There could be some important changes to UK elections very soon (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 02:46:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  There could be some important changes to UK elections very soon (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: There could be some important changes to UK elections very soon  (Read 1915 times)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« on: July 05, 2007, 09:03:02 AM »

3) Voting Method

In line with the Government’s manifesto, it is carrying out a review of the
experience of the new voting systems established since 1997 to contribute
to the debate. The review will include information on the elections for the
Northern Ireland Assembly in March 2007 and for the National Assembly
for Wales and the Scottish Parliament in May 2007. It is anticipated that
the review will be completed by the end of this year.

Well, scrapping the European Parliamentary Election Act 1999 would be an excellent start Smiley. Putrid like all list systems. I'd certainly favor STV for Euro elections

For general elections, the constituency link is vital so I'd favor either AV (at least everyone's vote ultimately counts) but I'm open to STV and would oppose anything that goes further than that

Dave
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 06:33:08 PM »

What if all of the constituencies were maintained, but Parliament were expanded to include regional proportional seats as well?

Not the Mixed Member Proportional Representation/Top Up system they have in Scotland and Wales

Preferable, yet not really preferable at all since it still would involve a party list, would be the Parallel Voting/Supplemental Member system, whereby:

1) One vote, using FPTP or, preferably, AV since every vote ultimately counts, would be cast to elect one MP for each constituency
2) A second vote would be cast for a party; the regional seats then being allocated proportionally to that party's total share of the regional vote

Dave
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 06:44:40 PM »

What if all of the constituencies were maintained, but Parliament were expanded to include regional proportional seats as well?

The Commons chamber is pretty much packed to capacity as it is Smiley As countries go, at 1:70,000 ish the size of the parliament is large enough.

As for systems, I don't support AV, because if in use it would see Labour's inflated electoral advantage increase even more. Some models have suggested the Conservatives at the last election under AV would have fell to 125-150 seats at the expense of Labour and the Lib Dems. If anything, FPTP is more 'proportional' in the results it produces than AV.

I've dug out my 1998 Politics Pal and under the following systems, the 1997 general election result would have been

FPTP: Lab 419; Con 165; LD 46; Nat 10; Others 19 - Lab maj. of 179

Pure Proportionality (List): Lab 285; Con 202; LD 110; Nat 46; Others 89 - Lab 89 seats short of a maj.

Alternative Vote: Lab 436; Con 110; LD 84; Nat 10; Others 19 - Lab maj. of 213

Single Transferable Vote: Lab 342; Con 114, LD 131; Nat 24; Others 18 - Lab maj. of 25

Additional Member System: Lab 303; Con 203; LD 115; Nat 20; Others 18 - Lab 27 seats short of a maj.

Supplentary Vote: Lab 436; Con 110; LD 84; Nat 10; Others 19 - Lab maj. of 213

Dave
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies