Did you like high school?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 08:58:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Did you like high school?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Did you like high school?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Did you like high school?  (Read 2615 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2009, 03:59:34 PM »

So far, so good.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2009, 04:05:05 PM »

I miss it so much. I got to live at home, learn things all day and then play korqruet on the quad after school. I like college, but I don't do well in such an unstructured environment. The dorm living isn't really my kind of life either.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2009, 04:07:23 PM »

I loved it, but more for the social situation than for the "learning."
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2009, 04:33:13 PM »

I miss it so much. I got to live at home, learn things all day and then play korqruet on the quad after school. I like college, but I don't do well in such an unstructured environment. The dorm living isn't really my kind of life either.

What the HELL?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2009, 05:16:04 PM »

Do you mean croquet?  Did they have spelling class at your school?  Wink

Or is korqruet some upper class game us underlings wouldn't understand?

Anyway... I enjoyed high school.  My city only had one high school (now there are 3.. 2 charter schools have opened since), but my class had about 500 students, so we had the benefits of having every socio-economic class in the same school, but also having lots of electives and stuff.

Our community has put together a lot of resources to produce great schools.  We've also done a lot of thinking outside the box.  We have partnerships with the local university, tech college, and Habitat for Humanity for technical training and taking college courses for college and high school credit for no charge.

There's also a strong investment in extracurriculars.  While most modern schools only have a 400-600 seat auditorium, ours was built with 1200 seats and every year the Christmas choir concert is performed to a standing room only crowd.  The arts, cultural experiences, and sports are very important here.

The school has a partnership with the local curling club.  The class is so popular that it has waiting lists and 300 kids take the class each year.  This has led to 8 U.S. olympic curlers coming from Bemidji.

Plus there were little quirks and benefits that a lot of kids don't get elsewhere... like the lunch ladies giving you cookies and singing happy birthday as embarrassingly and obnoxiously as possible.. also, the school is on 80 acres of land that abuts the Mississippi river, so environmental science and biology classes do a lot of research on aquatic life as well as forestry.

It's a strong connection to the community and a strong sense of pride that has led Minnesota into the top 10 in the world (I think we were 5th or 6th) for educational achievement.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2009, 06:44:48 PM »

I didn't like secondary school much. Mind you, I was hardly ever actually there, because of illness. Think my attendance rate was something like 25%.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2009, 11:49:21 PM »

activities moderators (To Phil: Fr. Hurley was the best),

Absolutely. What a great, great man.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2009, 02:05:35 AM »

Besides most of the classes and the attendance part. I can't even single out a particular period that was bad, so I guess it was pretty solid. Senior year was the best.

Of course, everything good about high school is still there when you get to college minus a lot of the stupid classes and minus the attendance reqs.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2009, 05:01:58 PM »

Yes.
Coburn In 2012

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2009, 03:46:51 PM »

Loved it.  But I probably spent to much time on sports and girls and not enough time hitting the books.  Oh well...I had fun and thats important. 
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2009, 04:00:49 PM »

Loved it.  But I probably spent to much time on sports and girls and not enough time hitting the books.  Oh well...I had fun and thats important. 

I see that.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies