How would you fix the Republican Party? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:17:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How would you fix the Republican Party? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How would you fix the Republican Party?  (Read 4578 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: September 23, 2014, 11:30:02 AM »

The social platform is laughable in the 21st century, and it infects they way conservatives handle economic issues. For instance, conservatives get-off by denying access to economic privileges for homosexual couples. This leads them to believe that our tax system and healthcare laws and so forth should be retained as backdoor gay-bashing. Another classic is Republicans who've been complaining about Medicare spending for decades, suddenly lambast Obama for trying to cut $500B from Medicare over 10 years. Suddenly, Medicare is a cons best friend when it helps them block Obamacare.

It's basically just the Sean Hannity wing of the GOP.

Or Karl Rove wing. Basically bland "American" Nationalism. A "majority of the majority", right? I think the Republican Party will either have to go all in as a Southern Populist party or go back to being a white collar party or just wait for Democrats to take us to the brink. Democrats were in this same position 8 years ago.                 
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 01:09:07 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2014, 01:24:45 PM by MooMooMoo »

The United States is starting to look more like Europe.  Therefore, the GOP of the future will highly resemble the centre-right parties of Western Europe.  That doesn't mean becoming more libertarian - in no Western country today can the main centre-right party be described as primarily "libertarian".  Trust me, there's no future for a party that rejects things like corporate welfare, bailouts and government largess.  In the 21st Century, big government is good for big business.  The GOP's relevancy in the future depends on it being able to make the case that it can use big government as a way to create a more efficient, better society rather than only using it as a means to achieve a welfare-based culture as the Democrats seem to be doing.  

Alternatively, a just-as-feasible electoral paradigm for the future GOP would be to resort to overtly racial rhetoric in an increasingly multicultural United States as a way to shore-up support among Whites.  Honestly, it doesn't matter if Democrats win >90% of the minority votes if the GOP can start consistently start winning more than 72%-ish of Whites.  That could probably be accomplished by a large, very direct "law and order" style campaign that plays very well in lily-White suburbs that may even tilt D right now.    

So, the future of the GOP either looks like neo-Nazism or...neo-Nazisim?  

R.I.P Sir Spany Rodriguez (2006-2013)

Basically Fergusson or Alabama is the whole of America, if not Western Civilization, in the 2030s?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 10:27:52 AM »

I do think that it's in the GOP's long-term best interest to liberalize on marijuana, the gays, and perhaps even criminal justice. However, if it's going to do that, it needs to keep a few points in mind: Everything must be rationalized using conservative logic; i. e., "The War on Drugs is expensive and breaks up families", "It makes good fiscal sense to reform the prison system", etc. This extends to same-sex marriage, support for which should be approached from a "pro-family" perspective. And whatever the rest of its social platform consists of, it's imperative that the GOP continues to be known as "the pro-life party". That one item will keep most social conservatives voting Republican in spite of the party's liberalization on other issues, and current polls indicate that that position won't hurt them much among youngs.

This sounds about right. I think Republicans are running out of time to get ahead of the whole pot issue.

Can they run on just personhood? It's not becoming more popular just not less so and will probably start feeling the gravity of modernity like other issues once personhood ever gets passed and aggressively enforced anywhere.  But I suspect it has milage as long as it doesn't create huge waves.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 01:42:42 PM »

This is America. You have a right to be wrong but that doesn't make it not hilarious, right?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies