Scottish National Party leadership election, 2024
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:23:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Scottish National Party leadership election, 2024
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Scottish National Party leadership election, 2024  (Read 2134 times)
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 29, 2024, 06:08:14 AM »

Caused by the resignation of Humza Yousaf.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2024, 07:21:25 AM »
« Edited: April 30, 2024, 10:54:52 AM by Torrain »

SNP NEC will meet later in the week to agree a timetable. First parliamentary endorsements already here, before either primary candidate has ruled themselves in-or-out.

John Swinney:
  • Keith Brown MSP (SNP Depute Leader)
  • Neil Gray (Health Secretary)
  • Stephen Flynn MP (Westminster Group Leader)
  • Jenny Gilruth MSP (Education Secretary)
  • Mairi McAllan MSP (Economy and Energy Secretary)
  • Maree Todd MSP (Minister for Social Care)
  • Christina McKelvie MSP (Minister for Drug & Alcohol Policy)
  • Emma Roddick MSP (Minister for Equalities)
  • Graeme Dey MSP (Minister for Veterans)
  • Rona Mackay MSP
  • Kevin Stewart MSP
  • Maree Todd MSP
  • James Dornan MSP
  • Elena Whitham MSP
  • Evelyn Tweed MSP
  • Ian Blackford MP
  • Alyn Smith MP
  • Pete Wishart MP
  • Chris Law MP
  • Drew Hendry MP
  • Amy Callaghan MP
  • Owen Thompson MP
  • Tommy Sheppard MP

Kate Forbes:
  • Fergus Ewing MSP
  • Annabelle Ewing MSP
  • Michelle Thomson MSP
  • Jim Fairlie MSP
  • David Torrance MSP
  • Ivan McKee MSP
  • Siobhan Brown MSP
  • Christine Grahame MSP
  • Joanna Cherry MP
  • Carol Monaghan MP

Nominations are now open - and will remain so until noon on Monday, May 6th.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2024, 07:32:45 AM »

Ultimately it is Swinney's if he wants it: he's a lot less divisive than Forbes or on figures on the left of the party; and everyone knows that he won't be there for a long time (although fun fact: he is a year younger than Kier Starmer!) so if the thinking is partially about shoring things up in the next General Election and 2026 Scottish elections before handing over at that point then he makes sense. Forbes is far too contentious to be coronated.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2024, 07:50:39 AM »
« Edited: April 29, 2024, 08:00:55 AM by Torrain »

I've said elsewhere that Swinney leading a cabinet with both Yousaf's inner circle, and the Forbes wing is probably the easier road to a coronation, and a return to normality. He's released a statement saying he's "seriously considering" running, but is off to go consult with his family before reaching a decision.

I don't think it's a given he runs for the permanent position, which would include helming two high-stakes elections. Swinney tried to retire from the frontbench several times, and was stopped by various crises, most latterly COVID.

His wife has advanced multiple sclerosis, and has spoken of her health anxiety during the pandemic. Given how many times he's been called upon to ride to the party's rescue, I would not blame him if he decides to let someone else take over.

He probably will stand though - on past performance.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2024, 09:51:32 AM »

In immediate post-Sturgeon polling, Swinney was 2019 SNP voters preferred choice. Personally, I wanted Swinney to run too.

His standing in the party is solid (and Forbes standing has declined; that's certainly the feeling I get from the membership)

From a media engagement perspective, he's a good choice (though they'll try anyway)

But I agree it's a personal decision if he does, not a political one.
Chickpeas
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2024, 01:47:40 PM »

Assuming he becomes leader is John Swinney going to want to lead the SNP into the 2026 Holyrood election?
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2024, 02:25:30 PM »

Assuming he becomes leader is John Swinney going to want to lead the SNP into the 2026 Holyrood election?

This is what gets me about his candidacy - Swinney will have been a frontbencher for 18 of the SNP’s 19 years in power by 2026. When he stood down from the cabinet, it looked like he might not even run for Parliament again, let alone return to cabinet.

He’s even grimly joked about wanting to leave the frontbench since 2016, but getting dragged back in to resolve various crises. He declined to run last year specifically citing his long tenure in office last time, and all the “it’s time for a new generation” stuff.  

Would we see another leadership race in/before 2026?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2024, 06:07:16 AM »

It's probable that the party has a Depute leader election before 2026 (and they don't have to be 'of Holyrood' to stand); someone who is expected to get in, in 2026 potentially Stephen Flynn. He can stand in Aberdeen but have a chance at the NE list.

That way when 2026 rolls round if the SNP find themselves out of power, they can have an ordinary leadership contest. If they find themselves in power and Swinney is done, they can maneuver the Depute into the leadership/FM role.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2024, 06:32:15 AM »
« Edited: April 30, 2024, 07:37:28 AM by Torrain »

I don’t know. "Elect the Leader, get his replacement" are very poor optics for the 2026 elections - especially given a stitch-up for the Depute to succeed him might be unsuccessful.

Running a campaign led by a tired Swinney, with the promise that he’d be gone within months and replaced by the activists’ choice, just seems like a terrible message to swing voters - and a curt dismissal of their role in choosing our First Minister.

Imagine the Tories, led by a weary Ian Duncan Smith, running an election campaign with Alicia Kearns and Suella Braverman both publicly jostling to succeed him within weeks of the election. It just doesn’t seem like the actions of a serious party.
somerandomth
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2024, 07:08:54 AM »

Imagine the Tories, led by a weary Ian Duncan Smith, running an election campaign with Alicia Kearns and Suella Braverman both publicly jostling to succeed him within weeks of the election. It just doesn’t seem like the actions of a serious party.

It certainly does seem like strange optics for elections. I wonder if it would be better to replace him after the general election and then hold a leadership election during 2025 ready for 2026? Though yet again you would then be spending another year focused on SNP internal divisions which would be bad for the SNP. It seems like they very much are between a rock and a hard place (completely their own fault though lol)

In the event of an SNP meltdown, how much of the vote do we think will go to Alba/Greens and how much to Labour? Are marginal SNP voters still strong believers in the independence cause and unwilling to go to Labour bc of it or are they more willing to stick with people potentially closer with their other policy beliefs?
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2024, 07:37:13 AM »

I wonder if it would be better to replace him after the general election and then hold a leadership election during 2025 ready for 2026?

I think going *again* in 2025 would be pretty hard to justify. Four First Ministers in one parliament just seems unthinkable, and cuts such an awful contrast with the 9 years of iron discipline that preceded it.

In the event of an SNP meltdown, how much of the vote do we think will go to Alba/Greens and how much to Labour? Are marginal SNP voters still strong believers in the independence cause and unwilling to go to Labour bc of it or are they more willing to stick with people potentially closer with their other policy beliefs?

That's the million dollar question. Labour's recovery in the polls appears (if you believe the crosstabs) to initially have been built on SNP apathy and unionist tactical defections from the Tories. They seem to be picking up more SNP votes now, (and would benefit from a comprehensive implosion), but there's 30-35% of the electorate who are off-limits to them now, due to their constitutional position.

As a general guideline Greens don't poll above an average of 10%, and Alba never break 5% - if the SNP dip below the 32-33% that seems to be their floor right now, I imagine the nationalist vote would begin to filter through to those other parties. But the SNP vote has stayed fairly loyal - even now they still lead Holyrood polling by 2-5%.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2024, 10:21:18 AM »

I think going *again* in 2025 would be pretty hard to justify. Four First Ministers in one parliament just seems unthinkable

Its a bit much, but if Swinney makes clear he *is* there for the short term only they might pull it off.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2024, 12:24:48 PM »

I don’t know. "Elect the Leader, get his replacement" are very poor optics for the 2026 elections - especially given a stitch-up for the Depute to succeed him might be unsuccessful.

Running a campaign led by a tired Swinney, with the promise that he’d be gone within months and replaced by the activists’ choice, just seems like a terrible message to swing voters - and a curt dismissal of their role in choosing our First Minister.

They aren't 'poor optics' if it's clear from the start point (i.e now) that that's going to be the case. Voters aren't stupid; they can understand arrangements of that nature in advance (a sort of reverse 2007.)
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2024, 01:05:28 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2024, 01:42:50 PM by Torrain »

They aren't 'poor optics' if it's clear from the start point (i.e now) that that's going to be the case. Voters aren't stupid; they can understand arrangements of that nature in advance (a sort of reverse 2007.)

Come on man, you're willfully missing my point. Your suggestion is that the party of government should engage in a game of musical chairs, switching constituencies and crossing their fingers in the hope that they can force the hierarchy's third favoured candidate through the third leadership race in three years.

Of course I'm not saying voters are too dumb to understand that - quite the opposite. I think they'll see right through it, for the self-indulgent circus it would be.

If you can't find a viable, long-term candidate for the leadership among your 63 MSPs, despite two decades of national dominance, there's only one party at fault...
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2024, 04:35:39 PM »

Forbes has been doing a few interviews and sounds like she will run. There’s enough wiggle room to allow her to back out last minute, but she’s clearly pushing back against a coronation, against a caretaker first minister, and talking about how much support she has in the party/country.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2024, 07:05:10 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2024, 06:01:02 AM by Torrain »

Forbes has been doing a few interviews and sounds like she will run. There’s enough wiggle room to allow her to back out last minute, but she’s clearly pushing back against a coronation, against a caretaker first minister, and talking about how much support she has in the party/country.

I go back and forth whether she’s actually gearing up to run, or trying to make her candidacy look credible so she can be bought off with a cabinet post. She and Swinney aren’t close (all reports suggest he was furious at her criticisms of the SNP’s record in the first leadership debate back in 2023), so she’d need leverage to make up for a lack of goodwill.

I note that, reversing her previous position, she voted to advance the abortion-clinic buffer-zone bill today, which was introduced by a Green MSP. As olive branches to the left go, it wasn’t particularly subtle - and does make me wonder…

It’ll all be academic shortly. She said in her Sky News interview on Tuesday afternoon that she’d announce her decision within 24 hours. So we should know whether this is a race or a coronation by Wednesday lunchtime.

Edit: Forbes allies now downplaying her previous commitment to announce a decision today, saying it's "only 48 hours since Humza Yousaf resigned". If she does run, I doubt we'll hear before today's confidence vote, in case it gets weaponised during the Holyrood debate.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2024, 03:17:01 AM »

anyhope of the snp being sent to the ash heaps of history?
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2024, 05:42:41 AM »

Polls are still showing upwards of 40% of Scots wanting independence. That's a high enough figure and it's sticky enough that you are going to have a nationalist party for the foreseeable future and there's no obvious reason why that wouldn't be the SNP.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2024, 05:46:14 AM »

Polls are still showing upwards of 40% of Scots wanting independence. That's a high enough figure and it's sticky enough that you are going to have a nationalist party for the foreseeable future and there's no obvious reason why that wouldn't be the SNP.

How much of that 40% or more the SNP get depends on the salience of the independence issue, of course.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2024, 10:39:22 AM »
« Edited: May 01, 2024, 05:07:54 PM by Torrain »

State of play:
  • Swinney and Forbes secretly met in Holyrood on Tues to try and hammer out a compromise. Confirmed by Forbes camp in last few minutes they met, but spun as "an informal chat" with no outcomes.
  • Forbes spent Wed morning making odd noises about drawing up policy, and gathering a team for "if she runs" - keeps implying she's inclined to, but may be biddable to a better offer.
  • Publicly, both candidates continue to claim they are undecided about standing. Swinney says he "will not be rushed".
  • Noon on Thurs is First Minister's Questions - opposition likely to lampoon chaos/lack of enthusiasm etc if no one has entered the ring by then.

The campaign timeline has been announced:
  • Nominations (100, from 20 party branches) close on Monday 6th of May at 5pm.
  • Leadership ballot open 13th-27th May

Assuming we don't wake up tomorrow to a joint editorial from our new designated FM and Depute FM (still a fair possibility), I'm starting to wonder whether Swinney genuinely doesn't want it, and is just being used as the "stop Kate" candidate, that some have briefed out.

The thought I can't shake, is that if he can convince her to rule herself out, he could also withdraw, and endorse some member of the new guard, in an attempted rug-pull. I know that's a bit tinfoil hat, but I'm trying to work out why else he'd refuse to jump in at this stage.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2024, 05:06:45 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2024, 03:32:26 AM by Torrain »

EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2024, 03:32:12 AM »

How much of that 40% or more the SNP get depends on the salience of the independence issue, of course.

Indeed, but even if a period of popular Labour government in Westminster can reduce support for independence, and even if the salience of the issue amongst those still supporting it declines (neither of which is close to being assured) that's still going to leave a viable SNP with a floor about as high as the current Tory ceiling.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2024, 04:50:06 AM »
« Edited: May 02, 2024, 05:01:47 AM by Torrain »

Room filling up for Swinney’s speech. Yousaf’s entire cabinet appear to be in attendance in the front row, and the slogan is “unite for independence”. It’s very continuity - everyone who told us it “has to be Humza” is here.

Swinney puts emphasis on economic growth and eliminating child poverty. Mentions Forbes by name, saying she’d have a role in his government - but in a tone that suggests she’s not yet signed up.

He says he’s “no caretaker, no interim leader” and would lead them into the 2026 elections.

Tellingly, he was introduced by Màiri McAllan, one of Sturgeon’s protégés who’ll almost certainly be lined up to follow him.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2024, 05:41:43 AM »
« Edited: May 02, 2024, 05:49:45 AM by afleitch »

Given that Forbes' most vocal backers (though there aren't that many at present) are briefing against Swinney this morning suggests there may be a contest. Or is just a bit of chest thumping.

Maybe Forbes thinks she can win with the membership. If she doesn't, her 2026 ambitions are sunk.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2024, 05:43:15 AM »

IMO Swinney had quite a strong media session at the launch.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies