Do you support the "Electoral Reform Amendment"? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 11:15:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Do you support the "Electoral Reform Amendment"? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Undecided

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Do you support the "Electoral Reform Amendment"?  (Read 1794 times)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« on: April 23, 2015, 03:00:32 PM »

In the real world I would be all for at large elections, and in fact would probably be agitating to abolish regional seats all together. But atlasia is not the real world. We are, first and foremost, an election simulation. Having dull elections kind of defeats the purpose of the game. And the at large elections are boring.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 04:01:15 PM »

It seems a Senator will be able to hold the Register General office if the amendement about Cabinet roles passes.

And now with the Electoral Reform amendment, the RG could potentially be the person drawing districts.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If the Senator comes from a district, he/she would draw his/her own district. That this could happen is very troubling. 

I'm fairly indifferent to the cabinet obligations amendment (though if this is actually a problem for people I would far rather they vote down that than the electoral reform one) but I'm not sure this is that big a problem.

For one thing, there is nothing, in principle, stopping an officeless RG or SOFE or set of Governors or whoever else drawing a district for themselves. Whether the RG or SOFE or Governors are sitting senators at the time isn't really the point. Similarly it's possible for the RG to try to find ways of eliminating potential opponents from the register, or for an AG and a jury to purge an unpopular atlasian on trumped up charges.  That something is possible does not mean it's even likely to happen.

Even more importantly, gerrymandering is actually very difficult to pull off in atlasia. Not only would it be a major item for an opponent to campaign on practically everyone in atlasia at any given time has a free move not constrained by real life factors like a family or a mortgage, so the enterprising RG would no doubt find his perfectly drawn district swarmed by hostile voters.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies