One person, one vote: SCOTUS to tell us what it means (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 12:37:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  One person, one vote: SCOTUS to tell us what it means (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: One person, one vote: SCOTUS to tell us what it means  (Read 7053 times)
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« on: May 27, 2015, 12:27:50 PM »

Switching to CVAP would be a bonanza for the Republican Party, you know. And even besides that it would be morally suspect: even if immigrants and children cannot yet vote, they are still full human beings deserving of consideration, and are still affected by this policies of those who do vote.

Counting minors and noncitizens for redistricting purposes does not give them a vote. It just gives more electoral power to the adult citizens who live near them, at the expense of those who live further away. While I agree that these categories deserve a voice, the solution is to expand the electorate in the ways you suggested, not to distort the principle of equal representation.

And I tend to ignore the partisan implications when discussing electoral regulations. I'm not going to scold Republicans for rigging the system just to condone it when Democrats do the same thing.

But as noted before, there are ways that minors and noncitizens can become voters, through the natural process of aging and through naturalization. My question would be whether using total population tends to better keep district populations stable over the 10 years of their existence than would using CVAP or some other metric that excludes people not eligible at the time of the census.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 12:28:43 PM »

Switching to CVAP would be a bonanza for the Republican Party, you know. And even besides that it would be morally suspect: even if immigrants and children cannot yet vote, they are still full human beings deserving of consideration, and are still affected by this policies of those who do vote.

Counting minors and noncitizens for redistricting purposes does not give them a vote. It just gives more electoral power to the adult citizens who live near them, at the expense of those who live further away. While I agree that these categories deserve a voice, the solution is to expand the electorate in the ways you suggested, not to distort the principle of equal representation.

And I tend to ignore the partisan implications when discussing electoral regulations. I'm not going to scold Republicans for rigging the system just to condone it when Democrats do the same thing.

You make a very good point.  CVAP does feel philosophically right for assigning equal sized districts.  But there is also the fact that the US system privileges rural voters in presidential elections and privileges them to the extreme in senate elections.  The current districting rules produce one of the only urban advantages in our whole system.  So I question reforming it without reforming the senate and electoral college simultaneously.

The urban advantage in House districts isn't as clear cut as you're saying, I don't think. Coupled with single-member districts rather than multi-member districts, it's not much of an advantage at all.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 07:26:15 PM »

This is only about how to allocate for districts within states, not for how to allocate seats in the House to each state. At least as I understand it. The constitution is pretty clear that apportionment of House votes is to be by full population.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies