Any chance Gore may run? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 04:47:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Any chance Gore may run? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Any chance Gore may run?  (Read 2081 times)
Higgins
« on: August 05, 2017, 12:01:44 PM »

He's younger than Trump, Biden and Sanders, and could appeal to the Establishment while not offending the Bernie wing. Given his record on climate change and the fact that he's so hated by the right, he could actually be accepted by the Bernie people.
Higgins
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 12:24:22 PM »

This is actually not the most ridiculous scenario I've heard even though he has an infinitesimal chance of winning the nomination.

Why? He still has name recognition. He's hated by conservatives, which automatically scores him points. Most young people don't remember he was a conservative Democrat, they would just know his work on climate change - another plus. He's not been tied with the Clintons since 2001 - 19 years from 2020 - another plus. He has enough establishment contacts to get DNC support if he wins, but he's been out of office long enough to be considered a semi-outsider.
Higgins
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 03:30:07 PM »

Gore is acting like a candidate.  He's making appearances here and there, getting free publicity, has a new movie out.  He's cutting a higher profile, the kind of profile that leads folks to have that Eureka! moment when thinking of Gore versus the rest of the Democratic field.  He's got the stature of Biden, but he's also attached to a key issue (environment) in the sense Sanders is, and he's won the popular vote once, like Hillary did.  Of the top tier of candidates, Gore seems to have the plusses without too many of the minuses.  He's well vetted; his liabilities won't be a surprise, but won't render him "under investigation".  I strongly believe that Gore intends to run, and I believe, only a little less strongly, that he would be the most formidable candidate at this point, all things considered.

You seem to forgotten that he hasn't run for office in almost twenty years. He's going to be very rusty in his return to the political arena.

He'll be running against Donald Trump. The only reason Trump won was because his opponent was Hillary Clinton. Gore doesn't have the twenty years worth of baggage, the scandals, the email thing hanging over his head. Trump only won because Hillary was the weakest candidate fielded since Dukakis. Gore might be rusty, but he's a good salesman, and that's all campaigning is.
Higgins
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 05:55:17 PM »

Gore is acting like a candidate.  He's making appearances here and there, getting free publicity, has a new movie out.  He's cutting a higher profile, the kind of profile that leads folks to have that Eureka! moment when thinking of Gore versus the rest of the Democratic field.  He's got the stature of Biden, but he's also attached to a key issue (environment) in the sense Sanders is, and he's won the popular vote once, like Hillary did.  Of the top tier of candidates, Gore seems to have the plusses without too many of the minuses.  He's well vetted; his liabilities won't be a surprise, but won't render him "under investigation".  I strongly believe that Gore intends to run, and I believe, only a little less strongly, that he would be the most formidable candidate at this point, all things considered.

You seem to forgotten that he hasn't run for office in almost twenty years. He's going to be very rusty in his return to the political arena.

He'll be running against Donald Trump. The only reason Trump won was because his opponent was Hillary Clinton. Gore doesn't have the twenty years worth of baggage, the scandals, the email thing hanging over his head. Trump only won because Hillary was the weakest candidate fielded since Dukakis. Gore might be rusty, but he's a good salesman, and that's all campaigning is.

Quite the irony of history there. Gore running four years after a Clinton, who herself is called the weakest candidate since Dukakis, who actually beat Gore in the '88 primary. Maybe the "young blood / fresh face" issue with democrats is pretty deep, if we are at this point.

That being said, this may be the best time, as stated, for Gore to run since at least 2000. In fact, if he had won in '00, lost in '04 (which is practically guaranteed) and we had a rather similar-to-OTL McCain, McCain, Clinton, Trump series going up until 2020, it would even be time for him to perhaps run again.

I'm not sure if Gore could do anything to flip anything but Florida the south, (god help us if he lost Florida again), he did lose quite a bit of it back in the day, and rigid environmentalism may not be what the rust belt wants to hear.... but at least he seems more charismatic than he was in 2000 and if he had a younger VP from the right state it could work better than some other potential candidates.

We're in a time where Donald Trump is President. I would say all previous precedents are shattered going forward.

I never much liked Gore (as a potential candidate) until recently. He was stiff and uncharismatic in 2000. He had a cockiness about him that Hillary had in 2016. But being beaten, and mocked has humbled him. Watching him in interviews he cuts quite the Presidential figure, and he seems to have truly grown and gotten wiser since 2000. I would vote for Gore in a heartbeat.

Gore/Harris?

Gore/Gabbard?

Higgins
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 05:56:46 PM »

Gore defeating Trump in 2020, twenty years after his loss to GW Bush, would be the most delicious irony ever. Things would feel like they came full circle. Can you imagine the salt from the GOP/Trumpers if Gore defeated their leader?
Higgins
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 09:40:59 PM »

I agree, the current Democratic bench is very weak, if Gore ran he'd be the strongest candidate

My fellow Democrats seem to gravely underestimate the weakness of the potential candidates. Between Harris, Gabbard, Booker, and the rest there is not a single winner. There are plenty of great VP picks, but no one who could defeat Trump. The only ones I see as capable of beating Trump are Biden, Gore, Cuomo (only if he picks a progressive as VP). I don't see Sanders as winning a general election. I think you'd see a 2008 sized thrashing if Sanders is the nominee, and a 1996 size win for Trump if Harris, Gabbard or any of the rest besides Biden and Gore are.
Higgins
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 09:42:37 PM »

If a Gore 2020 platform contains both single-payer healthcare and the abolishment of the electoral college (in addition to his trademark environmentalism), the Dems may have a chance at unity.

He's also probably the only candidate who could make "Hindsight is 2020" his slogan and make it work.

He shouldn't make such a personalized slogan. Reminds me too much of "I'm With Her". Something like "A Return to Decency" would be better. The Democratic ticket of 2020 needs their equivalent of MAGA - something vague, universal, and empowering.
Higgins
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 09:43:26 PM »

No. If we are going to run an old relic of the past I'd rather it be Biden. Gore can have a cabinet post though.

Yet you'll endorse Sanders who has been in Washington 30 years, has very little legislative accomplishments under his belt, and is older than both Biden and Gore.
Higgins
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 01:04:39 AM »

If a Gore 2020 platform contains both single-payer healthcare and the abolishment of the electoral college (in addition to his trademark environmentalism), the Dems may have a chance at unity.

He's also probably the only candidate who could make "Hindsight is 2020" his slogan and make it work.

He shouldn't make such a personalized slogan. Reminds me too much of "I'm With Her". Something like "A Return to Decency" would be better. The Democratic ticket of 2020 needs their equivalent of MAGA - something vague, universal, and empowering.

I don't think we should be recycling 100 year old Republican campaign slogans.

Trump used 30 and 40 year old Republican slogans and phrases, it worked. Beat them at their own game.
Higgins
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 04:57:29 PM »

Too old, doesn't want the job, would get absolutely whacked for everything he said in the 1980s and 1990s, and clearly wants to spend more time with his Money.

Why do people keep forgetting that Trump is 71? You act like Al Gore is 70 and Trump is 45.
Higgins
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 12:54:04 PM »

Too old, doesn't want the job, would get absolutely whacked for everything he said in the 1980s and 1990s, and clearly wants to spend more time with his Money.

Why do people keep forgetting that Trump is 71? You act like Al Gore is 70 and Trump is 45.
Because Trump doesn't act like a 71 year old man.

So basically the debate would be between an adult, and a manchild. Because said adult is not Hillary Clinton, Trump would lose.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies