1980 Presidential Election: Four More Years? (GAME THREAD) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:04:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  1980 Presidential Election: Four More Years? (GAME THREAD) (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: 1980 Presidential Election: Four More Years? (GAME THREAD)  (Read 14219 times)
Former Lincoln Assemblyman & Lt. Gov. RGN
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix
E: 2.31, S: 4.47

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2016, 01:37:30 AM »

BTW, Betty Ford isn't dead. She is near-death I suppose basing on what Kingpoleon said
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2016, 09:10:17 AM »

I guess due to time constraints, we would not anymore proceed to the other rounds, but you may comment on the answers during the next turn. Smiley It will begin tomorrow since that I'm kinda busy with my workload this day (yeah, working at home at sunday)
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2016, 07:40:18 AM »

I'll post round three by later night, so the turn will start by Tuesday morning until Monday 11:59 PM EDT (Republican debate, that's why)
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2016, 10:15:34 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2016, 10:17:31 PM by NE Rep. RGN (Fed-NY) »

Turn III
December 30, 1979- January 5, 1980

1.- Primary Ballot Deadlines: Candidates have until this turn's end to file in for the Puerto Rico and New Hampshire primaries. Take notice of the deadlines and plan carefully! You may opt not to join the first primaries. Just indicate on your post whether you will run in a certain primary or not. Filing for the Iowa Caucuses are over.
2.- Primary Debates (Republican Party)Sad A Republican Party primary debate sponsored by the League of Women Voters will be held this turn. I will post the questions later. Just indicate on your post whether you will join the debate or not. However, I will post questions for all candidates. Take note that this debate, whether joining or not will be a critical factor in the polling next turn.
In the News!
from Wikipedia
(might as well consider this as random events)

US Enters Recession:
The United States enters a minor recession spawned by the 1979 oil crisis; The Unemployment Rate rises to 6.3%

Pres. Carter proclaims grain embargo against USSR
U.S. President Jimmy Carter proclaims a grain embargo against the USSR with the support of the European Commission.

Gallup: Republican Primary:

Ronald Reagan: 52% (+15%)
John Anderson: 18% (+7%)
Pete McCloskey: 14% (+7%)
Undecided: 16% (+5%)

After Former Pres. Ford's surprise withdrawal due to his wife's condition, Gov. Reagan is seen as the one who benefited the most in the polls. However, Rep. Anderson and Rep. McCloskey are also seen as dark horses who can sway the moderates before the primaries start. Their poll numbers next turn will depend mostly on the debate. 

Gallup: Democratic Primary:

Jimmy Carter: 50% (hold)
George Wallace: 30% (+2%)
Cliff Finch: 5%(+5%)
Undecided: 15% (+1%)

Finch mostly inherited Gov. Edwards' supporters. While Pres. Carter's numbers remain stable at 50%. Gov. Wallace's intense campaigning also made his numbers rise. However, Gov. Finch's numbers are still considered as "initial" since that he just recently entered the race.

Random and Player Consequence Events
RULE: If the number generated was from (6 - 45), I will not post it anymore.

Carter wins debate.

According to 13 political analysts, eight believed that Carter won the debate, while 4 believed that Gov. Wallace won. One analyst scored it as a draw, citing that Gov. Wallace's new positions appealed to voters. Also in the debate, the two also regretted their perceived "negative/controversial stance and campaigning" during their past elections. Gov. Wallace also reiterated that he's fit to serve as president. 

This turn will start today and will end a week later (due to the debate):May 2, 11:59 PM EDT
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2016, 10:30:06 PM »

Early Polling

Gallup: Iowa Caucuses (Republican)

Ronald Reagan: 52%
John Anderson: 16%
Pete McCloskey: 12%
Undecided: 20%

Gallup: Iowa Caucuses (Democratic)

Jimmy Carter: 53%
George Wallace: 19%
Cliff Finch: 3%
Undecided: 25%

Gallup: Approval Rating of President Carter

Approve: 54%
Disapprove: 35%
Undecided/No Opinion: 11%

As the U.S. enters recession.....
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2016, 12:00:43 AM »

Is the Afghan-Soviet War still on? BTW good job on the numbers.
Yes Smiley
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2016, 04:53:43 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2016, 05:00:16 PM by NE Rep. RGN (Fed-NY) »

You have to declare if you want to run in NH and PR. For those who "declared for every available/all primaties" before this turn have to re-declare again
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2016, 05:27:56 PM »

REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 1980 ENDORSEMENTS

George H.W Bush

Let me tell you about Reagan, he has the guts to tell it like it is. Anderson and McCloskey are nothing more than Democrats in all but name.

Bush will be a Reagan surrogate

I've forgot to mention that H.W Bush is locked as an endorser/surrogate until further notice Smiley He's not yet planning to endorse anybody (this is a surprise)
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2016, 05:02:24 AM »

I will be posting the questions later.
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2016, 12:44:04 PM »

Indicate first if you will join or participate in the Republican debate. So I will only make questions for those who will participate.
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2016, 05:09:14 AM »
« Edited: April 28, 2016, 06:23:02 AM by NE Rep. RGN (Fed-NY) »

Republican Party Presidential Debate I
Ames , Iowa – January 1980

Good evening. I'm Ruth Hinerfeld of the League of Women Voters Education Fund. We're pleased to be in Ames for the first of our 1980 Republican Party Presidential Debates. The League is a non-partisan organization. We're presenting these debates to provide citizens an opportunity to see and hear the candidates state their positions on important issues of concern to us all. Our moderator is Barbara Walters.

Barbara Walters: Thank you, Mrs. Hinerfeld. My colleagues and I agreed to participate tonight, although the questioners are limited by the constraints of the format, because we thought with the League of Women Voters, that it is desirable to seek a comparison of views on a few issues in a joint appearance by the men who would be the nominee of the Republican Party in the next year’s election.

The following candidates at stage, accepted the League of Women Voters' invitation to be here. The candidates will respond with their views on certain issues posed by questions from my colleagues Joseph Kraft , syndicated columnist; John Chancellor of NBC News; James Hoge , editor of the Chicago Sun Times; Hal Bruno , chief political correspondent of Newsweek magazine and Elizabeth Drew , New Yorker magazine. None of the questions has been submitted in advance to either the League of Women Voters, or to the candidates, or to their representatives. The candidates do not have prepared notes or comments with them this evening, but they may make notes and refer to them during the debate.

Gentlemen, thank you for coming. The ground rules you agreed upon with the League are brief.

We will begin this debate tonight with opening statements of each candidate. Each panelist will ask a single question from every candidate. At the end each of you will make closing remarks. (single post only)

We ask the audience to abide by one simple ground rule: Please do not applaud or express approval or disapproval during the debate. You may do that on the primaries.

QUESTIONS
Joseph Kraft’s question for JOHN ANDERSON: Rep. Anderson,  everyone seems to agree that solving the economic problems of inflation and unemployment or stagflation, as most people call it, has to be given top priority. After economic problem, what do you see as the next most urgent and crucial domestic problems? In what order of importance would you go to work on such problems as the rise of unemployment, tax reform, health insurance, help for the poor and the elderly, in short, after the economy and the hostage crisis perhaps, what would be the very specific priorities of your administration?

John Chancellor’s question for PETE MCCLOSKEY:. Rep. McCloskey , our unemployment rate has gone up to 6.3% . Most of the analysts say that the president should use the full powers of the government, if necessary, to combat unemployment. Specifically what measures would you advocate and at what point?

Barbara Walters’ question for RONALD REAGAN:. Governor Reagan,  I would ask you to engage in as many specifics as you possibly can. What politically unpopular measures are you willing to endorse, push and stay with that might provide real progress in reducing inflation considering that this country is currently in a recession?

James Hoge’s question for JOHN ANDERSON:  Rep. Anderson , Under what circumstances would you use military forces to deal with a military crisis like the hostage crisis right now. I ask this question in view of charges that we are woefully unprepared to project sustained power in that part of the world.

Hal Bruno’s question for PETE MCCLOSKEY:  Rep. McCloskey, your two opponents and you have criticized the president over his handling of the hostage crisis, but what would you do to prevent such crisis like that again?

Elizabeth Drew’s question for RONALD REAGAN:  Do you think that holding annual summit meetings with the Soviet Union will result in agreements that would satisfy the interests of this country?

QUESTION TO ALL CANDIDATES: If you’re elected and the grain embargo against the Soviet Union is still in effect, are you willing to drop or lift the embargo?

P.S.: Questions are from/inspired from the past debates.

RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2016, 06:10:11 PM »

bumping this.
This turn will end Monday at 11:59 PM EDT
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2016, 07:30:00 PM »

This turn will end later at 11:59 PM EDT
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2016, 07:17:34 AM »

The next round will start tomorrow. I still have to rate your works Smiley
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2016, 08:59:02 AM »

I'm still the only one who's answered the debate questions.
Should we extend this to accommodate Golfman76? I'll start this round by tomorrow. If he's not yet posting anything by tomorrow then there would be no mention yet of the debates Smiley
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2016, 10:44:25 PM »

I'll start the round by Tuesday, because tomorrow Monday will be election day here in the Philippines Smiley
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2016, 07:04:54 AM »

Sorry, but I've been very busy. Expect an update within Friday Smiley Meanwhile, it's better to prepare your schedules for the next turn.
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2016, 01:46:01 AM »

Sorry, but I've been very busy. Expect an update within Friday Smiley Meanwhile, it's better to prepare your schedules for the next turn.
What will the dates be for next turn?
Check the first posts Smiley
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2016, 10:06:50 AM »

I'll be busy for the next days until Tuesday.

Meanwhile, to keep things up, the two remaining Republican candidates are invited in a forum in Des Moines, Iowa. The forum will be in this format
- The candidates will make their opening statements first. Also included there are three questions that they would want to ask to each other
- The two candidates will answer the questions in a separate post
- If time permits, they can rebut the answers in a separate posts
- In a separate post also, the candidates will make their closing statement.

A Democratic forum will be also held. Same format for the three candidates.

This mini-round will end on Tuesday Smiley
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2016, 09:54:48 AM »

I'm giving a day for the candidates to make a final statement. Next round will DEFINITELY start tomorrow Smiley (whew, it's a long delay)
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2016, 02:12:47 AM »

Turn IV
January 6 - 12, 1980

1.- Primary Ballot Deadlines: Candidates have until Turn 10 to file in for the March 8 and March 17. Take notice of the deadlines and plan carefully! You may opt not to join the first primaries. Just indicate on your post whether you will run in a certain primary or not. Filing for the January to February contests are over.
2.- Democratic Forum
 The three remaining Democratic candidates are invited in a forum in Dubuque, Iowa. The forum will be in this format
- The candidates will make their opening statements first. Also included there are three questions that they would want to ask to each other
- The two candidates will answer the questions in a separate post
- If time permits, they can rebut the answers in a separate posts
- In a separate post also, the candidates will make their closing statement.
(this forum will end at the end of Turn V. This will not be mentioned as I post the results from Turn IV)

In the News!
from Wikipedia
(might as well consider this as random events)

Bailing Out
U.S. President Jimmy Carter signs legislation approving $1.5 billion in loan guarantees to bail out the Chrysler Corporation.

For the first time, I'll not post national primary polls. National polls will be posted sporadically

Gallup: Republican Iowa Caucuses

Ronald Reagan: 54% (+2)
John Anderson: 37% (+21)
Undecided: 9% (-11)

SUMMARY: Anderson benefited from the forums and debates, managed to hold off Reagan in the forum. He managed to convince some of the undecideds and most McCloskey supporters (see previous poll) to switch to him.

Gallup: Dem. Iowa Caucuses

Jimmy Carter: 46% (-7)
George Wallace: 34% (+4%)
Cliff Finch: 6%(+1%)
Undecided: 14% (-1%)

SUMMARY: As the Iowa caucuses near, and the hostage situation worsening, Pres. Carter appeared on an interview with John Chancellor. The interview was focused on Carter's position on major issues. This did little to no help to his ratings as Wallace's and Finch's ratings continue to rise (random events). 

Gallup: Approval Rating of President Carter

Approve: 51%
Disapprove: 37%
Undecided/No Opinion: 12%

This turn will start today and will end on May 27, 11:59 PM EDT
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2016, 07:25:03 PM »

Can a last minute candidate enter the race?
Yeah. Sure
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2016, 07:29:11 PM »

Strategic Memo #001

The attached document is to be circulated at every visit by the candidate, event held by supporters, and meetings of friendly organization meetings Iowa, New Hampshire, and Puerto Rico. These are instructions as to how to cast your ballot for the Director without seeing his name on the ballot. Though we have no expectations to place first in any of these states due to lack of ballot access, a strong showing despite our obstacles will allow us to win the narrative over our opponents.

We have compiled a list of the filing deadlines for weekly newspapers around Iowa and New Hampshire. Communications is currently drafting a press release to get out just before the filing deadlines of every paper on the list. Due to our proximity to the filing deadlines, our strategic department is confident our press release will be printed with little to no revision.

The Director's schedule is engineered to take advantage of the high levels of press coverage our late entry is receiving. Events are to be scheduled in town exactly two days following the printing of our announcement press release in their weekly paper. If events are scheduled in time, event detail should accompany the press release to the newspaper offices.

We are attempting to arrange around a dozen phone interviews for the Director in the March states. Some radio shows are willing to allow us to record when time permits and play it on air the following morning. We recognize the higher risk nature of on-the-fly radio interviews in which hosts guide the questions, however, the Director's patriotism, love of family, and convictions are beyond pale. We are confident there will be no sort of ethical impugning take place, just as we are confident radio listeners will get the opportunity to listen to the Director's voice and know who he is.

Early analysis of the data and the predictions being floated in the media give us much-better-than-50-50 odds of carrying Masschusetts and Vermont on the 8th of March. The 17th of March predictions show us starting with a lead in Maine, Illinois, Connecticut, and Kansas. If our lead materializes and holds in these states, we are prepared to make a heavy investment in Colorado and Wyoming to give us a clean sweep, along with the 226 delegates awarded.
Write-ins are allowed Smiley. But don't expect a first place finish there unless you really put a lot of efforts there.
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2016, 07:34:37 PM »

Rules for the "Announcement Turn" (first turn will be on Monday)
ANNOUNCEMENT TURN: April 9, 2016 to April 10, 2016
based on cxs018's rules

1. Announce your candidacy. It can be something as simple as a few sentences in an interview, or something as complex as a multiple-page announcement speech. All that matters is that you make it clear that you're running for president.
2. Post your campaign activities from any timeframe before December 3,1979.
3. Private message me to request endorsements. I'll approve them for the most part, unless they don't make sense. Maximum of five endorsements per turn Smiley. Endorsement requests will start at this turn

Primaries Rules
1. Post your campaign activities from the timeframe given.
2. Each candidate can choose one primary state to poll; I will privately message them the poll results. Note that national polls and polls for upcoming states will be posted on this thread for all to see.
3. Make your plans realistic. For example, you can't run a lot of ads at the same time if you don't fund raise. I will give high points for realism.
4. Private message me to request endorsements. I'll approve them for the most part, unless they don't make sense. Maximum of five endorsements per turn
5. I will create news stories using a random number generator as well as from real events; as usual, 1-5 = negative news for a candidate, 46-50 = positive news for a candidate, 6-45 = no impact.
6. Rules for the general election will be announced about halfway through the primaries, or whenever both nominees are obvious.

based on Lumine's rules
7.- Note on Delegates: For gameplay purposes, both parties will be using a proportional system for delegates, with a 15% threshold. The only exception to this rule is the decisive California Primary, which as in OTL will be Winner Takes All.

8. You may request for state primaries polls via PM. I will send the results via PM. Three states per turn. National primaries/upcoming state primaries/general election polls will be posted here.

9.NEW RULE: Please post the breakdown of your campaign spending and your raised amount every turn. This includes paraphernalia, ads, rallies, fundraisers, salary of your campaign workers, etc. It's up to you on how you will report it. It will also boost your campaign.

If you're candidate is a well known millionaire (e.g: Ross Perot, Donald Trump), you can spend with your own money as well. Label them as "own money. In order to raise your budget, just organize fund raising events.

Reiterating this :
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2016, 10:59:02 PM »

This has just gone on the second page come on please update.
I will give until Saturday for the other players to post their schedules.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies