Ben Meyers :: "Let's Chat" Question and Answer Forum
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 12:48:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Ben Meyers :: "Let's Chat" Question and Answer Forum
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ben Meyers :: "Let's Chat" Question and Answer Forum  (Read 1404 times)
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 18, 2005, 07:54:29 PM »

Hey, everyone. Smiley

I figured that I am so new that most of you know nothing about me.  So, I'm giving this opportunity for everyone from the Southeast to ask me anything.

I'm running for Senator, and I intend to represent YOU.  So, if you have any questions, please ask them.  I will answer every one, and not avoid any questions, or give you false answers.

Thanks Smiley
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 08:37:45 PM »

What are some things you think Senator Spade is doing wrong that you could improve on?
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 09:02:40 PM »

Thanks for the question.

I honestly can't point out anything wrong in his effort or his character, or his performance.  Where I differ from the good Senator is in ideology.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 09:12:30 PM »

Thanks for the question.

I honestly can't point out anything wrong in his effort or his character, or his performance.  Where I differ from the good Senator is in ideology.

I know this is probably not my place to ask, but since you said you differed from me in ideology, what do you believe ideologically? (on different issues, etc.)
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 09:23:28 PM »

I must comment that for a new person in Atlasia, you are running a very respectable campaign.  Smiley
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 09:23:35 PM »

Sure Senator, I'm glad you asked Smiley

Actually, if you want, we can have a debate, so everyone gets to compare our ideologies side by side?

Want me to set up a different post for a debate?
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 09:24:55 PM »

Thank you very much True Democrat SmileySmileySmiley
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 09:28:21 PM »

Well, I'd first like to ask that someone else (as a neutral third party) to moderate the debate and ask the questions, as I'm sure someone will be willing to do.  Then we can start a debate proper.

I was really just following up to Cosmo Kramer's question, that's all.  And I'm sure he asked it, because you are fairly new poster and a fairly new citizen to Atlasia and I'm sure the voters of the Southeast would like to know where you stand on certain things.  Lord knows I had to go through the same treatment when I first ran.
Josh
cyberlord

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 09:33:04 PM »

Lord knows I had to go through the same treatment when I first ran.

A terrible but necessary practice, that.  Harsh form of hazing - see if the newbies can hold up.  I didn't make it. Tongue
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 09:34:42 PM »

LOL, Ok Smiley

Basically, here are a few main issues and where I stand.

Abortion: Abortion should be illegal in all cases except in the cases of rape, incest, or a serious health risk to the mother.  I also support parental consent for abortions in minors.

War in Iraq: I supported the war, but I was wrong.  I believe that we should tone down troop level while simultaneously shifting power to other nations, and the Iraqis themselves.  However, I will never put a date on when we will be out of Iraq, for there is no way that I can guarantee that.

Taxes: Some people will hate me, but I support a flat tax system.  The rate will be set below the current tax rates of the lower class, so it will NOT hurt the lower class.  To make up for lost revenue, I will institute a national sales tax of 3%.  You are taxed on what you have.  The flat tax system is beneficial for many reasons.  If you want more detail, I'll be glad to provide it Smiley

Social Security: I propose optional, partial privatization.  People can only invest a certain amount of their money.  This prevents their accounts from relying on the stock market.  Also, it is totally optional.  If people want to keep their social security within the government, fine by me.

These are just a few issues.  If you would like to know more, please ask Smiley
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2005, 09:41:03 PM »

What is your opinion on education spending?
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2005, 09:44:27 PM »

Federal education spending is what I think you meant.

I think that more money spent by the federal government on education should be diverted to states, counties, and municipalities.

The thing is, there are thousands upon thousands of schools in this nation.  There are hundreds of counties.  Each school and each school district has different needs for their students.

It is difficult for the federal government to consistently assist schools all across the nation.  That is why the funds have to be articulated to give more money and power to the local school systems.

I believe that teachers, principals, students, and parents are the ones who should be running our education system, not bureaucrats.

Thanks very much for your question Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2005, 10:13:53 PM »

I must comment that for a new person in Atlasia, you are running a very respectable campaign.  Smiley

He knows what he's talking about and seems very interested in and dedicated to this race. He might be the happiest candidate since Verin, too! (Note all the Smiley  in his posts. Very nice guy.)
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2005, 10:59:17 PM »

Hey, everyone. Smiley

I figured that I am so new that most of you know nothing about me.  So, I'm giving this opportunity for everyone from the Southeast to ask me anything.

Thanks Smiley

Q: Are you aware you are running for District 4 senate and not the Southeast?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2005, 11:00:16 PM »

Hey, everyone. Smiley

Thanks Smiley

We're switching to regional senate seats.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2005, 11:03:16 PM »

Hey, everyone. Smiley

Thanks Smiley

We're switching to regional senate seats.
Sorry, I didn't get the memo.

Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2005, 02:23:13 PM »

Hey everyone Smiley

Anyone have anymore questions?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2005, 02:27:06 PM »

What do you consider your most important accomplishment?

What would you consider to be your greatest accomplishment in office.
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2005, 02:37:56 PM »

To be honest, I haven't been in office LOL.  So I can't answer your second question.  However, I can definitely answer your first question.

My most important accomplishment is serving my community.  Beginning in 2002, I have started a nonprofit organization, called Treasury of Lives, Inc.  I, along with others, travel to senior centers and interview seniors about their lives.

We have recorded over two hundred life stories.  These people have stories.  Whether they lived a simple life as a homemaker or an adventurous life, being on the Normandy Beach on D-Day, every life is important and should be forever remembered.

So, I'd have to say that my most important accomplishment is doing my part to help preserve our past.  Without our past, we can never move on to the future.

Thank you for your question Smiley

PS : I will soon be shown on the Disney Channel for this organization.  I'll let you all know when Wink
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies