Favourite latest post by previous poster (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 01:39:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Favourite latest post by previous poster (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Favourite latest post by previous poster  (Read 92001 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« on: March 15, 2014, 11:47:43 AM »

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 02:10:43 AM »

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 11:23:55 PM »

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 09:20:18 PM »

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 11:03:18 PM »

What a needlessly shrekstravagant show of depravity.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 09:50:11 PM »

I thought that people developed gray hair and wrinkles the instant they turned 50.

I also once thought that honesty was a prerequisite to becoming a president (after hearing about George Washington and the cherry tree).
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 06:37:03 PM »

That's a disgustingly high approval rating
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 10:45:30 PM »

Gregory is a republican hack; that's why the show is doing poorly. I would replace him with someone like Al Sharpton.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 01:47:02 PM »

Trying to train, arm secular factions of the Syrian rebels in a civil war that was already breaking out doesn't really make someone an "unrestrained warmonger". Not sure it would have been effective and neither is Hillary, as she admits. Can't see anything in here causing her political problems either.

On the internet, neocon/warmonger = anyone to the right of Ron Paul on foreign policy. It's starting to become as much of a meaningless buzzword as "neoliberal".
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 01:52:03 PM »

Jesus returned to the Mount of Olives, but early the next morning he logged back on the forum. A crowd soon gathered in IRC and he started posting with them. As he was typing, the moderators of the forum and the ban brigade brought a woman who had been caught in the act of trolling. They put her in front of the forum.

"Teacher,” they said to Jesus, “this woman was caught in the act of trolling. The site's Terms of Service says to ban her. What do you say?”

They were trying to trap him into saying something they could use against him, but Jesus stooped down and started playing Candy Crush on his phone. They kept demanding an answer, so he posted again and said, “All right, but let the one who is without infraction cast the first death point!" Then he stooped down again and played some more Candy Crush.

When the accusers read this, they started logging off one by one, beginning with the oldest, until only Jesus was on the forum with the woman. Then Jesus started posting again and said to the woman, “Where are your accusers? Didn’t even one of them condemn you?”

“No, Lord,” she said.

And Jesus said, “Neither do I. Go and troll no more.”
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 07:14:30 PM »

Great post, and not just for the Watchmen reference.

To be honest, if we get to this point, I wouldn't care enough to choose between them. I'd say f**k it, if these morons want Le Pen, let's give them Le Pen.
As much as I dislike Sarkozy, voting for a fascist candidate who has endorsed Vladimir Putin and wants to turn France into an aryan paradise is insanity.

OK, I'll really get to my main point.

The issue is that I'm sick and tired at European far-right parties gaining more and more ground, defining more and more the public discourse and thus influencing policy to a degree superior to any other "government party", all while keeping their hands clean and continuing to claim they're the victims of the big bad establishment. It's pretty clear that the morons who make up a majority of the electorate are foaming to see these bastards in power, and the only reason this hasn't happened yet is because some of them still have a few scruples. So I say f**k it, let's give them what they want! We'll see how great that turns out to be! I'm sick and tired of having to explain (directly or indirectly) to morons why the FN in power would be a catastrophe. If they're too stupid to figure it out, they will have to learn it the hard way. The accumulated filth of all their fascism and xenophobia will foam up about their waists and all the morons will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No."

...OK, sorry, that ripoff was really lame and I should be ashamed. Tongue But you get the idea.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 08:33:52 PM »

A very healthy attitude.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 01:34:07 AM »

Now for something quite different; I suppose I'm a few Hours early for this to be a #ThrowbackThursday post, but here ya go.

One of the fun facts about Louisiana is that its had more constitutions (11) than any other state. The current version was the product of a convention called during Edwin Edwards' first term, in 1973. The Constitution before that was from the early 1920's and had over 500 (!) amendments. The convention of 1973 started with a great deal of hope and enthusiasm, but turned into something of a cluster. Still, the legislators came up with a draft and put it up for a vote in April 1974.

I've been looking around for a while for a parish-level map of the vote; I couldn't find it anywhere until I recently thought to just request data from the secretary of state!

(And yes, as I've done a few times before, I used the LA colors (purple/gold) instead of red/blue Wink )

As far as the coalitions go, I was actually expecting something that looked like the current D/R coalition. The new constitution expanded the jurisdiction/taxing power of local governments, so I naturally expected the more fiscally conservative areas to be against it. That pretty much holds up in the north. From what I understand, most of the younger, reform-minded legislators who pushed hardest for the new constitution were from the New Orleans metro/eastern Acadiana, which must be why it did so well there.

Also of note is that the jungle primary was established through this constitution.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 08:48:56 PM »

warms my old heart to see a tale as inspiring as this one:

Not sure it was the Atlas itself that changed my ideology, but I was a Ron Paul libertarian when I joined and became a liberal Democrat regarding economics after getting active on the forum.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2015, 10:29:15 PM »

Bushie is there a reason you've turned so violently against President Barack Obama in the past few weeks? Do you blame him for your current unemployment situation?

His administration has been an absolute catastrophe for the country.  His policies are by and large devastating and debilitating to the country.  On top of that, he's too arrogant.  It's his way or the highway.  He expects every person in America to think like him and welcome his liberal, progressive, anti-Christian agenda.

What made you change your mind about him? Was it the declining employment rate? Or the surging GDP? Or maybe the quickly dropping price of gas? Or the ten million fewer uninsured people? Because you voted for him twice.

Lief, conservatives like ODF are not concerned with these menial accomplishments.  To please Bushie, consider...

1. Is that boy gettin uppity?

2. Is he trying to establish a theocracy?

If your answers are "yes sir-eee bob" and "but muh Jesus" you have a "catastrophe".
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 10:01:27 PM »

Starting from Hoover as that is the easiest to get records, from best-to-worst, who sounds the best to your ears? Be it on the merits of who sounds the most compassionate, or who is the most authoritative, or both, or neither. Who sounds the best to your ears, and who the worst.

14. George W. Bush
13. Nixon
12. Ford
11. Clinton
10. George H.W. Bush
9. Hoover
8. Carter
7. Reagan
6. Johnson
5. Truman
4. Obama
3. Eisenhower
2. FDR
1. Kennedy
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 11:36:18 AM »

Inspired by a discussion with Goldwater a couple months ago, and more recently by all the State polls we had. There are 50 States, so divide them into 5 categories of 10 each (say, great/fine/average/meh/awful). Ideally, you should try to balance out quality of life, aesthetics, weather, culture and politics (but of course you can weigh these factors as you wish).

Here's my map:

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 01:06:43 PM »

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2015, 02:08:55 PM »

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2015, 09:19:03 AM »

Are you living in an alternate reality? This forum is full of insane austericrats.

Well, I still have some hope left that you will once join the good side too, once you start earning your own money - instead of simply spending the money from your parents to finance your studies etc. ... Wink

Spoken like a true US Republican. "Those damn lib'ruls only care about helping the poor because they're lazy moochers, but once they begin working their ass off they'll become good upstanding fiscal conservatives like us!"

Not spoken like a true Republican, but more like someone with common sense. If you want to live your life like the Greeks, go ahead. And end up broke and a financial slave to others. But that's not what I want to do. Saving is awesome and that's how I managed my money since forever and now have a good surplus. If I managed it like the Greeks, I'd live under a bridge now. And btw, this policy is not really exclusively "Republican". Even Green parties, like the Baden-Württemberg ones, are in favor of fiscal conservatism.

Of course it's easy to be in favor of "fiscal conservatism" when you can balance your budget without putting millions of people in poverty and cutting access to basic services. I'm sure the Greeks who have lost their employment, income, home and healthcare are very happy to know you are doing fine.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies