UK Election 2010
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 07:42:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK Election 2010
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 71
Author Topic: UK Election 2010  (Read 254020 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1300 on: April 18, 2010, 04:33:39 PM »

I resent the fact that the outcome of this election (whatever it ends up being) will have been determined by the petulant media's insistence on holding three vapid lightshows. Lord knows how this will end up (and He doesn't care), but those stupid debates will end up deciding everything. I don't think many people have grasped the full implications of that. But think about if for a minute.

Just thought I should get that out the way.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1301 on: April 18, 2010, 04:39:46 PM »

I resent the fact that the outcome of this election (whatever it ends up being) will have been determined by the petulant media's insistence on holding three vapid lightshows. Lord knows how this will end up (and He doesn't care), but those stupid debates will end up deciding everything. I don't think many people have grasped the full implications of that. But think about if for a minute.

I definately share the same frustration with the current situation.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1302 on: April 18, 2010, 04:43:08 PM »

Oh, but the current situation is but a small part of what I'm getting at. Only a small part...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1303 on: April 18, 2010, 04:46:55 PM »

Oh, but the current situation is but a small part of what I'm getting at. Only a small part...

I'm guessing the whole "X-Factor, Westiminster's Got Talent, media deciding the election" and people voting like it's a reality show thing? Yeah, i'm frustrated with it.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1304 on: April 18, 2010, 04:51:10 PM »

I have to say, that is the most emotional statement I've ever seen out of Al on a political topic.  "Petulant media's insistence on holding three vapid lightshows."  You're not going to find much sympathy on this site, Al.  Americans have been basing their politics on vapid lightshows held by the petulant media for decades now.  At least we don't worry about what the political effects of the opinion of a "newspaper" that's only bought for the tramps on the third page.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1305 on: April 18, 2010, 04:55:07 PM »

Something else. There was a TV debate in Wales as well. The Tory said 'Morgan' when she should have said 'Jones' and I suppose what passes for a press in Wales will have a bit of fun with that.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #1306 on: April 18, 2010, 04:57:21 PM »

Funny how it's all the Labour supporters getting annoyed about the debates.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1307 on: April 18, 2010, 05:06:26 PM »

Something else. There was a TV debate in Wales as well. The Tory said 'Morgan' when she should have said 'Jones' and I suppose what passes for a press in Wales will have a bit of fun with that.

Who was at the debate? Ieuan Wyn Jones, clearly, and who for the Big Three?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1308 on: April 18, 2010, 05:10:28 PM »

I have to say, that is the most emotional statement I've ever seen out of Al on a political topic.

Is it? Interesting.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Indeed they have. This does not in any way diminish my point; the Americanisation of elections is in no way a good thing.

But there's more to this than that. At least in this particular election. This is a novelty, and that's a large part of what I resent (and resent is the right word, because General Elections matter a great deal). Though I'm not looking for sympathy; I just wanted to make something clear, in part because I don't think the full implications have been grasped. I don't want who's running the NHS or the DWP to be determined by someone making a minor slip-up on live television. This all feeds into my general issues with the media and cultural degeneration in the face of market obsession. That's all.

Slags. The technical English term is slags. Although I never remember how many 'g's' there are supposed to be. Tongue
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1309 on: April 18, 2010, 05:11:03 PM »

Peter Hain for Labour, Cheryl Gillan for the Tories, Kirsty Williams for the Libs and Ieuan Wyn Jones for Plaid.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1310 on: April 18, 2010, 05:13:26 PM »

I did, and I don't see what you mean (of course, I'm not well versed in UK politics).

Could it be you're just upset labor may end up coming in third Tongue
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1311 on: April 18, 2010, 05:17:11 PM »

Yeah, I really do hate the internet.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1312 on: April 18, 2010, 05:28:30 PM »

The Welsh Secretary, the Shadow Welsh Secretary and the Welsh Lib Dem leader

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/election_2010/8628288.stm
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1313 on: April 18, 2010, 05:59:42 PM »

I did, and I don't see what you mean (of course, I'm not well versed in UK politics).

Could it be you're just upset labor may end up coming in third Tongue

"Labor"? I've never heard of them before. What are their policies?

They're a boring Australian party. They're pretty much the closest thing to our Democratic Party that exists anywhere in the world.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1314 on: April 18, 2010, 06:12:02 PM »

What effect will this situation have on the turnout on May 6th? Mike Smithson has said that his prediction of a 70% or more turnout is looking pretty good now.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1315 on: April 18, 2010, 06:15:52 PM »

Thanks for the intricate explanation of your post.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1316 on: April 18, 2010, 06:30:26 PM »

A comment that was posted on the Lib Dems' official YouTube page that i thought i'd share with you all:

Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #1317 on: April 18, 2010, 06:33:30 PM »

Thanks for the intricate explanation of your post.

Well, just before you asked him, he also made this post, which may help you understand his point better.

I have to say, that is the most emotional statement I've ever seen out of Al on a political topic.

Is it? Interesting.

Indeed they have. This does not in any way diminish my point; the Americanisation of elections is in no way a good thing.

But there's more to this than that. At least in this particular election. This is a novelty, and that's a large part of what I resent (and resent is the right word, because General Elections matter a great deal). Though I'm not looking for sympathy; I just wanted to make something clear, in part because I don't think the full implications have been grasped. I don't want who's running the NHS or the DWP to be determined by someone making a minor slip-up on live television. This all feeds into my general issues with the media and cultural degeneration in the face of market obsession. That's all.

Slags. The technical English term is slags. Although I never remember how many 'g's' there are supposed to be. Tongue
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1318 on: April 18, 2010, 06:42:48 PM »

A comment that was posted on the Lib Dems' official YouTube page that i thought i'd share with you all:

He's being called "Britain's Barack Obama" too much for my liking to be honest.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #1319 on: April 18, 2010, 06:44:53 PM »

He's being called "Britain's Barack Obama" too much for my liking to be honest.

There's a thread for this stuff.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1320 on: April 18, 2010, 06:52:16 PM »

A recent Labour leaflet.

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #1321 on: April 18, 2010, 06:53:32 PM »

They keep very quite?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1322 on: April 18, 2010, 06:57:18 PM »

I guess that's the kind of campaigning Al prefers.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1323 on: April 18, 2010, 07:05:11 PM »

Up until now this board had done well at not turning into the rest of the forum. Please try to respect how things are done here, thank you.

I guess that's the kind of campaigning Al prefers.

No, I'm not (and have never been) a fan of Roger Godsiff. He plays dirtier than dirt and has done (in various different 'games') for over thirty years.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1324 on: April 18, 2010, 07:08:30 PM »

Up until now this board had done well at not turning into the rest of the forum. Please try to respect how things are done here, thank you.

I'm guessing that's the reason why SpaceCommunistMutant's post was deleted?
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 71  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies