What Should the GOP Do To Appeal To Minorities? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 02:42:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What Should the GOP Do To Appeal To Minorities? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What Should the GOP Do To Appeal To Minorities?  (Read 19692 times)
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« on: June 12, 2010, 05:59:24 PM »

It isn't really surprising. Latino voters already thought that the GOP was against them and illegals before Arizona passed this law, so why would it make a huge difference in how Latinos perceive the GOP?

No, it actually signifies something rather important.  As was previously noted here, Reagan passing Amnesty in 1986 did almost nothing for the GOP among Hispanic voters (Bush Sr. won only about 27% in 88), despite the fact that they supported it.  Now, passing a tough-on-illegals bill has also done next-to-nothing (at least for now anyway).

I think this means that what's dragging the GOP's share among Hispanics down is not the tangible immigration policies that they produce, but rather the perception that they don't care and/or are racist.

I don't think there's much actual opposition to securing the borders among Hispanics, i just think the Democrats have been successful in turning the immigration question from secure/open borders to support/hate Hispanics, in the same way they portrayed tough-on-crime policies in LA and NYC as being Anti-black.

Wow, I totally agree. Bush actually fought for the Hispanic vote, and won 44%, without which Kerry would have been victorious for sure. I've always thought that if the Republicans really tried, they could win a majority of Hispanics and perhaps even a quarter of blacks over a half dozen election cycles or so.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 05:26:24 PM »

Again, I restate, simply reach out to the communities during campaigns and while in office. Republicans don't seem to care about their votes (or at least come off that way), not even for purely political purposes.

Reach out to Spanish-speaking media, black media, make sure all campaign literature and speeches, etc. have Spanish translations, speak in front of the NAACP, etc. Even if what a Republican says may anger them (such as welfare hurting the black family), every election a few blacks will trickle over to the Republicans (thinking, "Hey, he may be right").

If the Republicans were able to win just 25% of the black vote, think of how many razor-thin Democratic Senate and House victories would have become Republican victories.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 10:18:35 PM »
« Edited: July 10, 2010, 10:21:11 PM by Vepres »

It's racist because because you said that they were voting for someone based on their race.

Some of them (let's remember about 90% of blacks vote for the democrat regardless of race) were voting just to get the first black president. If the first black nominee was Republican, I am guessing he would have got about 25-30% of the black vote.

Actually, he probably would have gotten a strong majority of the black vote if he was perceived to have a chance at victory. Remember, as soon as Obama won Iowa, at least 75% of blacks voted for him in SC, and then over 80% voted for him then on.

Which, BTW, I wouldn't look down on them for doing. The symbolism is a big deal.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies