UK Election 2010 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 08:45:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK Election 2010 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK Election 2010  (Read 252175 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: January 31, 2010, 05:54:47 PM »

I actually hope there is a hung parliament.

The only scenario I would be happy with is the SNP holding the balance of power and pushing for major concessions in terms of deepening devolution. I would contend that the Tories are best placed to offer that.

Andrew, do you really think that the group that's named "Conservative and Unionist Party" is the one that's most receptive towards devolution?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 05:02:47 PM »

I take it that there's not much (any?) Wales-specific polling, but are there signs that Plaid is having a similar resurgence to the one their Scottish counterpart has had?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 08:09:45 PM »

A sucker's bet at 22/1.  300/1 was more like it.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 12:27:27 PM »

By the way, change08, looking at your sig...I'm sure that the first thing Kim Jong-Il thinks of in the morning is Trident removal.  Yes, ending a fairly large country's submarine-based second strike capability is crucial to North Korea's strategic objectives, which, as a country with an unreliable bunch of nukes that could be counted on the fingers of one hand and no delivery system that could even theoretically hit Britain, needs every advantage it could get.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 04:51:10 PM »

I resent the fact that the outcome of this election (whatever it ends up being) will have been determined by the petulant media's insistence on holding three vapid lightshows. Lord knows how this will end up (and He doesn't care), but those stupid debates will end up deciding everything. I don't think many people have grasped the full implications of that. But think about if for a minute.

Just thought I should get that out the way.

I have to say, that is the most emotional statement I've ever seen out of Al on a political topic.  "Petulant media's insistence on holding three vapid lightshows."  You're not going to find much sympathy on this site, Al.  Americans have been basing their politics on vapid lightshows held by the petulant media for decades now.  At least we don't worry about what the political effects of the opinion of a "newspaper" that's only bought for the tramps on the third page.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 07:26:38 PM »

As it happens, I am in favor of enfranchising prisoners.  Way to go, Roger, you made me like the Lib Dems more.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 12:50:17 PM »

Labour gets a thumbs up from me for referencing Little Britain.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 07:43:19 PM »

It's actually quite reasonable.  A Tory-Lib government would be a damn good one in my opinion, and by all indications if the election results come in as they look now (Tory 1st, Lib 2nd, Labour 3rd in the vote count), he's right that Labour would've lost all legitimacy to lead.

A Tory-Lib coalition would force the Conservatives to take the edge off their extreme Euroskepticism, which is my biggest objection to the Conservatives.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 11:20:13 AM »

All these Eastern Europeans coming in, where they flocking from?

Eastern Europe, obviously.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 03:22:58 PM »

BBC Breaking: Kathryn Smith (Lab PPC, Gravesham) arrested after crashing car on Monday. Breathalysed at scene in Dartford

When it rains...
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 02:37:15 PM »

Gives me an idea....

'The disbelieving stare when someone says they are still going to vote Labour.'

Grin

The pretencious giggle when someone says they're a Lib Dem.

The "I don't know you anymore" when someone says they're voting BNP.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 03:31:11 PM »

We're having a mock election in school on Thursday and it's actually hilarious (and saddening?) at how much support the Lib Dems have, yet hardly any of their supporters know what they stand for. Tongue

Acting like that is a phenomenon specifically for the LibDems is disingenuous. (And acting like people support the LibDems because Nick Clegg looks and sounds nice is just plain patronizing.)

It's also true.

That's extremely patronizing.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 03:51:23 PM »

The BBC Website just posted this.  It'd made me laugh, so I figured I'd share it:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Good Lord.  MP Cameron, just FYI, George W. Bush is not someone you want to emulate.  I thought you were going for the Barack Obama image?

PS: Lamb stew is tasty and the idea of Gordon having homemade lamb stew is the most favorable thought I've had of the man since he was Chancellor of the Exchequer.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies