home State Voting Reform Amendment.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this bill, along with its three clauses grants several important reforms to the way we run elections here and I would just like to outline to you four reasons why you should vote in favour of this bill.

Ladies and Gentlemen, My four reasons are as follows:

In my first point I shall explore the Turnout Effect which ties in with the first and second clauses of this amendment.

Once I have discussed the Turnout Effect I shall move onto the Improved Representation that this amendment provides which relates mainly to the first two clauses of this amendment.

In my third point, Ladies and Gentlemen, I shall explore for you why this amendment can help prevent Voter Fraud which ties in nicely in a bundle with the fourth clause of this amendment.

And finally Ladies and Gentlemen, I will explain to you what effect this has on the Regional Rights.

So Ladies and Gentlemen, to start with I would like to examine the provisions of the Turnout Effect which this amendment will create in all federal elections. Well, for this point we really need to pay close attention to the first two clauses of the amendment. So what, you ask, is this turnout effect? This turnout effect is an increase in voters by giving the voters a bigger chance to vote. How does it create this? Well, this amendment gives people a greater chance to vote, not only by including absentee voting but by lengthening the polls by twenty-four hours. By doing this, this amendment allows people a greater window in which they may vote, as, it is possible that they will not be present over the weekend.

The conclusion of my first point leads on perfectly into my second point which regards the Improved Representation that this amendment creates.

So, what do I mean? Well, what I mean is that this will improve the representation of the public in federal positions. How does it do this? Well ladies and gentlemen, increased voter turnout leads to a better representation of public opinion as it increases the percentage of the population who come out and vote.

Increased turnout is better for elections ladies and gentlemen, as I have said, it increases the representation which the election supplies and makes elections more interesting.

So, on to my third point ladies and gentlemen regarding voter fraud which ties in strongly with the fourth clause in this amendment.

Well, how does this decrease voter fraud ladies and gentlemen? This amendment will prevent the situation of people changing states to get a friend elected before changing back immediately after the election. A serious problem ladies and gentlemen as this can skew the results of elections and creates unfair results. This sort of thing must be prevented at all costs. People constantly changing states is a threat to this democracy, not only that, but it also creates a lot of errors in voter records if everyone changes their state every few days. This sort amendment, is necessary, not only for a decrease in voter fraud, but also, to save the mental health of those poor poor people who store the voter records.

So ladies and gentlemen, on to my fourth and final point regarding Regional Rights, an issue close to the hearts of many, especially my fellow Senator StatesRights who supports the rights of individual states and regions strongly.

So, what about Regional Rights is included in this amendment? Well, clause three states that the first two provisions only apply to FEDERAL elections meaning that this amendment does NOT infringe upon the individual rights of the regions to conduct their elections in any way they wish. This is very important as it allows the regions their autonomy while allowing the Federal government to improve the way that its own elections are administered.

So ladies and gentlemen, what have I told you today?

Well, firstly I told you how this amendment will improve voter turnout making a more democratic society and invariably leading onto my second point about the improved representation of public opinion this amendment allows. For my third point I told you why this bill is necessary to prevent voter fraud and preserve the mental health of record keepers before finally moving on to explain why this amendment does not impinge upon the rights of individual regions.

It is for these four reasons ladies and gentlemen, that I beg to move.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 10:14:53 AM »

I will only accept absentee voting if there is a way to keep such votes private until the beginning of the official voting period.

We could do them by e-mail.

We could have something like a three person committee, one person from each of the major parties/areas of fantasy politics so one from the left from either the UL, AFIP or any of the other left wing parties, one from the UAC and one from the Republicans.

The e-mail would need to be sent to all three. That way we can prevent voter fraud as if someone tries to ignore a vote, there are still another two who received the vote.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 01:37:49 PM »

I will only accept absentee voting if there is a way to keep such votes private until the beginning of the official voting period.

We could do them by e-mail.

We could have something like a three person committee, one person from each of the major parties/areas of fantasy politics so one from the left from either the UL, AFIP or any of the other left wing parties, one from the UAC and one from the Republicans.

The e-mail would need to be sent to all three. That way we can prevent voter fraud as if someone tries to ignore a vote, there are still another two who received the vote.

That could work.

OK then. I would like to propose an amendment to the second clause of this Constitutional Amendment to read:

2. If any voter will be unable to vote in a federal election during the time alotted, he or she may request to advance vote at any time between the end of the filing deadline for candidates and the beginning of the election. During this time those wishing to vote absentee must send an e-mail ballot made by the Secretary of Forum Affairs to three people as part of a panel. The three must be from different parties.

Do you think we need to add in something about having to register specially to vote absentee?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 03:20:45 PM »

Perhaps instead of a new panel of three, we could simply have the ballots be sent to people who occupy an already established position in forum government.  Cabinet members perhaps.  PPT maybe.  Governors could also be in charge of this duty.  I guess it doesn't much matter just so long as three seperate individuals get the e-mailed ballots.

Yes, I strongly advise that they be from three separate parties as well to promote partisan fairness.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 06:07:06 PM »

Perhaps instead of a new panel of three, we could simply have the ballots be sent to people who occupy an already established position in forum government.  Cabinet members perhaps.  PPT maybe.  Governors could also be in charge of this duty.  I guess it doesn't much matter just so long as three seperate individuals get the e-mailed ballots.

Yes, I strongly advise that they be from three separate parties as well to promote partisan fairness.

If we're doing ballots then it has to be sent to people with contradicting interests.

Yes. My point exactly, it would have to be One Republican (or alternative right wing party), one UAC'er (or alternative centrist party) and one AFIP'er (or alternative left wing party).
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2004, 02:03:39 PM »

*bump*

Lets see a bit more debate.

Lets name and shame those Senators yet to speak:

Michael Z, Hughento and StatesRights.

Any statements from any of you? Or even any of the other Senators.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2004, 06:11:26 AM »

I suggest that if no senators have anything to add by this time tomorrow that voting on this bill be commenced.

I will start voting at 12pm EST on Tuesday or thereabouts.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2004, 09:29:01 AM »

1. All federal weekend elections will take place over the course of 72 hours encompassing the entirety of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, Forum Time.

2. If any voter will be unable to vote in a federal election during the time alotted, he or she may request to advance vote at any time between the end of the filing deadline for candidates and the beginning of the election. During this time there will be a specified, sticky thread set up for the purpose of informing forum citizens of their right to advance vote. Advanced voting will take place via e-mail. The e-mail vote must be sent to three designated people who must all be of different parties.

4. A registered voter may not change his or her state of residence more frequently than once in a four month period.

I have proposed the amendment emboldened above to make advanced voting less like just normal voting except early.

Let's hear what people's opinions on this are.

I will call a vote on the amendment either later today or tomorrow.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2004, 03:24:43 PM »

The bill still needs to stipulate either who those three people are or how those three people will be decided.

Good point. The question is, how would we decide these people?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2004, 06:24:04 AM »

How about the Majority Leader of the Senate, the Minority Leader of the Senate and a third member chosen by concurrence of the Majority and Minority Leaders?

We don't really have a minority leader of the Senate, nor do we really have a majority one.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2004, 01:33:03 PM »

So, should we just use the Supreme Court? Maybe with the Secretary of Forum Affairs also receiving the vote or something.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2004, 08:24:25 AM »

*bump* Could this be moved to the fantasy govt. board please?

Have we reached an agreement on the three person group. Use the Supreme Court or a selection of one from three different parties?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2004, 09:46:12 AM »

2. If any voter will be unable to vote in a federal election during the time alotted, he or she may request to advance vote at any time between the end of the filing deadline for candidates and the beginning of the election. During this time there will be a specified, sticky thread set up for the purpose of informing forum citizens of their right to advance vote. Advanced voting will take place via e-mail. The e-mail vote must be sent to the Secretary of Forum Affairs, the Attorney General and the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.

What does everyone think of the idea of sending the e-mails to the Secretary of Forum Affairs, Attorney General and the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court?

I believe at this current time that would mean sending the e-mail to:

Fritz, Mr. Fresh and Migrendel.

What do you think?

I will call a vote on this amendment tomorrow I think unless there is active debating going on.

Also, please can this be moved to the fantasy government board.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2004, 09:06:37 AM »

Well, as it has been three days.

I would like to call a vote on the amendment to the Amendment.

Please vote Yea or Nay.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2004, 02:39:58 PM »

I vote yea.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2004, 09:14:37 AM »

What is the status of this bill?

I count 5 yeas, 1 nay, and 12 days passing with no activity.

Yes that is the current status, sorry, I haven't been around the last week, been on a drama course during the week and at parties last friday and sunday so I am very sorry.

One more vote is necessary for my amendment to pass and then we will hold a vote on the fill Amended Amendment (make any sense whatsoever?)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2004, 05:51:32 AM »

With 6 Yeas the amendment has passed.

Now to commence voting on the Amendment itself.

All those in favour of the Amendment vote Yea, all opposed vote Nay, we will require 7 votes to pass this Amendment.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2004, 05:52:16 AM »

2. If any voter will be unable to vote in a federal election during the time alotted, he or she may request to advance vote at any time between the end of the filing deadline for candidates and the beginning of the election. During this time there will be a specified, sticky thread set up for the purpose of informing forum citizens of their right to advance vote. Advanced voting will take place via e-mail. The e-mail vote must be sent to the Secretary of Forum Affairs, the Attorney General and the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.

There is the Amendment for you all to review.

I vote Yea.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2004, 06:07:46 AM »

On the amendment I proposed to the overrall Amendment, if that is a vote in favour the vote stands at six votes in favour to one opposed.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2004, 01:31:52 PM »

I haven't really been following my own baby, the senatorial procedure act too well it seems, a clause states that after one week, unless an injunction is brought, those who have not voted are considered to have abstained.

This means the results of this vote are as follows, six in favour, one opposed with three abstentions. I believe that means that this passes, does it not?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2004, 02:39:28 PM »

I don't think so.  Doesn't an amendment need 7 votes to pass?

It needs a two-thirds majority, I believe it has always been done that if an abstention is voted that six votes becomes a two-thirds majority. That is how it has been conducted previously I believe.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2004, 04:59:32 PM »

If that's the case, Mr. PPT, I would suggest this be put to public poll.

Regardless of whether this becomes part of the constitution before Friday, I intend to conduct the midterm Senate elections as if it were- by having voting open for 72 hours, and honoring any request for absentee voting (I don't think there will be any).

It cannot become part of the constitution by friday so that is neither here nor there, unless any Senators have a strong objection I will put it to a public poll soon.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2004, 02:54:07 PM »

Unless there are any objections from the courts I will put this up to a public poll tomorrow.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2004, 06:48:10 AM »

As no objections have been voiced this goes to a public poll.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies